• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealer Rater Question

Tallcool1

Boss
Mar 17, 2014
Awards
First Name
Clint
I recently received a call from a Dealer Rater representative asking me to subscribe to their service, get my inventory posted on yet ANOTHER really important Marketplace, etc..

During the sales pitch, the rep actually came right out and told me that if a negative review is posted it goes into a "held status" until the customer is contacted to actually confirm the information in the review. At that point the dealer that did a bad job and pissed off the customer gets contacted before this review goes any farther.

Is this true?

How does everyone feel about this?

1. I use DealerRater with various clients and post their inventory to it - the value of the inventory being there is minimal at best
2. Negative reviews are help temporarily so you have a chance to respond to them - they have a "go live" date for when they will be posted. I've never seen it based on anything besides that - just gives you a lead time to make sure you don't have unquestioned negative reviews.

I feel like DealerRater is a good platform, good tool and is great if you can get your whole team onboard.
The negative review handling is helpful, but I don't feel that it's an unfair advantage or anything like that.

Clint - DealerRater provides a 2 Week Grace Period to those that Subscribe to them as a "Certified Dealer," (other options may be available now) where you can respond to the customer to try and fix the review.

The customer at that point can do 1 of 3 things..

1. Leave review as it stands and let it go live
2. Edit review to be a positive review and let it go live
3. Remove the review

Being able to stop bad reviews from being posted in my opinion is a BAD thing... I'd rather show my customers that we get bad reviews from time to time but work hard to resolve ALL issues within reason, instead of not having ANY at all. Makes it look fake imho.

Good luck.

Being able to stop bad reviews from being posted in my opinion is a BAD thing... I'd rather show my customers that we get bad reviews from time to time but work hard to resolve ALL issues within reason, instead of not having ANY at all. Makes it look fake imho.

Good luck.

I agree with you. From a prospective customer's point of view, I really don't like it.

I was just surprised when I was told this. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a customer review?

I agree with you. From a prospective customer's point of view, I really don't like it.

I was just surprised when I was told this. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a customer review?

No, because you cannot block or stop them - you can only respond to them.
At best you convince the customer to take down the review on their own.

No, because you cannot block or stop them - you can only respond to them.
At best you convince the customer to take down the review on their own.

I say that the review should post as written, and the customer should then have the option of posting the events (if any) that took place after they wrote the review. I don't believe that a customer should have to be "convinced" to change or drop a review before it ever goes live.

I just feel that the integrity of the whole process comes into question when any potential negative review has to be double checked by the vendor, and then the author has to face the person that already dropped the ball.

Does Dealer Rater need positive confirmation from the customer on a 4 1/2 star review as well...does the dealer get a chance to talk that customer up to 5 stars?

May as well just buy a bunch of positive reviews.

I don’t have the opportunity to write here often but thought I would write this down for your consideration……

Since the early days of the internet we learned that people who are not happy will write about their experience somewhere on the internet, whether that is on Facebook , Twitter, a blog or somewhere else. What we wish to accomplish is to have a neutral place whereby we can reach out to a customer who feels strongly that we failed to meet their needs while at our store and hopefully resolve the issue and recapture that person as a valued customer. The DealerRater platform and process provides this for both our store and our clients.

The DealerRater review process is one that has been well tested and well documented for several years. Our experience is that the customer who generally writes a negative review is simply wishing for someone to listen and finally resolve their concern. Having a 2 week grace period before the negative review goes live allows us to see if we can resolve the issue with the customer. Whether the client changes the review or leaves the review as written is solely up to that person, as it should be.

Here is the interesting point about the DealerRater program that is key to its success with many of the dealers that actively use DealerRater.

The bottom line: “does it improve customer service and the customer experience, and in turn sell more cars”? The answer is a resounding “YES”. The DealerRater review process simply makes us better at what we do as it has influenced and changed our culture at the employee level. How? Not long after we started working with DealerRater one of our service team members said in a meeting “We all try a little harder now to do everything we can to satisfy our customer as you never know when we may be reviewed”.

What has happened over time is that our staff has simply gotten better at customer service and the experience we provide our clients. High level customer service has become such an ingrained aspect that it is now simply part of the process and part of our culture. We are just performing at a higher level of customer satisfaction as a “habit” and it simply is the way we do business now. Truly, having DealerRater as part of our culture has dramatically improved our customer service level.

Has having DealerRater as part of our process (including the negative review process) benefited our store in sales? The answer is YES. Three years ago we processed about 850 repair orders a month, whereas recently we just passed 1400. Sales 3 years ago we averaged about 85 vehicle sales a month, recently we just passed 130 sold in a month.

We hear it all the time from many of our customers, that they are in the store because they read our reviews, including negative reviews. Recently a customer said to me “I read your 6 negative reviews and liked how you guys responded to each and tried to look after your customer” and it’s impressive that you have 390 positives. That particular client bought a vehicle that day.

The DealerRater negative review process is very fair to both the customer and to the Dealer as it provides a neutral platform for dialog and hopefully resolution. We as a dealership realize that the customer is in control and makes the choice if a negative review is left as originally written. However, we also know and have learned that a negative only remains a negative if you do not respond to the client that wrote it. People who are online reading DealerRater negative reviews are more interested in how you as a dealer responded to that negative and how you tried to resolve the issue, as they learn how your team will respond to them if they have a poor experience.

Sincerely, DealerRater is now considered one of our most valued and key business partners, one that makes us better at what we do, and as a result helps sell more vehicles.

Cheers
John O.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Kershner
I say that the review should post as written, and the customer should then have the option of posting the events (if any) that took place after they wrote the review. I don't believe that a customer should have to be "convinced" to change or drop a review before it ever goes live.

I just feel that the integrity of the whole process comes into question when any potential negative review has to be double checked by the vendor, and then the author has to face the person that already dropped the ball.

Does Dealer Rater need positive confirmation from the customer on a 4 1/2 star review as well...does the dealer get a chance to talk that customer up to 5 stars?

May as well just buy a bunch of positive reviews.

Clint, maybe I can help provide a different perspective on this for you.

I'm a longtime fan of DealerRater, as it provides dealers the only 3rd party / consumer facing review platform that allows you (the dealer) to help manage their online reputation, at least within the DealerRater ecosystem. They also offer a dashboard that allows you to manage several other review websites.

If a dealer signs up to be DealerRater certified, typically this means the dealership is taking their online review with some degree of seriousness. Allowing bad reviews to have a 2 week gave period may initially lean a bit towards the dealerships advantage but until you step through the actual process of working with a customer that has written a bad review, it's hard to throw out a negative opinion. I personally appreciated it, especially when first getting a dealer onboard to accept and understand the importance of reputation. Remember, if nothing is done to make the customer feel better (even if something is done), the bad review or edited bad review still goes live unless the customer doesn't respond back to the dealership within the allocated time frame. This measurement helps prevent other from gaming the system.

For me online reputation and reviews goes much deeper than stars and reviews. It's a tool you can use to help pioneer real change at your dealership. DealerRater provides dealers the platform to prepare, promote and build a process for that change.

What I don't agree with is dealers cherry picking and systems that ALLOW dealers to cherry pick their reviews by only asking customers that have a high probability to leave a positive review. This is GAMING the system and strips away from the true value of online reviews and word of mouth. IF you're going to do it (online reviews) for all the right reasons, then you need to allow each and every sales and service customer the opportunity to review their experience. Be prepared for some no so great reviews - which is great, because this is how you change.