Welcome to the DealerRefresh Dealer Forums!

Join Us- the first original online community for dealers and like minded professionals in the automotive industry. Exchange ideas, best practices, converse with some of the brightest individuals in the business. After or before you register, please take a moment read the Rules and Directions

1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Digital Dealer 12 - #DD12 - What did you think?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jerry Thibeau, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Jerry Thibeau

Jerry Thibeau Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Jerry
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Phone Ninjas
    Twitter Handle:
    thephoneninja
    Any Dealer Refresh peeps coming to Digital Dealer 12?

-- Now that it's over, WHAT DID YOU WALK AWAY FROM?

[video=youtube_share;7M_u4ZXyxcc]http://youtu.be/7M_u4ZXyxcc[/video]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jeff Kershner

Jeff Kershner Founder Staff Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    dealerrefresh
    Re: Digital Dealer 12

Seems like a lot of people here on DR are not attending this session. Or so it seems.

You know I'll be there Jerry. Sporting the HookLogic shirt and working the booth.

I hope everyone attending has a great #DD12
  3. JQuinn

JQuinn Super Moderator

First Name:
    John
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    JohnGQuinn

Alex chained me to a desk. :(
  4. ddavis

ddavis Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Doug
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Retired

My boss would question any organization that would invite me. Not that I got an invitation.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. CAORYAN

CAORYAN Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Ryan
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Black Book USA

Jerry,

Im here! We also have the BBall going again if you want to give it another try :) Ed Parkinson our VP of sales is speaking on Wednesday at 10AM. I have heard his presentation and I love it! He is an amazing speaker. Come see me at # 339.
  6. JoePistell

JoePistell Uncle Joe

First Name:
    Joe
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Dealer.com
    Twitter Handle:
    JoePistell

DD12 attendance looks way way off, down 50% by my estimate. I went to 4 presentations and walked out of 2. Nothing fresh here. Everyone complaining of very slow Internet.

Looking to fly out a day early... Next.
  7. jdavidson

jdavidson Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Joel
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Barkley Buick GMC Truck Cadillac, Inc.

Thanks for the update and for making me feel better about skipping. Glad to know I made the right decision! Maybe now the conference will get small enough to return to Nashville. :D
  8. Bill Simmons

Bill Simmons Refresher

First Name:
    Bill
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Haley Auto Group
    Twitter Handle:
    haleycertified

I had the same feeling about the attendance Joe. But I had 2 vendors tell me that the reported attendance was higher than the Fall meeting in Vegas? This one lacked the energy level of the Fall meeting for some reason. I did however sit in on some great dealer panel sessions and enjoyed hearing Joonika Holmes from Google speak. It seemed a hot topic of conversation was the percentage mix of traditional versus digital marketing ad budgets. The numbers were all over the board but the consensus seemed to be that if you were not at least 50% digital you may me losing ground to your competition.

Oh, and those ActiveEngage and Hook Logic people really know how to throw a party!
  9. ajholland

ajholland Refresher

First Name:
    Aaron
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Comcast Spotlight

I didn't go, never been to the Spring DD. Maybe 2x per year is too much, dealers probably don't see enough value in going twice. I will attend in October most likely.
  10. Jeff Kershner

Jeff Kershner Founder Staff Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    dealerrefresh
    Yes, the attendance was low and from the vendor side, the attendance of decision makers seemed low as well. But that's usually the norm unless it's hosted in Las Vegas. :)

Speaking from my side in the HookLogic booth, we were extremely busy most of the time on Wednesday. There was 3-4 hour window of non-stop speaking with dealers.

The Buzz from dealers was the usual. The green peas are overwhelmed and have a lot of great things to say while the dealers that "get it" walk away with little to talk about. But let's face it - the ones that get it are already here on DealerRefresh, their reading Driving Sales and the several other industry forums. Their the ones that are working for cream of the crop and the more progressive dealers that "get it". We get more from the networking and meeting new people in the industry and many times best of all having the opportunity to place a face with a name of someone that you've had online conversations with.

With that being said - if you attended #DD12, whether good or bad - WHAT did you walk away with?

What was your most favorite session??
  11. Jerry Thibeau

First Name:
    Jerry
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Phone Ninjas
    Twitter Handle:
    thephoneninja
    I only went to 4 sessions. The first was hosted Todd Smith and as always Todd delivered cutting edge material. Todd is a pioneer when it comes to Internet and showcasing trends and products. If you have never seen Todd speak, seek him out in the future.

The second session was hosted by Kevin Frye and Kevin was well prepared with a good presentation that delivered good content and many laughs.

The third session I attended was the one where I delivered Mystery Shop Challenge II in the main arena. I was quite surprised by the quality of the phone shops this year. Two of the people we shopped were clients or previous clients. We did get a couple of duds that delivered a less than desirable phone experience. Jessie Hawkins from Jud Koon Chevrolet walked away with the iPad3 prize.

The last session I attended was on the last day which is always a tough day to speak since most people are hungover or have gone home. This session was hosted by Elise Kephart and I was quite surprised to see that she packed the room as a first time speaker. Elise delivered a great presentation on creating videos and making the most of YouTube.

Attendance was light overall, but we did have some great traffic stop by the Phone Ninjas booth and I am confident my investment in Digital Dealer will be repaid ten fold.
  12. Bill Simmons

Bill Simmons Refresher

First Name:
    Bill
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Haley Auto Group
    Twitter Handle:
    haleycertified
    It would be hard for me to pick just one favorite session. I tried to attend as many sessions that included dealer panels this year. I wanted to hear from the top notch dealership employees that were on the panels and get their insights. Joe Webb, Shaun Raines, and David Metter all moderated great panel discussions.

The top two sessions that I attended that were not dealer panels were the ones given by Kevin Frye and Jim Flint. Kevin's presentation was full of great advice and was entertaining as well. Jim's presentation focused on the mix of traditional advertising versus digital ad budgets for the dealer group that he works with, the John Eagle Group in Texas. Jim's presentation gives me the ammo that I need to get our other stores more involved in digital marketing. Some of our stores still lean way too heavy on tradtional advertising and are lacking in any form of digital.

Biggest lesson learned: Retargeting/remarketing. This is an area that we have not been involved in yet but need to be.

Most powerful statement that I heard was from Andrew DiFeo from St Augustine Hyundai. The panel was discussing ZMOT/stimulus and how that relates to a dealers decision on ad budget. Andrew feels that Hyundai spends enough money on stimulus advertising that he does not need to spend anything in traditional media and is 100% budgeted towards digital. That was a real eye opener and it makes perfect sense if you have a hot product like Hyundai is right now.
  13. Tarry Shebesta

Tarry Shebesta Noob

First Name:
    Tarry
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DriveItNow
    Twitter Handle:
    @DriveItNow_com
    I would have to agree with

There are some new ideas and things that dealers are succeeding with in the industry but it looks like unless a vendor pays to exhibit or sponsor, you will not hear about it at DigitalDealer.

I think it should be renamed "Tier 10 Digital Dealer"

Sorry Ralph but the self promotion in the seminars and lack of showing dealers what is really out there in the industry was a total disservice to the industry.

I have a call with Joel this week to discuss.

I talked to many other vendors and they planned not to return and focus more on the Driving Sales event.
  14. Jerry Thibeau

First Name:
    Jerry
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Phone Ninjas
    Twitter Handle:
    thephoneninja
    I had heard there were four cases of self promotion taking place in seminars. I do know that the folks from Digital Dealer will take action on those who violated the policy.

Some people just don't understand that self promotion is the worst way to land a client at seminars or here on DR. You're better off giving free material and people will seek you out when ready.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Tarry Shebesta

Tarry Shebesta Noob

First Name:
    Tarry
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DriveItNow
    Twitter Handle:
    @DriveItNow_com
    Jerry- I know you were a vendor there but I was told by some vendors that they were "encouraged" to self promote. I'm wondering if this was for specific vendors.

I think we are going to see how we fair at DrivingSales this fall with a booth.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012