• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Do you give Trade-in figures online?

Jlewis74

Boss
Mar 21, 2013
First Name
Jeremy
Just wondering if you are willing to give figures on a trade-in to an online shopper? I am shopping right now and submitted my car info to a dealer and the guy refused to give me any figures over the phone but encourged me to go shop around and bring him my best numbers and he would beat them. I felt like I was on the other end of the phone in Joe Webbs "Just get em in" video.

Reactions: 1 person
Well you've gotta bring them to church before they can get baptized ;)

When it comes to trade, I'll usually give them some kind of book figures and let them know that we can adjust the price from there based on condition, let them tell me how new the tires are etc, and say that when we see it, we'll be able to take those types of things into account in the appraisal.

Reactions: 2 people
Well you've gotta bring them to church before they can get baptized ;)

When it comes to trade, I'll usually give them some kind of book figures and let them know that we can adjust the price from there based on condition, let them tell me how new the tires are etc, and say that when we see it, we'll be able to take those types of things into account in the appraisal.

That is pretty much all I wanted just to verify what I thought the ball park was and the guy just said that he was sorry if he could not get my business but he was not going to give me anything over the phone/internet. I ended up email him his GM and the Owner Joe Webb's video "Just Get'em In".

@Jlewis...

and you would rather your sales people give out numbers over the phone?

customers always want more for their trade in, if they get that number over the phone and don't like it they won't go to the dealership and we won't be able to sell them a car.

@Jlewis...

and you would rather your sales people give out numbers over the phone?

customers always want more for their trade in, if they get that number over the phone and don't like it they won't go to the dealership and we won't be able to sell them a car.

Not the salesperson alone, but with all the tools today i would think they (management) could give something and be confident in the number they are giving. Or I guess their are 3rd party applications that give numbers like Pure Cars, do dealers hold true to these numbers? I guess the other part that factors in is are dealers still over allowing? Or are they dealing more with ACV numbers?

again, why would they tell you? once they tell you - you have the information you need and most likely won't come in. we are in business to sell cars, that's how we put food in our cupboards. giving you all the information over the phone means we most likely won't sell you a car.

again, why would they tell you? once they tell you - you have the information you need and most likely won't come in. we are in business to sell cars, that's how we put food in our cupboards. giving you all the information over the phone means we most likely won't sell you a car.

So you expect them to come in if you dont provide them with the infomation they are looking for??? I know what you do I have been in your shoes. Do you not think that if the information you give is good info the customer will trust you and come in? I love the car business but many of the old time tactics drive me crazy and they are what gives the car bizz a bad image to the buying public.

Not sure if you have ever seen this but give me your thoughts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BsBJ2wpi5o

You have to accept the fact that they're already shopping you.

Try and overcome the objection a couple times but if you're unsuccessful then give him a range or an "as much as" then go back to building value in yourself, dealership, and/or process.

Jeremy, do you live near Chicago? As a member of our customer care team I'm here to ensure our guests have a comfortable and enjoyable experience. I'd be happy to have my pre-owned manager help you with an appraisal before you visit. :D