• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Do you take your own photos?

Matt, I have a suggestion. If you are near a college that offers photography classes, go to the school and speak with the teacher. Ask if they have anyone who would be interested in a little extra cash. You can usually find someone willing to work for cheap and will do a better job than most people you would hire. Have them come in for a couple hours 4 or 5 days a week and pay per car. I actually think that free food is good also if they are doing a good job.

I did this 4 years ago, and have been doing it ever since.

Basic computer skills come with the territory when you hire a college photography student to take your pics. Training is minimal, and the quality of photos is fantastic.

I provide a computer, and a DSLR camera with a wide angle lens, and pay $8.00 per hour. 35 hours per week. 350 -380 new/used inventory.

I weed out the lazy ones, by requiring that the applicants have the ability to shoot a DSLR on manual, and setup external flashes. lol

Quality can be done by the 3rd party...

Shoot out on the street (no inside area at the dealer) with a Cannon DSLR by a 3rd party

Photos

By the numbers that Bustin ran, if I was in his area I would cost him about $1000 more than what he pays but he wouldn't have to do HR, training, or provide equipment.

When I sold cars my managers wanted me free at all times because I could make those $250/week in 5 minutes. So my question is:

If quality can be equal (or batter by a proffesional), and service can be 5 times a week, at what point the money saved is better than the dealer's time invested?

We take everything in house with two photographers that also are responsible for affixing the window labels and some vehicle descriptions. Here are a few examples:

#9938-09 TOYOTA CAMRY SE-SILVER 038.jpgcars 072.jpg#8180- 05 AUDI A4-BLU 078.jpg

As you can tell we've experimented with a few different light setups. We're currently undergoing a remodel of our studio (repainting walls, turntable and all new lighting). I'll put some pics up when we finish.

Reactions: 1 person
...As you can tell we've experimented with a few different light setups. We're currently undergoing a remodel of our studio (repainting walls, turntable and all new lighting). I'll put some pics up when we finish.

Great work Jamie!

Lets talk about what you've got and what your changing and why your changing it.

#1). Lighting.
Love your overhead lighting on the Toyota. As compared to the Jeep below it, the Jeep has "hot spots" from the overhead lighting. Was there any change between the two cars? If so, what was done?

#2). Backdrop.
IMO, You hit the wall when you use an all white backdrop. White cars "vanish" and dark cars compete with the super strong all-white. What are your plans here?

We use a cream colored tarp and I want to upgrade to a neutral backdrop with a goal to add some "depth" to the shot. IMO, the human eye hunts for a reference to give it "scale". Cars floating in an all-white cloud (white floor & white back drop) lack this "visual reference".

#3). Interior Shots.
This is a real problem for me. Indirect light is what I want (no shadows or hot spots). I am thinking that a 2nd lighting system is needed for interior shots. I haven't solved this puzzle yet, any ideas?

Great work! If you have some interior shots, or, post your site's web address here, I'd love to see your work.

Thnx!

Last edited:
Hey Joe,

I replied in your quote in bold below;

Great work Jamie! Thank you but all the credit is really for our photogs! I will pass along the compliment!

Lets talk about what you've got and what your changing and why your changing it. Camera is a Nikon D5000 with an 18-55mm lens. We are more updating the studio than completely changing things. So fresh coats of paint, and updated lighting (not sure which direction just yet, possibly LED, HMI, or even strobe).

#1). Lighting.
Love your overhead lighting on the Toyota. As compared to the Jeep below it, the Jeep has "hot spots" from the overhead lighting. Was there any change between the two cars? If so, what was done? "Hot Spots" is definitely key, or lack thereof. I gotta be honest, that particular Camry was before my time here but I can tell you that we will be utilizing a Butterfly Nylon sheet hanging just under our lighting for softening.

#2). Backdrop.
IMO, You hit the wall when you use an all white backdrop. White cars "vanish" and dark cars compete with the super strong all-white. What are your plans here?

We use a cream colored tarp and I want to upgrade to a neutral backdrop with a goal to add some "depth" to the shot. IMO, the human eye hunts for a reference to give it "scale". Cars floating in an all-white cloud (white floor & white back drop) lack this "visual reference". You're absolutely right here. White can definitely pose a challenge. We are going to be experimenting with some different paint/textures and lighting for this. When we get it right I will let you know!

#3). Interior Shots.
This is a real problem for me. Indirect light is what I want (no shadows or hot spots). I am thinking that a 2nd lighting system is needed for interior shots. I haven't solved this puzzle yet, any ideas? I do not believe we were using anything other than reflecting light from outside the vehicles. If this isn't available maybe a flash with a softbox would work?

Great work! If you have some interior shots, or, post your site's web address here, I'd love to see your work. When the studio is back up and running I will be more than happy to share but at the moment vehicles are simply being staged outside (which is driving us nuts!) so I don't think there's much to see in terms of lighting and such. I will get some interior shots up for you.

Thnx!