• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Evergreen content on your site

I agree with your first two paragraphs (assessments), but not the last paragraph.

I disagree, Google makes the rules whether we like it or not and they literally are asking you to install rich / structured data / schema in order to improve the likelihood of their bots' understanding of your website. Unfortunately, digital marketing pretty much lives and dies according to their good graces.

We disagree on this one. I could spend hours filling this blog with failed Google programs.

Anyone remember the Wilfire program (Google ends Wildfire program)? Google bought this scam of a company for $350 million. Since you bring Brian Pasch below in your conversation, Google even reached out to people like Brian and trying to use his contacts and expertise to expand in the automotive arena.

The nature of their business, to be at the edge of consumer search, forces them to adventure into new arenas which a much higher rate of failures (Facebook famous fail fast approach).

Whether you follow all their new approaches and/or programs is up to you.

The application of schema and structured data makes it much easier for robots to process your website data. Google Search works hard to understand the content of a page. However, you can provide explicit clues about the meaning of a page to Google by including structured data on the page. Structured data is a standardized format for providing information about a page and classifying the page content. Now, whether schema and structured data equate to higher rankings or visibility, it can be argued.

I never argued its purpose, it sounds great, we implemented it.

What I argue, as you said, is whether a website company shouldn't be fired or not based on having or not having schema. There are a dozen items a lot more important than having schema.

I also argue that because automotive websites almost have no content, schema doesn't help Google understand its context (Google already knows you sell Toyotas in Little Town). Even so when having content, Google seems to chose what schema they use and what schema they don't, so far bypassing small/mid size businesses data.

in my opinion the impact of schema on auto dealer websites has been zero.

It can only help, not hinder. If an automotive platform fails to apply schema, I'd look elsewhere if I were a dealer (because it shows you the platform provider isn't paying attention to the basics, so wonder what else they are missing???). I hold no allegiance to any automotive web platform vendor, completely indifferent here, but let's be honest about it. We all can decipher those platforms that perform poorly, well and super. Pasch, Wikimotive and the like grade those.

In the case of schema I agree with you, the code is very light and simple.

As a way of coding, I disagree. Not everything helps (anyone with feedback from their $2,000/month Google wildfire fee?), not everything comes without a cost. Programing power is limited, not just money wise, but finding the proper resources that understand automotive. System must be built following a complicated balance between what the SE, the OEM, the dealer, and the customer wants. If something like Schema, which we thought it would have 0 impact from the beginning, would have taken resources, do you want me to out 1-2 programmers to work on that or to add them to a project that will help you manage your inventory faster and save you working hours?

The choice that we make on the items that we build have real impact and consequences. We must chose carefully not to follow every single new idea that shows up.

Apply your client websites to this tool and see how they look...
https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool/u/0/

I did and found 1 error? Most of my competitor sites also had 1 or very few errors.

You can enhance your AMP content for Google Search by creating a basic AMP page, adding structured data, monitoring your pages, and practicing with codelabs.
https://developers.google.com/search/docs/guides/enhance-amp

Yeah, another great Google document. Our CMS at DealerEProcess.com is AMP ready. So every content page you build in our system is automatically mobile ready (responsive).

Great article, we are not only AMP ready but if you scroll to the bottom of the article you will see that our VP Dave Page is a spacer at Brian's conference. I will be there too if anyone is interested in catching up.

I would say as a word of caution; none of the examples provided on Brian's article are of automotive results and that is because not everything that Google implements reaches every industry sector. So while I agree with better mobile systems, as it is a top priority at DealerEProcess development team, always take with a grain of salt what you see:

Automotive SERPs are not working the same way news SERPs in Google

In mobile marketing, fast page load times (speed) is critical to increase conversion outcomes. In 2015, a consortium of companies, which included Google and Twitter, created an open specification for creating Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP). You can learn more about the project by visiting: https://www.ampproject.org/. Google AMP pages load in under one second on most devices.

Could't agree more BUT I can tell you that the issue of speed in automotive websites is not the website itself but the heavy load of graphics (banners for the most part), the fact that we have 4 businesses into one (new sales, used sales, parts, and service), and the heavy "recall" load (Carfax data recall, reviews recall, image, etc).

Pages can easily be faster, but a "common sense" balance needs to be applied not thinking that speed is everything to the consumer but also data available for each item. sites like eBay, Costco, or Amazon fail the worst at this test. Use common sense!

In the automotive industry Lotlinx and TECOBI have demonstrated the power of using AMP landing pages instead of existing dealership website pages, in mobile advertising campaigns.

Well... I have a strong opinion about this.

Not taking anything from those or any other company, but they get paid to create those landing pages. You can create the same exact mobile landing pages with our CMS in the back end of your website, as a matter of fact I would even say maybe a little better just because we have a few more pieces of data than they have.

You may not like this page, but it produces (dealer is top in his state). Larson Custom

That was created in our back end WITHOUT coding experience.

More importantly, if you're running a Wordpress-based site, there are plenty of free AMP plugins to be had. Dealer Inspire, etc. probably install those by default. Maximize your blog reach, going back to the original theme of this thead and evergreen content.

Oh I understand that! I started this company before content was cool in 2011 Content Motive so I have learned a few things about content. The first rule about content is: don't share what you know about content ;)

I created (actually I did, one of those rare moments that I actually did something) this page in 2014 (it has the date in the page). By today's standards is a bit crappy... but it brings 200+ visitors to this dealer every month for 3+ years. It actually brought over 8,000 visits. ROI of the charts, right?

Last edited:
We disagree on this one. I could spend hours filling this blog with failed Google programs.

Anyone remember the Wilfire program (Google ends Wildfire program)? Google bought this scam of a company for $350 million. Since you bring Brian Pasch below in your conversation, Google even reached out to people like Brian and trying to use his contacts and expertise to expand in the automotive arena.

The nature of their business, to be at the edge of consumer search, forces them to adventure into new arenas which a much higher rate of failures (Facebook famous fail fast approach).

Whether you follow all their new approaches and/or programs is up to you.

I never argued its purpose, it sounds great, we implemented it.

What I argue, as you said, is whether a website company shouldn't be fired or not based on having or not having schema. There are a dozen items a lot more important than having schema.

I also argue that because automotive websites almost have no content, schema doesn't help Google understand its context (Google already knows you sell Toyotas in Little Town). Even so when having content, Google seems to chose what schema they use and what schema they don't, so far bypassing small/mid size businesses data.

in my opinion the impact of schema on auto dealer websites has been zero.

In the case of schema I agree with you, the code is very light and simple.

As a way of coding, I disagree. Not everything helps (anyone with feedback from their $2,000/month Google wildfire fee?), not everything comes without a cost. Programing power is limited, not just money wise, but finding the proper resources that understand automotive. System must be built following a complicated balance between what the SE, the OEM, the dealer, and the customer wants. If something like Schema, which we thought it would have 0 impact from the beginning, would have taken resources, do you want me to out 1-2 programmers to work on that or to add them to a project that will help you manage your inventory faster and save you working hours?

The choice that we make on the items that we build have real impact and consequences. We must chose carefully not to follow every single new idea that shows up.

I did and found 1 error? Most of my competitor sites also had 1 or very few errors.

Yeah, another great Google document. Our CMS at DealerEProcess.com is AMP ready. So every content page you build in our system is automatically mobile ready (responsive).

Great article, we are not only AMP ready but if you scroll to the bottom of the article you will see that our VP Dave Page is a spacer at Brian's conference. I will be there too if anyone is interested in catching up.

I would say as a word of caution; none of the examples provided on Brian's article are of automotive results and that is because not everything that Google implements reaches every industry sector. So while I agree with better mobile systems, as it is a top priority at DealerEProcess development team, always take with a grain of salt what you see:

Automotive SERPs are not working the same way news SERPs in Google

Could't agree more BUT I can tell you that the issue of speed in automotive websites is not the website itself but the heavy load of graphics (banners for the most part), the fact that we have 4 businesses into one (new sales, used sales, parts, and service), and the heavy "recall" load (Carfax data recall, reviews recall, image, etc).

Pages can easily be faster, but a "common sense" balance needs to be applied not thinking that speed is everything to the consumer but also data available for each item. sites like eBay, Costco, or Amazon fail the worst at this test. Use common sense!

Well... I have a strong opinion about this.

Not taking anything from those or any other company, but they get paid to create those landing pages. You can create the same exact mobile landing pages with our CMS in the back end of your website, as a matter of fact I would even say maybe a little better just because we have a few more pieces of data than they have.

You may not like this page, but it produces (dealer is top in his state). Larson Custom

That was created in our back end WITHOUT coding experience.

Oh I understand that! I started this company before content was cool in 2011 Content Motive so I have learned a few things about content. The first rule about content is: don't share what you know about content ;)

I created (actually I did, one of those rare moments that I actually did something) this page in 2014 (it has the date in the page). By today's standards is a bit crappy... but it brings 200+ visitors to this dealer every month for 3+ years. It actually brought over 8,000 visits. ROI of the charts, right?
Well, I think we agree on many things here. Your points are all valid.

I'm attempting to show the usefulness of structured data and schema. It's shelf life with Google, who the hell knows? As for the business side of it, surely money talks. :)

content-distribution-matrix-smart-insights.jpg

Just throwing it out there - Schema markup has plenty of use above and beyond Google as well.
It's used to validate addresses and contact information, used by business directory scrapers and will likely be used much more as Google begins to venture into Automotive as a product.

It may not have game changing value today, but at the cost to implement it I 100% agree that all sites should have it.
Making it easier for "robots" to understand the products, services and location of a dealership seems like it can only have positives.

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
From 2015, but pretty useful, especially with screenshots.

The JSON-LD Markup Guide To Local Business Schema
https://whitespark.ca/blog/the-json-ld-markup-guide-to-local-business-schema/

If you've got a Wordpress-based website from the likes of Dealer Inspire, etc. there are freeware and cheap plugins to do it yourself, but chances are those platforms using WP have it covered for you by proxy / default.

It's OK to steal from other industries and apply.

25 Copy-and-Paste Blog Post Templates—UPDATED with 8 New Templates!
https://www.smartpassiveincome.com/blog-post-templates
  1. Make a Predictions Post
  2. Things You Might Not Know About Me
  3. Why I Don’t Do ‘X’
  4. (Famous Person Guide) To (Blank)
  5. Case Study
  6. Product Showdowns
  7. ‘X’ Things You Must Do After (Blank)
  8. How To (Blank) In (X Number of Days / Hours)
  9. Experimental Posts
  10. Comprehensive Pillar Posts
  11. (Insert Desired Benefit) That No One Talks About
  12. Blog Post Roundup
  13. Things I Wish I Had Done Differently
  14. The Tools of the Trade
  15. Ask / Involve the Reader!
  16. Debunk Industry Myths
  17. Comment on Industry Gossip
  18. New Product, Course, or Book Launch
  19. Celebrate An Anniversary
  20. Special Announcement Post