• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook Likes for your dealership - How are you getting more?

Wow. I guess I have some explaining to do! In my original comment, I said that I sold 5 last week from Facebook. (2) from my dealership page and (3) from my personal account. The (3) from my personal account is the easier of the two and I probably sell 5-8 a month by keeping tabs on my friends posts. People ALWAYS ask for help from their friends when looking for a new car. When they do, I pounce on their status' with a link to our website and say to check out our inventory and let me know if you see anything. If they are interested, I have my team get in contact with them. It's almost always an easy sale because they know me and they trust me. Even if we aren't the best price, that doesn't matter. It's all about trust. Now, I am on Facebook A LOT so it makes this easier. I also don't pimp my personal page about work stuff but I will chime in when someone is looking for help.

In regards to the work page, we have been doing give-a-ways lately. This past week I gave a way two Bills Tickets and 2 SU Football tickets. A Lot of people participated and a lot of people were sent to our websites. In the process, two people came in and bought cars. When they were (Sourced), they said they came in through the Facebook promo.

It's not an exact science, it's just a fun thing I do on the side that is rather fun. I love my job and I love spreading the word about Fox.

Reactions: 1 person
Ryan, how and why do you think this happened?

I realize this is a broad question but I believe you can answer it quite simply.

There IS money to be made in Social and it has one very positive ROI. In order to do this, one must understand the different levels of engagement, with whom they wish to engage - the psychographics of your FB customer base.

Who gives a shit about more "Likes". Go after QUALITY and the right quantity will come organically.

Waiting to hear your answer Ryan. :)

This is my biggest pet-peeve. I am VERY proud of my 621 Likes that I have gotten for us. They are ALL real and most of them are local. You get some "Distant" Likes by having contests but they normally stick around so it's worth it. When these vendors call me and want to run my Social Media I just laugh at them. They don't know our culture, our market, or our goal. We've created a nice little niche and I enjoy it. Having 50,000 Likes that are fake just doesn't help us at all. Most of the people just end up fighting and swearing on your wall and it becomes a big circus and it looks very unprofessional. And for what? To see who has the most likes? Doesn't make sense. I'd rather have 100 potential customers than 6,000 people from Alaska! It's not going to happen over night. You have to be patient!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Are there any buyers "sold" due to any one advertising source or medium?

I think the pretty clear answer is 'no' a majority of the time. Thought I was actually curious how and/or why the inquire for a vehicle via FB. Wondering if there was a particular status or maybe even a particular sales person they took a liking to. Believe it was answered ..

I said that I sold 5 last week from Facebook. (2) from my dealership page and (3) from my personal account.

It's not an exact science, it's just a fun thing I do on the side that is rather fun. I love my job and I love spreading the word about Fox.

First off, awesome - good to hear you love what you do! Second, this is exactly what I was looking to hear. I was wondering if people were inquiring on your COMPANY FB page asking:

"hey what's the best price you can give for me on stock# abc123?"

Sounds like what you are doing is using facebook to establish first contact. Which is .. smart. Good stuff. Thanks for replying back and/or the input.

Ryan, are you using a tracking number on Facebook? We are getting a fair amount of calls off Facebook to my surprise.

We've got 1,251 Likes on our page and our stats are all local. We stay engaged in our community events, asking questions, posting photos of people that bought and asking tags themselves. We post trivia asking to comment, comment on other businesses post that are relevant. Plus we are running a campaign this month where for every new like we will donate $1 to Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. We've run a few campaigns with it targeting our PMA that has given us 15,000 impressions and several hundred a day in social reach. It gets our local FB population to like us, and we're donating to a great cause. A quirky thing we do in the summer is ask people to post the hottest temp in their car on days over 95 and the hottest temp will win a $10 or $20 Tropical Smoothies card. But they have to like us. This has worked well and been fun for those that do it.

We also run a daily campaign, impressions only, that highlights our current post. This is getting great social reach for us, and it's getting attention.

Plus, the simple thing of asking your customer to like you works, and then gets their friends seeing you.

Last edited:
I'm encouraged that more dealers are starting to consider Facebook (and other Social Media) as marketing. Like all marketing, what you put into it, gets results.
Here are the top 4 reasons people like your page:
•They’re already a fan in real life & want to show their affiliation•Get exclusive deals & discounts
•Their friends like your page
•Your posts are engaging & highly sharable

As a user, if I tell my Facebook friends about your brand, it’s not because I like your brand but rather because I like my friends.

Getting Likes is only your first step. Today, it requires a budget for well-designed FB ads coupled with awesome content that's highly-relevant to your audience. I will share the 6 components that I believe are the key to successful Facebook marketing:

1.Clear objectives
2.Great design (Timeline, photos, landing pages, thumbnails)
3.Solid content strategy (what you’re going to post on your page)
4.Promotion strategy (how you’re going to continually increase your fan base)
5.Engagement strategy (how you’ll respond to fans and build community)
6.Conversion strategy (how you’ll turn your fans into customers)

Buying Facebook likes does absolutely nothing for your dealership. The numbers don't matter it's the engagement that matters.

Now how do you get real people in your area to engage? Well there are two proven methods.

1. Get everyone that visits your dealership to do a "Check In" on Facebook while they are there. This will show up on their timeline and all of their friends will see that they trusted your dealership enough to visit you and do a check in. This is great local advertising and it's free. I can't understand why GM's aren't making every sales person do it every time they are talking to someone!

2. Give people a reason to like and share your page. Once they like it you will be able to discretely market and entertain them via your page. In order to get them to like you to begin with, a contest is a great way to get them to do this. We like to run monthly contests where weekly winners are drawn. In order to enter your contest they have to like your page. Once they like it and enter, you give them a custom URL that they can use to recruit more people to enter the contest for you. For every person that enters the contest using their custom link, they get an extra entry in the drawing! We are using a great Facebook app for this feature and it's really paying off for our dealers that embrace the concept.

The key is to get creative and think about how to really engage people in your area with these powerful social engagement tools.

Buying Facebook likes does absolutely nothing for your dealership. The numbers don't matter it's the engagement that matters.

Now how do you get real people in your area to engage? Well there are two proven methods.

1. Get everyone that visits your dealership to do a "Check In" on Facebook while they are there. This will show up on their timeline and all of their friends will see that they trusted your dealership enough to visit you and do a check in. This is great local advertising and it's free. I can't understand why GM's aren't making every sales person do it every time they are talking to someone!

2. Give people a reason to like and share your page. Once they like it you will be able to discretely market and entertain them via your page. In order to get them to like you to begin with, a contest is a great way to get them to do this. We like to run monthly contests where weekly winners are drawn. In order to enter your contest they have to like your page. Once they like it and enter, you give them a custom URL that they can use to recruit more people to enter the contest for you. For every person that enters the contest using their custom link, they get an extra entry in the drawing! We are using a great Facebook app for this feature and it's really paying off for our dealers that embrace the concept.

The key is to get creative and think about how to really engage people in your area with these powerful social engagement tools.

Chris OR Kathi,

It seems that everyone agrees that engagement is what maters.

Do you have any, if it is even possible, data on what does it take effort/money wise to produce tangible results?

Chris OR Kathi,

It seems that everyone agrees that engagement is what maters.

Do you have any, if it is even possible, data on what does it take effort/money wise to produce tangible results?

If I may chime in here... I don't think it takes money. It takes a passion and a enjoyment for Facebook. If you (not YOU Yago) are one of those people that isn't personally active on FB then this way of word spreading isn't for you. And if you pay a 3rd party vendor to run your site, it will look and feel like all the others. A 'Caption this Picture" here and a "Share this cute photo" there. Not effective in my opinion. Interact with the people on your page. Show then you are real, be honest and have flaws. They will trust you and word will spread.