• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Feedback from dealers using TRUECar

Re: What is going on with True Car?

Jerry, I do not not believe that over 5500 dealers using TrueCar services do so because they are "lazy". The industry continues to change and the dealers that challenge their current processes and embrace change will continue to thrive. Technology and consumer behavior is also changing and I personally believe that in the next decade the phone will rarely be used in the sales process. As an industry, we need to embrace mobile platforms that enable our newest and future generations to shop and purchase vehicles in the same manner they shop for everything else in their lives. You can continue to hate TrueCar but it is unfair to call TrueCar dealers LAZY.

Mike

Walt, I am certainly biased as I am an executive at TrueCar, but can give you a few quick facts. Our billing model is a pay per sale model but certain states require subscription or other models. The majority of our referrals come from our large Affinity partners like Consumer Reports, USAA, AAA, Geico etc. We work with several OEM's that give special incentives to the members of our Affinity groups which helps you be more competitive and increase margin. We will continue to advertise to help drive traffic to our dealers as well as continue to evolve our business to support dealers and our members. The decision to add any vendor to your dealership is a personal one that should always be based on ROI or goodwill....Good Luck in 2013...Mike

Michael,

A visionary you are not! To say "the phone will rarely be used in the sales process" is ridiculous! Dealership phone calls are on the rise. The number one call we hear, "is the XXXXX still available?" This will continue for decades to come.

Your company is not creating value for the industry. You all make a living by interjecting yourselves between the customer and the dealership. A dealership doing a good job of marketing their business does not require the assistance of TrueCar. Fortunately for you there are dealers who take the easy way out and let companies like you feed them leads for a fee. To me that's lazy!

X number of vehicles were sold in 2012 and that number would not have been any different had TrueCar not existed. So how is it TrueCar adds value to the industry? Your number one reason for success is due to the negative perception the public has for dealerships. The majority of dealers run a great business, but it's the few bad apples that tarnish the industry as a whole. I wonder how the public would react if they knew about the hefty fee your company extracts from dealers?

Here's my prediction for TrueCar. You will have success for a few more years before your demise. One of two things will happen: A, dealers will wake up and turn you off like they did this time last year. B, the industry as a whole will start to adopt one price shopping. My bet is on B. When that day arrives, there will be no need for TrueCar to exist. As your company expedites it's advertising campaign, you shall in fact accelerate your destiny to extinction. Your company's success will not go unnoticed by the manufacturers. If consumers want one price shopping, manufacturers will adapt.

I would keep your resume up to date if I were you.

Reactions: 2 people
You can continue to hate TrueCar but it is unfair to call TrueCar dealers LAZY.

I don't think TrueCar dealers are lazy. I think inept and foolish is more appropriate. I say inept because if they marketed their cars properly, they wouldn't need TrueCar. Anyone that gives TrueCar access to their client database is a fool.

Reactions: 1 person
Has any one sat behind a desk for 3 years answering ZAG/ TrueCar leads ? I have.

I do not get all the negativity about TrueCar.

They provide solid leads with a higher closing ratio & I could care less about anything else.

Mike Timmons wrote : "Our billing model is a pay per sale model but certain states require subscription or other models. The majority of our referrals come from our large Affinity partners like Consumer Reports, USAA, AAA, Geico etc"

Our company was forced to jump ship because the State of Maryland would not allow "per sale" referral. Once we worked out the "subscription" cost, we jumped back on board. Why? Solid leads .

I'm with you on this Dan. I get tired of hearing of Jerry's and Doug's "Expert" opinion on how TruCar Dealers are lazy, Blah, Blah, Blah. I'm for whatever sells cars. We pulled A LOT of buyers from Fort Drumm that we would NEVER had sold had we'd not been on the program. We aren't with them now but we were, and I'm thinking about going back. Two people constantly bashing them won't bring them down. Time will tell. If they are around, great. If not, on to the next widget. How you can openly wish failure on someone or some product is beyond me. Sounds like jealously by a three year old.