• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Fixed Ops Mag site is hilarious

ryan.leslie

One of the good guys
Apr 20, 2009
Awards
First Name
Ryan
This seems to be the least used part of the forum, par for the course with fixed ops I suppose...

I'm a vendor that has been around variable ops for 5 plus years with data distribution and classified advertising and am now new to fixed ops. What gives with the fixedopsmag.com site? I realize their bread and butter is print, but that was true of all the magazines that folded in the last 6 months. The calendar of events is from 2008, need I say more? Not trying to pick on them specifically as this seems to be true of all of fixed ops. I know they have a great product and a lot of dealerships utilize them for information, that isn't the point. I'm curious as to why their readership hasn't demanded a current digital offering.

Somebody help me with this, is Fixed ops a decade behind variable on all things digital or am I looking in the wrong place? What will it take and when will fixed ops catch up to the marketing and communication strategies of variable?

Last edited:
This seems to be the least used part of the forum, par for the course with fixed ops I suppose...

I'm a vendor that has been around variable ops for 5 plus years with data distribution and classified advertising and am now new to fixed ops. What gives with the fixedopsmag.com site? I realize their bread and butter is print, but that was true of all the magazines that folded in the last 6 months. The calendar of events is from 2008, need I say more? Not trying to pick on them specifically as this seems to be true of all of fixed ops. I know they have a great product and a lot of dealerships utilize them for information, that isn't the point. I'm curious as to why their readership hasn't demanded a current digital offering.

Somebody help me with this, is Fixed ops a decade behind variable on all things digital or am I looking in the wrong place? What will it take and when will fixed ops catch up to the marketing and communication strategies of variable?

I'll help you, TWO DECADES.

Funny, I am not the only one who thinks Fixed Op's would really benefit from a technology "refresh". I was appointed Parts and Service Director with virtually no service or parts experience but instead a complete working knowledge of database administration, web scripting and good people skills. The result was 45% increase in operating profit 09 over 08, most of this accomplished by providing the service/parts salespeople the info they needed and holding them accountable to customer service and asking for the sale 100% of the time.

As it related to the Fixed Ops Mag site, I benefited from their perspective on the industry. I am a reader and a subscriber.

As it related to the Fixed Ops Mag site, I benefited from their perspective on the industry. I am a reader and a subscriber.

For the record, I didn't intend to flame fixed ops mag. If it came across that way to anyone I apologize to you and to them. After digging through their site a little deeper I did find that the digital archive was current, but the navigation pages didn't reflect that. The irony is that the cover story for the most recent mag in the archive was "Where Technology is taking us."

Whats missing is the conversation, digital archives are great but the value of an open forum like this one is much greater. DR is an innovator, no doubt. How long until until the service community engages? What can those of us interested in seeing service "catch up" do to facilitate that change?

Yeah, it is quite sad. I think we'll see fixed ops move closer to modern times with the integration of FO in CRM systems and more done by site hosts.

Fixed Operations has not been *forced* into changing. Cars still break, and FO departments still generate a nice profit. The only time FO gets hurt is when sales is in dire straights, but with enough of a customer base FO can carry sales through hard times. Until there is a major fluctuation with the FO income there won't be a loud scream for significant improvement/change in that area.

I'm speaking from an industry-wide level. There are going to be pockets of FO departments looking for more, and I welcome each and every one to help shape the FO side of DealerRefresh!

Fixed Ops Magazine is my best resource for info for helping me improve my operation and while I agree that their web site needs to be updated, it does feature present and past issues on line.

I regularly preview past issues for great articles. Most forums are usually a bunch of peops complaining about nothing. As long as I get my printed issue, you won't find me complaining. I also look forward to the weekly fix. The folks at Fixed Ops deserve recognition for hanging in their during tough times and giving the service departments a great resource for costs me nothing.