• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Free! 24/7 Live Dealer Chat Support, Staff, and Leads (Case Study 2 Months)

Update: CarChat24 Live Dealer Chat Case Study (Weekly Posts)

Below is the format we will be using in the weekly posts after each 7 days (December Weekly Post Dates 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th ). If you have any questions about calculations, or anything else feel free to call me anytime. I will post the format needed for the total month post after we have a full month completed (Total Months post will include sales data). We are looking forward to watching the results unfold. I think all of you will be surprised at the increase in lead conversion percentages, and sales. Please make sure you have CarChat24 set up as a lead source in your CRM so we can get accurate sales data, and also please change any service or parts lead to the appropriate status in your system for accurate sales closing percentages. Thank you for your participation in this case study.

December (Week 1) (Note: Week 2, 3, and 4 would be a running total of all data)

Total Unique Visitors:
Total Website Leads without Chat Leads:
Lead Conversion % without Chat Leads:
Total CarChat24 Leads/Appointments/Queries:
Total Conversion % with Chat Leads
Total Lead Conversion % increase:

Example below:
Total Unique Visitors: 1000
Total Website Leads without Chat Leads: 30
Lead Conversion % without Chat Leads: 3%
Total CarChat24 Leads/Appointments/Queries: 10
Total Conversion % with Chat Leads: 4%
Total Lead Conversion % increase: 33.33%

[BStephanie Hudson[/B]
Younger Toyota - Hagerstown, MD
Week of December 1-7th
Total Unique Visitors: 998
Total Website Leads without Chat Leads: 11
Lead Conversion % without Chat Leads: 1.2%
Total CarChat24 Leads/Appointments/Queries: 11
Total Conversion % with Chat Leads: 2.3%
Total Lead Conversion % increase:

Currently right now our traffic and lead conversions are down but its still early in the month.

December (Week 1) 1st through the 7th

Total Unique Visitors: 520
Total Website Leads without Chat Leads: 23

Lead Conversion % without Chat Leads: 4.4%
Total CarChat24 Leads/Appointments/Queries: 9
Total Conversion % with Chat Leads: 6.1%

Total Lead Conversion % increase: 38%

Hold on to your hat Shereef, this is a money makin' post... if your feeling brave, read on ;-)

In my travels, somewhere around 50% of a dealers site traffic is a repeat visitor. It could be a 2nd visit or a 10th... Either way, I have found when ever I launch a new tool/feature to our web site, right out of the gate, the usage is very very good. Then, as time passes, the usage falls to a far smaller level & levels out.

This is NOT a negative, bare with me.
I have seen this happen several times. I believe the introduction of a new feature/tool is seen as NEW to ALL visitors (new visitors & returning visitors), then, as time passes, eventually everyone has seen it. We are left with just new visitors that witness the "new feature". It just so happens that the "new feature" to the new visitor is a standard feature of the site, there by making it less... new. wow. does that even make sense?? hahaha...

What I've described is really a common merchandising exercise.
You make a display in your grocery store, it gets a LOT of initial attention, then, as time passes, the display is overlooked by nearly everyone. The totally new shopper sees the display as part of the original store.

This is good news!
Keep innovating and changing and the shoppers will reward us! If this observation has merit, this opens a door into a cookie based feature/tool system that will give the repeat visitor something fresh to interact with!

Shereef, For proof of the concept, I'd LOVE to know the visitor stats of a chat user, then, toss them all into a reporting system and plot it over time.

If I am right*, then you could make different skins for the chat (each with a different call to action), then use cookie history to call the skin. Work the creative end to come up with great themes for the skins, then track the results and optimize as needed.

*the new visitor that sees the chat as part of the standard site and interacts less than repeat visitor that sees the chat for the 1st time.

Can you say industry 1st?

December (Week 1) 1st through the 7th

Total Unique Visitors: 1863

Total Website Leads without Chat Leads: 111

Lead Conversion % without Chat Leads: 6.1%
Total CarChat24 Leads/Appointments/Queries: 42
Total Conversion % with Chat Leads: 9.0%

Total Lead Conversion % increase: 47%

Amy Pelosi
Mercedes Benz of Southampton, Southampton NY

Week of December 1-7th
Total Unique Visitors: 412
Total Website Leads without Chat Leads: 7
Lead Conversion % without Chat Leads: 1.7%
Total CarChat24 Leads/Appointments/Queries: 3
Total Conversion % with Chat Leads: 2.4%
Total Lead Conversion % increase: 43%

Hold on to your hat Shereef, this is a money makin' post... if your feeling brave, read on ;-)

In my travels, somewhere around 50% of a dealers site traffic is a repeat visitor. It could be a 2nd visit or a 10th... Either way, I have found when ever I launch a new tool/feature to our web site, right out of the gate, the usage is very very good. Then, as time passes, the usage falls to a far smaller level & levels out.

This is NOT a negative, bare with me.
I have seen this happen several times. I believe the introduction of a new feature/tool is seen as NEW to ALL visitors (new visitors & returning visitors), then, as time passes, eventually everyone has seen it. We are left with just new visitors that witness the "new feature". It just so happens that the "new feature" to the new visitor is a standard feature of the site, there by making it less... new. wow. does that even make sense?? hahaha...

What I've described is really a common merchandising exercise.
You make a display in your grocery store, it gets a LOT of initial attention, then, as time passes, the display is overlooked by nearly everyone. The totally new shopper sees the display as part of the original store.

This is good news!
Keep innovating and changing and the shoppers will reward us! If this observation has merit, this opens a door into a cookie based feature/tool system that will give the repeat visitor something fresh to interact with!

Shereef, For proof of the concept, I'd LOVE to know the visitor stats of a chat user, then, toss them all into a reporting system and plot it over time.

If I am right*, then you could make different skins for the chat (each with a different call to action), then use cookie history to call the skin. Work the creative end to come up with great themes for the skins, then track the results and optimize as needed.

*the new visitor that sees the chat as part of the standard site and interacts less than repeat visitor that sees the chat for the 1st time.

Can you say industry 1st?

Hi Joe

Thank you for your input, I will add this to our things to do :) We are constantly evolving, and looking for ways to improve our service. You brought up some good points, some of which we are already working on.

I agree with you in most cases new additions get strong action, but with live chat it is a little different. We have actually seen an increase in chat activity and leads over time, as chat creates a higher return visitor rate. Visitors now have another reason to return to the site because they know they can get instant help.

Hi Joe

I agree with you in most cases new additions get strong action, but with live chat it is a little different. We have actually seen an increase in chat activity and leads over time, as chat creates a higher return visitor rate. Visitors now have another reason to return to the site because they know they can get instant help.

Shereef,

Luv ya man but check your koolaid, someone slipped you a mickey. Please show me a few long term studies of dealers chat results vs uniquies. Every single tool/feature that I've launched has gone thru this cycle (high initial use, then trickles down to a "normal" level). I am fortunate in that I have 30,000 uniques a month so the data that comes thru is very liquid (as opposed to a gas)

Please, please please prove me wrong, I'd LOVE to find a problem with this product cycle rule I have.

Last edited:
Measure twice, cut once... CHAT's VALUE TO SHOPPERS:
In our test on this thread, 3793 visitors created 65 chats. So.... Chat is not used by 98.3% of the visitors. Ok, so the overwhelming majority of shoppers don't use it. Agreed?

I have written about this before... does the "annoying chat thingy" improve the shopping experience or just p*ss off the silent majority (I am NOT picking on you Shereef, I've mentioned this before).

Think about it...
To draw a parallel, if you’re out on the lot, shopping for a car and just looking, and a rep comes up “can I help you?†and you reply “no thanks, just looking nowâ€, then you walk over to another car and a rep comes up “can I help you?†and you reply “no thanks, just looking now†and you step over to another car and…. You KNOW what’s next… and a rep comes up “can I help you?†and you reply “grr… no thanks, just looking nowâ€. See the “shopping experience†parallels?!!?

Simple Slick Solution:
On the "annoying chat thingy" (I love calling it that!), place a small “no thank you, just looking†button. When the shopper clicks it, it slipps off to the side of the screen and STAYS THERE for the whole visit. A simple, clean little tab that is there for when the shopper is ready.

“Communication tool parked but ready†Examples are:

This will improve the shopping experience AND has the potential to generate more ups. Agreed?

Just another money making Digital Marketing idea from Uncle Joe's Idea Factory...

Last edited: