• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google+ ...are you on it yet?

You can apply personal opinion about social media, but it's still a viable and valuable channel. You might hate it, but it doesn't mean there's isn't opportunity there.

Personally, I dislike Twitter, but that doesn't mean that it's not a tool I would not use in business.

Dealers are like snow flakes, no 2 are the same. Social media ROI is not about social media, it's all about the dealer's culture.

If your culture is fresh and alive (like our Mitch Gallant, Tom White Jr, Eric Miltch, Jesse Lehman and more) then Social Media fits like a glove.

But if your culture is all about getting the iron over the curb and your in 30day cycle jail, then, Social Media is a THREAT (reviews).

Given kcar's attilla-the-hun take, I'd bet his dealer is in the "SM is a THREAT" camp.

(note: I am not pious, I am not passing judgement, my stores fit the "SM is a THREAT" mold! To make my life extra exciting, my dealer wants to FB -and- doesn't see the threat!)

Last edited:
With the way this thread is turning into an overall social media conversation, I want to point some reference material out. This is not a plug for Dealer.com.

I have had the benefit of seeing the data from a non-solicitational social media study for a few months now and it is eye-opening stuff. It is full of stats around social media usage, engagement, and how it relates to the car business. It was presented at DrivingSales and JD Power this week. I highly recommend it.

Sign up to receive the whitepaper here: Dealer.com - Automotive Dealer Web Marketing, Dealer Website SEO, Web Solutions, Lead Management Tools

Curious what others think now that G+ user #'s have been shared, business pages have been released & most importantly, G+ content is being indexed.

I'm not using it just to drive traffic or even the typical "experimentation" - I'm not even considering this a "social network" rather a new method of creating an "identity network" unlike anything else out there. Eventually, the circles we create and the people within these circles will have clicked on the +1 buttons in the search results.

This visual validation being created is just another way to potentially help get people to click on your content - whatever it may be.

Has anyone else already clicked on a lower ranking search result link because someone in your circles previously +'d it? (and you saw their thumbnail) I know I have - it made me feel more "comfortable" knowing that someone I'm connected with "voted" for that content. I was curious to see what they found interesting within the link as well.

If you're on G+ & want to connect, you can find me here.

Eric - when you say "new method of creating an "identity network", I would guess that you are looking at Google+ as more of a personal blog. What I believe the original blog format was intended for.

With Facebook making their changes to Timeline - how would this not be viewed as a "identity network". Are you thinking...
Google+ = business identity
Facebook (timeline) = personal identity

For some these 2 bleed together, for others (married with children and close family) they can be 2 difference identities (business and personal). The business and personal identities is where I typically struggle.

As I commented on facebook in response to this article it also starts to answer your questions above.

" I do (or want to) believe the end users will ultimately determine what happens. I can't seem to latch onto Google+ myself and I have given it a few opportunities. But seriously, how many social profiles (Identities) can one person maintain (and have a life outside of) - that's another topic. I recognize that G+ is still very new and. It's going to have it's issues, and the end user makes their decision on what they are willing to deal with."

You asked
Has anyone else already clicked on a lower ranking search result link because someone in your circles previously +'d it?

I sure have and my results and feelings have been mixed. Matter of fact I had just searched for a QR Generator and the results included a link G+ link recommended by fellow industry friend Ric McCoy...

Gplus_Mccoy.jpg

This resulted in me quickly using one that Ric McCoy has recommended. I clicked on this link due to the recommendation of a friend and one in our industry at that.

I have also click on some links recommended from other so called industry rock stars and have been absolutely disappointed but that was my fault for clicking on the link. But this brings up another point and the gaming of this social algorithm all together.

Anyone else have any additional thoughts?

As Eric asks - Has anyone else already clicked on a lower ranking search result link because someone in your circles previously +'d it?

Jeff - thanks for the reply.

Excellent example and an even better scenario you point out w/regards to gaming. As more users begin to experience the same activity you mentioned, they will eventually begin to re-evaluate the people they have in their circles.

If I kept clicking on links with your thumbnail attached to it that turned out to be garbage or purely promotional in nature, I'd probably remove you from a circle.

That's what I mean by identity network...people will be judged more on the items they +1 rather than the content they post to their public stream. Your personal opinion of someone will change quicker when they make a bad recommendation (+1) vs. just writing a blog post.

(And yes, the stream could be used a replacement for your blog as it'll most likely rank just as well if not better with quality content, images & engagement levels.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I was sorta wondering where you were going with the "identity network" but now I'm following ya. Back to my statement where the end user will determine what is and what is not. What lasts and what moves on. Not only potential services but also who you allow to influence you (circles).

This will continue to get more interesting. This is no doubt IMO Google biggest and most risky move to date. One that has more impact over any other "Beta" product they've ever introduced. One that touches and influences their core... Search.

Do you think this will drive Facebook to finally compete in the Search Engine arena?

And if so will they call it FBSearch or something different all together?

Keep in mind, there are so many people who have Google accounts but don't use Gmail. Apps, adwords, adsense, docs, etc - all of these users are logged in - Google hopes to convert these people to G+, if for nothing else, organizing your contacts into circles.

I have to think that Facebook's data collection (EX: the new "Life Events" update) will eventually find it's way into Bing's search results as a result of Microsoft's original investment in Facebook - somehow.

This social activity data can act in the same way as a +1, but the problem still exists with the way Facebook users organize their friends - in that they don't. It's still a fragmented stream.

Most people haven't taken the time to organize all of their facebook friends into groups like you do with your circles in G+. (I have one list of automotive people in FB, but that's it - it's more of a usability thing for me - organizing circles is ridiculously easy & is one of the nicest design elements yet.

As my content streams in G+, I can easily edit a user's circle - giving me greater control over the "noise" in my stream. If I want to see that type of specific content, I can simply select that from my stream choices. The same isn't true for Facebook - I can't organize people that easily in the main content stream. Which is why we're left seeing so much crap in our stream that we're not interested in. Sure, I can unsubscribe, but that's too drastic, I just want file that content elsewhere.