• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Places Removes Third Party Reviews from Search Results

One thing that has inspired a lot of speculation here is that the folks at Google often change their minds as part of the innovation process. Some of you have wondered if they might require those of us who have a third-party review component to our site register as a “certified†content provider in order to have some control over the quality of their content, or they may reverse course and go back to the way things were, for example.

Right now, even though Google has changed the way they aggregate reviews on Google Places, there is still an SEO benefit to having good review volume in as many places as possible. Many of our most successful customers have also shared with us that one of the secrets to their review success has been casting the widest net possible with reviews so they’re covered in the many places shoppers go in the car buying process.

At the end of the day, the importance of building review volume across all review sites hasn’t changed. Admittedly, Cars.com is a little new to reviews, but we’re committed to the space and want to make the process as easy as possible. We appreciate as much feedback as possible.

Lauren Beaubien
Solutions Manager - Dealer Reviews, Cars.com

Reactions: 1 person
Right now, even though Google has changed the way they aggregate reviews on Google Places, there is still an SEO benefit to having good review volume in as many places as possible.

At the end of the day, the importance of building review volume across all review sites hasn’t changed.

+1 Lauren, nice post.

Some customers are loyal to review sites, many aren't. Increasing review volume, simplifying review process, and acting on reviews to improve experience will always be valuable and important, regardless of how Google decides to aggregate or share that information.

I looked at one Bobby Rahal dealership (Honda in PA) and saw it had zero DealerRater reviews, and 11 Google Places reviews. I have been doing this for several years now, and have setup almost the same process to encourage positive reviews from Google as DealerRater, and we have thousands of DealerRater reviews vs. hundreds of Google reviews. When we ask people to leave a review, they are willing to create a login to DealerRater to do that quite easily, but most share that they do not have a Google account, and they do not leave a Google review. Our experience has been that our shoppers have strongly embraced DealerRater. (Also saw that your Toyota dealership had 4 DealerRaters and 7 Google reviews, has your group, or an individual dealership, aggressively worked to manage your online reviews?).

With that said, I think you have an excellent idea Chip. When someone completes a DealerRater review, have the next step be to encourage them to do the same at Google. You can see if the reviewer has a gmail address and put them into a different process that shows them how to do it.

Maybe the better question is, why have dealerships had much greater success getting DealerRater reviews than Google reviews? Most every dealer I have talked to who is great at DealerRater has also been working hard at Google reviews for some time. And from a dealer's perspective, we have had great success mediating negative reviews (and removing fake ones from competing dealers) through DealerRater, but all you can do with Google is post a public response..

Kevin - I'm mirror your comments and observations here.

From my experience it has always been easier to get a customer to leave a review on DealerRater over Google Places. The sign-up process for the customer/reviewer is more straight forward on DealerRater. I was tracking a 18 to 1 ratio. So for every 18 reviews I was able to get on DealerRater I would only get 1 review on Google. And these reviews for from people that happen to already have a gmail account.

We have quickly changed our process since this change with Google yesterday. It's something I have been meaning to do but this forced me to make the call and make the change right away. We are now reconizing if the customer has a gmail account. When the customer has a gmail account we automatically send the after service or after sale email to link to the Google Places review page.

This change overall IMO make for a bad user and consumer experience. I personally want to see reviews from other sites when I'm using Google Places for personal purposes. Having the ability to see all the reviews in one area is a win. No longer.

It's OK - I will adapt and move on. But I don't see how this is a good move for Google.

This shift may very well put the spotlight back on reviews primary purpose... improving customer experience... and that sounds good to me.

Nathan, I'm glad you brought this point up. I hear several dealers and received many emails from dealers where their obvious focus for dealer reviews is NOTHING more than for marketing purposes alone. The true purpose of reviews and being fully transparent his for exactly what you said "improving customer experience" and ultimatly changing culture within the dealership.

For this reason alone my dealers will continue to drive most of our customers to DealerRater for reviews.

This thread is a great example on why this forum is totally awesome. There are so many talented people with valuable experience.

I wasn't going to post on this one... but I have to echo Dan's comments about truly appreciating this community. I have been trying to stay out of the conversation because there was no reason to add anything to what has already been said by our dealers here. If I represented a one trick unicorn...er pony, I'd be worried, but now that the dust is settling I don't believe this is a bad thing.

I think that Google goofed this up. Content is still King and ratings and reviews still matter to the consumer. Logically they will add the term "reviews" to their query when they no longer get credible content from Places, and they won't (see the previous thread on all the "boosting" going on that Google has yet to correct). I love ya CAORYAN, but there is ZERO evidence that this had anything to do with quality or credibility of the data, at least not yet. This had everything to do with control of the flow, and I think they misjudged here just like they have with other products they've launched and put to bed. Google really just pulled the stopper and is watching that aggregate data that encouraged a consumer to visit the Place page swirl down the drain. I really don't get it... If it is bad for the consumer it IS bad for the Places page. They gambled and splashed the pot big time...

What I really wanted to say:

To Jeff, Alex, Joe and all the rest of this community, Thanks for creating a truly unique experience here. The other forum I read occasionally and never post on quickly degraded into an opportunistic sales pitch that would never fly around here. The whole time I was reading the thread I kept thinking "this forum needs an Uncle Joe?"

Reactions: 1 person
We point our customers directly to the Google Places page for their relevant dealership via a link in an email. They're already sitting in front of their computers (or smartphone), all they have to do is click the link vs. get the mail / read a postcard / go to PC / turn it on / type in URL / etc. If they're already logged in with their Google account they can immediately leave a review. About 10% of our customers that have shared their email address with us have GMail accounts, so all those people definitely have a Google account. With the proliferation of Android phones and the expansion of Google services that require an account I expect the percentage of our customers with Google accounts to grow.

We have taken that same approach for the last couple years Art, and I am here to tell you, we still have much more success getting DealerRater reviews than Google (Jeff Kershner has seen the same result). We have also been using iPads in the dealerships, but are refining those processes as I write...

Great thread - but now the real measure is how each dealer responds. We have been knocked down, but I can guarantee I am back up and fighting to adjust, are you? With our jobs in this fast-moving market, you have to expect changes like this and be prepared to "adapt and overcome" quickly. That also goes for the vendors, and I'm certain that DealerRater is already making changes to adjust to this as well. PS - where can I leave a review for Google on what I think about this change???

Reactions: 2 people
Kevin,

I really like the idea of reviewing Google on this decision. Here are some resources for anybody inclined to do so. They have in the past changed course due to public response, so it may be worth a shot.

If you are feeling inclined to post publicly you may want to check out this support forum where Google has solicited feedback on the changes:

New changes to Place pages - Google Places for business Help

Last edited: