• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Help Me Decide on my Limited Choices in Web-Vendors

ErikJonker

3rd Base Coach
Jan 26, 2013
Awards
First Name
Erik
We are a Honda and Nissan Dealer on the same piece of property near Vancouver in Canada.

Looking for Advice from the Guru's on DealerRefresh on what to do...

We are currently looking to switch from our Autotrader Canada site (a limited version of dealer.com) to one of 3 different vendors. The reason we are limited to 3 other vendors is that Nissan Canada is instituting an approved web vendor only policy which is probably similar to GM making dealers use Cobalt but I am assuming this.

The choices are:

www.strathcom.ca

one of their latest dealer sites: http://www.donwheaton.com

(my thoughts: clean, clear navigation, good search and filter options on SERP, responsive design)

www.e-dealer.ca

one of their latest dealer sites: http://www.abbotsfordhyundai.com

(my thoughts: clean+clear navigation, better new car build and price<importance of this?>VDP has focused CTA's<i like> responsive design)

www.dealereprocess.com

one of their latest dealer sites: http://www.regencytoyota.com

(my thoughts: busy looking sites with very busy SERP and VDP pages that have in some cases over 10 CTA's <is that good or bad?> I believe that its not responsive and uses a specific mobile site? )

My Goals would be for a site that converts well (duh) and has the necessary back end to be SEO optimized.

Please Help me!!!

Personally, all professional bias aside, I would say that Strathcom is the best of those 3 options if that's all you're allowed to work with.
I've met with numerous clients looking to leave the other 2 companies, but I've also lost a few deals to Strathcom as they're gaining momentum.

The Nissan website vendor approval process doesn't seem that bad, but we don't have a Nissan client to work with so we haven't actually completed the process. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than just those 3 options though.

Personally, all professional bias aside, I would say that Strathcom is the best of those 3 options if that's all you're allowed to work with.
I've met with numerous clients looking to leave the other 2 companies, but I've also lost a few deals to Strathcom as they're gaining momentum.

The Nissan website vendor approval process doesn't seem that bad, but we don't have a Nissan client to work with so we haven't actually completed the process. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than just those 3 options though.

e-dealer, dealer e-process, and strathcom are my Shortlist.

I can also choose:

Autotrader DSS (no way)
Evolio/auto123 (don't like any of their sites)
Gary Stock (don't like any of their sites)
glovebox (undecided....I have heard good things)

Reactions: craigh
I agree with your choices, however if you don't like AutoTrader's DSS I don't think you will like e-dealer that much better.
Before I got into the game myself I was in charge of managing existing sites and e-dealer and DSS were the top of my list for platforms I couldn't stand.

I haven't seen Gary stock, Evolio tends to be very templated and last I spoke with them they had no CMS, Glovebox look great and have cool functionality, but I get mixed reviews on performance (likely user error).

Have you found any really good Nissan sites you like?

From a design/engineering perspective Strathcom has the strongest offering out of the group. I can't comment on support or conversion rates. Craigh is the most knowledgeable person for this thread, though. I've never seen him give bad advice and he knows his stuff.

Our old dealer used to use Dealer-E-Process for their chat. Surprisingly it was very very good, and we were getting leads in the middle of the night (mostly worst credit customers late at night) from their chat module. Their sites look pretty good too, but we never used them for our site.

Of the choices you stated, I have to say Dealer eprocess is more tuned to "Conversion" than most. They just recently installed (6 months) in one of my dealers with 8 stores, client of many years and a premier internet player. They are thrilled with service and results. That would be the Sandy Sansing dealerships in Pensacola Florida, speak to Kevin Campbell corporate internet director.

From a design/engineering perspective Strathcom has the strongest offering out of the group. I can't comment on support or conversion rates. Craigh is the most knowledgeable person for this thread, though. I've never seen him give bad advice and he knows his stuff.

I don't know that I would go so far as to say "most knowledgeable" when Joe has years and years of experience on me.
However, I do have quite a bit of experience in Canadian dealer sites and what the options are, etc.
As a competitor, Strathcom is my best recommendation. They make good sites, they seem to function well and they're fairly modern.
I can't say anything for their service or ability to convert though. Veteran companies tend to convert better due to finding the "magic sauce" in things like button colours, wording, etc - more sample data to work with means they know more about consumer intent and behaviour.

I wish I could sit here and say that the prettiest and most functional site wins the "race", but I've unfortunately proven over and over again that user friendliness takes a back seat to "in your face" when it comes to conversions.