• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Homepage Hero Banner Slides?

Agreed, that's why we're switching to the kind that appeases because we know sliders on the homepage are not very effective.

In your experience they aren't effective ;)

And this is the case for most dealers. I know I don't provide a clear blueprint for "if you do this, it will work" because I prefer you to teach a man to fish. But if you have been paying attention to what I've posted in this thread you might start to realize you're catering to the wrong the audience on your home page.

If you care to figure this out, here's a hint: what customer uses the phone number(s) on your home page more?

P.S. I like your new direction.

"Carousels are effective at being able to tell people in Marketing/Senior Management that their latest idea is on the Home Page. Use them to put content that users will ignore on your Home Page. Or, if you prefer, don’t use them. Ever."

2. The kind that appeases

Use the space to appease your employees. Most use the dealer website at their desk as a tool anyways. So run a monthly contest - whichever employee gets the most positive online reviews receives a banner on the homepage slider showcasing their photo and review achievements.

Then we'll promote the homepage slider specials elsewhere on the site in more effective locations such as segmented vehicle search result pages like I described earlier in this thread.

Our agency is always INSISTING that we load our homepage up with a banner for every special. I have to remind them to STOP doing it every month. Relevant dynamic homepage banner that displays based on the shoppers previous habits would be ideal. I know this can be done and has been done, just not sure how accurate it is. Maybe if this new privacy laws changes....

Reactions: Alexander Lau
Use the space to appease your employees. Most use the dealer website at their desk as a tool anyways. So run a monthly contest - whichever employee gets the most positive online reviews receives a banner on the homepage slider showcasing their photo and review achievements.

Our agency is always INSISTING that we load our homepage up with a banner for every special. I have to remind them to STOP doing it every month. Relevant dynamic homepage banner that displays based on the shoppers previous habits would be ideal. I know this can be done and has been done, just not sure how accurate it is. Maybe if this new privacy laws changes....
Yes, at the end of the day your website (just like your paid search collateral) should take into consideration 'behavioral retargeting', which is something I do believe Dealer Inspire (platform) does.

Just thought I'd drop this quick and easy way to track your homepage slide clicks. Don't use standard UTM tags because if someone clicks on your slide, the UTM will reset the current session and count it as a new one - i.e. if 100 people clicked on a slide tagged with a UTM code, it would count as 200 sessions. 100 for the initial session, and another 100 when the target page loaded.

Measuring-Slides.jpg

Just thought I'd drop this quick and easy way to track your homepage slide clicks. Don't use standard UTM tags because if someone clicks on your slide, the UTM will reset the current session and count it as a new one - i.e. if 100 people clicked on a slide tagged with a UTM code, it would count as 200 sessions. 100 for the initial session, and another 100 when the target page loaded.

Measuring-Slides.jpg
Great screenshot, I'm guessing you are posting this for instructional reasons, but over what time period?

Measuring-Slides.jpg
Thank you for this info Jason! I had no idea that was the case.

Probably wouldn't make sense for dealership specials pages like this to use UTM codes then....?
http://jeffwylerspringfieldchevrole...vy-lease-and-finance-deals-springfield-oh.htm

Reactions: Jason
No problem @reverson glad you found that useful. And you are correct. Let's say a user lands on that specials page via a social campaign that's tagged with a UTM code. Then the user proceeds to click on one of the specials listed on the page. The problem ends up being two fold:

#1 - As mentioned above, a new session is started thus skewing your analytics.

#2 - It also throws off the integrity of the data. You couldn't tie that conversion to the original social campaign because it was recorded in analytics as a separate visit. To take it one step further, let's say that a user clicks the special, and then converts to a lead. Even though social was the original source of the visit that led to the conversion, the specials campaign would get the credit.

So while the social campaign did get users to click on the specials, analytics wouldn't show that. Thus causing you to think your social campaign was a bust, even though it wasn't.

Hope that makes sense :)

• Useful
Reactions: Jeff Kershner
No problem @reverson glad you found that useful. And you are correct. Let's say a user lands on that specials page via a social campaign that's tagged with a UTM code. Then the user proceeds to click on one of the specials listed on the page. The problem ends up being two fold:

#1 - As mentioned above, a new session is started thus skewing your analytics.

#2 - It also throws off the integrity of the data. You couldn't tie that conversion to the original social campaign because it was recorded in analytics as a separate visit. To take it one step further, let's say that a user clicks the special, and then converts to a lead. Even though social was the original source of the visit that led to the conversion, the specials campaign would get the credit.

So while the social campaign did get users to click on the specials, analytics wouldn't show that. Thus causing you to think your social campaign was a bust, even though it wasn't.

Hope that makes sense :)
Interesting :)

Yes makes complete sense, wonder if DealerTeamwork realizes this.... @emiltsch @Daniel J. Mondello ?

Last edited: