• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How do I notify Sales Managers about a new accessory available? Licensed Product

Aug 13, 2012
First Name
Stephen
I'm new to the forum here and was hoping that someone could offer up some advice. I'm not trying to spam or solicit my products here in any way.

We have a small family business that's released a very hot accessory, licensed by GM now. I'm wanting to get this product in front of the eyes of some Sales Managers at Chevy Dealerships. I am only assuming this is the person that would have the authority to bring in new products to put on cars or make the accessories available to new customers. The product would be for the New Corvettes and New Camaros being sold.

It's a very rare product, our invention, and would turn lots of heads on the showroom floor for sure. I know If I can get a chance to email photos over that we could have some instant accounts and do well. We've been told that we would receive assistance in marketing to dealerships when we got licensed but we've received no help to date.

Any thoughts at all?

Respectfully,

Stephen

Stephen, you are in Dallas with a ton of chevy stores. Have you walked into any of them and talked to a parts manager? Every dealership has access to a dealer directory. Make a friend and get them to give you one. I would try Huffines in Plano. They are nice people. Once you have one of those, you will have access to dealership phone numbers. Call them and ask for the Parts Manager. Get their email address and send them some pictures and pricing.

Once you have the list of names and email addresses, which is a lot of work, you can easily send out batch emails over and over.

Thank you very much sir. I've been having some of my staff attempt to reach people by phone but I was really not sure about exactly who to ask for. I've been told before that it's usually the Sales Manager that makes decisions about bringing in new products, but then I've also been told it's the Parts Managers like you say. I know we will not succeed in trying to sell anything over the phone and that our product has to be seen so yes I agree email is the way to go. I only wish that there was a big red EASY button I could push to get all of the emails at once.

I do appreciate your input and thank you for your help. Here's my little brothers invention by the way, the fully cusomizable Windrestrictor® for convertibles.

Stephen

C6corvetteWindrestrictor_with mark GM.jpg

Here is a good site for locating dealers and contact info: Car Dealer Ratings, New, Used Car Dealership Reviews, Locator | Carfolks.com

Good old cold calling can be effective when done right. Avoid calling at the end of the month and the first day or two of a new month. Develop a value laced opening statement that will peak the interest of your client. You're going to have to either ask for an appointment in person or tell them you're going to send them an e-mail with more information. I would even consider a webinar appointment. Here's what I would do.

Hello is (customer first name) there?

I hope I didn’t catch you at a bad time?

This is (your name) calling from (company name). NO PAUSE HERE, KEEP GOING!

The reason I am calling is to let you know about an exciting new accessory dealers at are installing on Corvettes and Camaros. Customers love our product which will help you sell more vehicles while making higher grosses. I am going to send you an e-mail with pictures/videos and more information, what e-mail address should I send this to? I'll also follow up with you tomorrow, would you prefer a morning or afternoon call.

When I sell Phone Ninjas, I try and get dealers to jump on a webinar with me at that moment. I'll even have a webinar open and ready to go. I then direct them to the gotomeeting web page and provide the info to join me. I've closed deals in 20 minutes using this approach. So consider this approach as well.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people
Snail Mail to GMs, Principals and Parts Managers works. With One page introduction. Hand written name/addy/etc. I did this for commercial vehicles sent out 50 letters, sold 6 cars to different dealerships.

Also Forums > Dealerships. I'd advertise on every Chev/Corvette forum.. Reach targeted buyers, sell/market it with passion, a dealership isn't going to push it as hard as you will to customers.

...We have a small family business that's released a very hot accessory, licensed by GM now. I'm wanting to get this product in front of the eyes of some Sales Managers at Chevy Dealerships. I am only assuming this is the person that would have the authority to bring in new products to put on cars or make the accessories available to new customers. The product would be for the New Corvettes and New Camaros being sold.

Any thoughts at all?

Respectfully,

Stephen

Stephen,

GM has an accessories distribution system GM Accessories Zone that your product belongs in. The GM accessories distribution system is 20+ franchised independent businesses that call on GM stores only. They provide a COMPLETE turn key accessories solution including sales and merchandising and professional installation. They have the direct sales staff that calls on every store to get them selling more GM accessories.

I was a consultant to NY's GM accessories distributor, CVO Rides.com. Reach out to the President, Scott Portuondo, he will be VERY interested in your product and will help you fast track your launch. Scott knows me very well, be sure to drop my name, he the *@~>&%@ guy that got me into this industry a decade ago!

Reactions: 2 people