• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How many leads can an Internet Manager handle, effectively?

What a fantastic thread! TY DD for starting it!

Question:
I sell used cars. If you sold 100% used cars, would your numbers change?
--# Leads per ISM
--Closing Ratio Goals

Joe -- BTW -- we close YTD about 27% of Used Leads (that number is down this year as we've attracted more leads and have struggled to add that 6th person). 30,000 Foot View? More hand-raisers and mid-funnel stuff from the OEM's on the New Stuff, along with a best-case scenario of 15%-16% close on 3rd-party stuff with New. Used Leads are almost all inventory-based and perform better. Although self-site leads -- New and Used -- close in the 29% - 30% range.

Joe -- BTW -- we close YTD about 27% of Used Leads (that number is down this year as we've attracted more leads and have struggled to add that 6th person). 30,000 Foot View? More hand-raisers and mid-funnel stuff from the OEM's on the New Stuff, along with a best-case scenario of 15%-16% close on 3rd-party stuff with New. Used Leads are almost all inventory-based and perform better. Although self-site leads -- New and Used -- close in the 29% - 30% range.

JQuinn, that is an outstanding job. That kind of work doesn't happen by accident.

This thread has gone in several directions. Some of these would make great new threads for additional detail.

JQuinn, that is an outstanding job. That kind of work doesn't happen by accident.

This thread has gone in several directions. Some of these would make great new threads for additional detail.

Thanks! Accident? That's a mouth-full! haha... a LOT of years and a lot of training and a LOT of trial and error. I will admit, though, that I taught Kershner everything he knows about ILM... tehe LOL! :lol:

Jeff Kershner is as rare as an all-star NFL quarterback. Easily, one in 100 million... you're not going to find a Jeff Kershner, you have to build one (actually, you'll need 2-3 people to cover his depth of knowledge and experiences).

More importantly, how can they recruit and empower a Jeff K without knowing WTF is going on out here?

Joe, you're making me blush over here. Com'on.

Seriously though - what a great thread. The people "in the know"

Quinn wrote - "Someone in this thread wrote they couldn't hire an ISM without promising 150-200 leads a month. Instant RED FLAG: Warning! Warning! Danger! This management team does not value/understand PROCESS MANAGEMENT! Stay Away! I can't think of a better example of a dealer being "Late to the Party" than seeing this type of model."

Our lack of knowledge amongst management has conditioned dealers / ILM to think that they need 150-200 leads a month to make a living. It's one of the first questions I get (followed by - what's your inventory like"), how many leads will I get a month?

The problem is that is is hard to find great and organized salespeople.

Sorry to call you out Yago, but it sounds like you've allowed some people to corrupt your thinking. The problem is not finding people; the problem is mentoring people. Too many managers just expect someone to do a job without guidance, and that is why too many people fail.

Reactions: 3 people
Sorry to call you out Yago, but it sounds like you've allowed some people to corrupt your thinking. The problem is not finding people; the problem is mentoring people. Too many managers just expect someone to do a job without guidance, and that is why too many people fail.

I wish you would have called me out before DD and I would have fought you in tha bar...

Jokes apart-

No I havent corrupted my thinking even thouhg my foreign writting may sound extrange sometimes but I understand what you say. We go over an extreme HR process in my company, and a great leadership and team building daily process, so I do understand the process and the needs.

It is true that great managers will cultivate great ISMs, but that means that we have to have great managers to mentor them in the first place. Many managers in the car biz are sales superstars, etc and mentoring may not be one of their qualities.

My point was focused on the fact that often times dealers lose a person and rush to fill the position and by doing so haveing very little preparation to check the person's qualifications. Many dealers don't even know what the qualifications are nor what type of guidance is nedded.

Starting with well qualified people will help a lot. Continuing to work with people that are then properly trained and directed will be even better. Having the top management at the dealers understand the digital dealer world and its needs will be best.

Yag,

I'm with John Quinn on this one.

Jeff Kershner is as rare as an all-star NFL quarterback. Easily, one in 100 million... you're not going to find a Jeff Kershner, you have to build one (actually, you'll need 2-3 people to cover his depth of knowledge and experiences).

More importantly, how can they recruit and empower a Jeff K without knowing WTF is going on out here? John Q nailed management's new attitude perfectly:

"...The Front Door ain't that thing on the hinges on the front wall anymore, now is it? The Front Door has moved. Traffic is still "there," you just gotta know how to answer the door!"

Such a simple and true concept. John Q's comment should have been an "ah ha!" moment to dealer/managers in 2002. But, rather than exploring the new opportunity, they consider it a threat (to their pay plan). This begins the parade of moronic management comments (read: excuses) that reveals EVEN A MORON CAN MANAGE A STORE AND SURVIVE.

If a Dealer is LATE to the Internet PARTY, who's to blame? THE TOP BRASS.
From my seat, the Dealer's single greatest handicap is it's top management. It's bothered me for some time, from my post:

Question.
Who’s training the managers to be leaders? http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f40/black-hole-sales-training-1848.html

If the dealer doesn't know WTF is going out there they cant recruit not grow anyone.

The process has to start with knowledge of what's needed, a good HR process has to follow, then a supportive team has to be availalble for greatness.

I understand that knowledge and management involvement are needed, but I'm tired of dealers hiring people from a small pool of talent and never reaching out to the world looking for perhaps their best salesperson yet. A strong HR process is also a must.

Managers no longer take responsibility for the success or failure of their people. Salespeople need a direction and an understanding of what is required of them.