• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How open would other BDC's be with their day to day operations?

Robert B.

Full Sticker
Sep 18, 2014
First Name
Robert
So I am in the beginning phases of implementing a BDC at our dealership. I have the dealer principle and all of management on board and am solely spearheading the project.

While presenting the proposal to management the other day the dealer principle kind of blind sided me by asking me to find another BDC to observe for a day or two, preferably one that sells the same product as we do - Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram.

Though I have a decent amount of BDC experience I have only ever worked at one organization. Aside from what I read and watch online I can't really speak to how other BDC's are run. Granted, the company I did work for was extremely process driven, so I definitely feel like I come from a strong foundation.

He is asking me to find an established and proven department to bounce ideas off of in addition to observing their day to day.

I know there is only one other BDC department in our state that consists of more than one person. And they definitely would not be open to assisting...which I wouldn't blame them for.

We are in the South-East region.

Has anyone done this before? How does one go about approaching this?

Would anyone even be remotely open to helping with this?

Thanks in advance.

I think every day is the as much as it is different. I'd love to say I have a regiment that I follow. However, every day starts out the same – someone has an emergency, someone has something broke again, I have 18 leads i need to interrogate sales people about, and 15 reports that need to be updated all well making sure my BDC agents have everything they need, reviwing their contacts and finding a few good and no-so to go over with the team.
What are they hoping you will get out of shadowing someone? I think there is a ton of information you can get here - in store is always going to be hard. But I'm here to help as I can, and I'm sure many others will do the same.