Welcome to DealerRefresh Forums!

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking thelink above. You may have to Register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I am BEYOND frustrated with Dealer.com

Discussion in 'Marketing Gripes' started by EChris, Mar 29, 2011.

1. EChris

EChris Noob

First Name:
    Eric
    Company:
    EC
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. ArtMorris

ArtMorris Refresher

First Name:
    Art
    Company:
    Bobby Rahal Auto Group
    My problem with Dealer.com is our support. Unless it is a very simple request our questions often go unanswered. We've bounced between different account managers and none of them have been responsive or helpful. Our previous account manager was VERY unknowledgeable about the unique inventory problems created by the official Acura website template. So, I sympathize with you.

I am curious about *who* at Dealer.com told you to look elsewhere. I can't believe a competent Dealer.com representative would let your organization walk away, with all those rooftops your monthly bill must be hefty.
  3. stephaniepauk

stephaniepauk Noob

First Name:
    Stephanie
    Company:
    John Hiester Chevrolet
    I second being beyond frustrated with Dealer.com. I have been trying for weeks to get them to upload the videos of our inventory to YouTube. Nothing. I have never dealt with such run around in my entire life.
  4. Christine Knowles

Christine Knowles Noob

First Name:
    Christine
    Company:
    Checkered Flag Auto Group
    I was shocked to see the title of this post pop onto my screen because I have the exact opposite opinion of Dealer.com. I've worked with my rep, Shane, for a long time and he is always responsive, helpful, quick.. everything you'd hope for. When I have a concern or question Shane goes above and beyond to assist me. I've never experienced any issues like the ones you're describing, and we've used the eBay feature at our Jaguar Porsche Audi dealer for a while. I'm sure there was just some sort of misunderstanding on the part of the specific representative you're dealing with.

My advice would be to reach out to the next level.. his manager, or supervisor. I second Art in thinking there is no way a "competent" rep would advise you to take your business elsewhere. Maybe you got a hold of someone on a bad day or something. If I was a bettin' lady, I'd put my money on you receiving a swift and satisfactory resolution.
  5. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Company:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter:
    axsnyder
    I just informed a few of my coworkers, at Dealer.com, about this thread. We will be getting some answers back soon.
  6. Jake L

Jake L Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Jake
    Company:
    MISC
    I agree. For example, to change our site text from "trebuchet ms" to "Arial" - which is simply changing the name in the css file - it will be $150.

That is crazy! Our rep said the high price is due to the hourly rate they charge, which must be around $1000 per hour because that is a 2 minute change - at the most!

Also, I am fed up with the so called "SEO experts" at Dealer.com. THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY'RE DOING and it seems to me they do not have any hands on experience - they just read whatever is on the latest SEO blogs & they do not understand the simple concept of DUPLICATE CONTENT HURTS YOUR RANKINGS.

They keep replacing our new & fresh content with the SAME CONTENT that is on every out-of-the-box Dealer.com website. Of course universal keywords are changed like [Dealer Name] [Dealer Make] [Street Address] [Town address] etc but Google is not stupid.

Just my 2cents...for now...could go on..:)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Matt_Murray

Matt_Murray Noob

First Name:
    Matt
    Company:
    Dealer.com
    Hey All,

Matt from Dealer.com here. There are a few different things to talk about in this thread, and I will do my best to satisfy each of you.

@EChris: I am a bit surprised, as is Art apparently, that you were told to take your business elsewhere. If there are specific issues with the eBay tool on your end I would like to discuss them with you and I would expect that you will be hearing from a couple of people here at Dealer.com. You'll find my contact info at the end of this post.

@ArtMorris: I would like to acknowledge that different website programs can sometimes have very specific requirements and compliance regulations. We do, however, have a dedicated team on staff that is charged with digesting and satisfying Acura specific guidelines. Secondly, I have to point out that our Account Management team consistently raises it's customer satisfaction rating, or NPS rating, every quarter. If your experience has not been inline with the majority of our clients let's talk about some specific examples. Again, my contact info is below.

@stephaniepauk: Oh Youtube. This is a discussion that we have had with many clients over a long period of time. Although I can appreciate your desire to get the vids online, I have a couple of thoughts to share on this:

1. Youtube has very clear regulations about the posting of videos to their service. One of those regulations specifically prohibits the automated posting of videos. This presents an enormous challenge when you consider that a dealer has perhaps 100-300 vehicles on their lot, each with their own video. I ask you to be patient while we work through ensuring that we are not banned from posting to Youtube because, as you can imagine, they will find it very easy to identify us as an automated service. Also, please be sure that your Account Manager has your credentials etc...

2. More importantly: Put yourself in the Youtube users shoes for a minute. I enjoy the occasional video at Youtube and generally its a viral comedy like Double Rainbow Guy. I don't, however, use Youtube to shop for anything. Although this seems like a hurdle for your dealership, I would expect that this will in fact not add anything to your bottom line. We offer the service because many many dealers are interested in posting to Youtube. If I were running an internet department however, there would be many initiatives that would come far before this one. If you would like to discuss with me, feel free to use my contact info below.

I would like to thank each of you for being Dealer.com clients and remind you that feedback is how we improve both products and services. Working through an issue, no matter how big or small, helps our team grow and learn how to better serve you and the industry as a whole.

Matt Murray
    Director, Digital Marketing
    Matt@dealer.com
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Nathan Carr

Nathan Carr Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Nathan
    Company:
    Lisle Auto Plaza
    I must admit that our experiences with Dealer.com have been on both sides of the coin.

Currently I am more than pleased with the effort, performance and help offered by our current rep Mat Katz. We had struggles with our previous reps in the past but after pushing we got Mat. It seems to me that Dealer.com should do a better job of matching up clients skill levels with an appropriate rep.

Overall though I like the Dealer.com platform and can certainly understand people frustrations.
  9. EChris

EChris Noob

First Name:
    Eric
    Company:
    EC
    Wanted to let the community know that my Tech issues have been handled. Thank you.
  10. kevinfrye

kevinfrye Jr. Refresher

First Name:
    Kevin
    Company:
    Jeff Wyler Automotive Family
    Jake, I don't think there will ever be a solution to this with any major website provider. If you truly want unique content, you will have to go in and edit what is there or create your own. If you need some help or guidance, let me know, I have created over 1000 pages of custom content on our sites, and the payoff is tremendous in SEO if you are willing to take the time to do it...
  11. ArtMorris

ArtMorris Refresher

First Name:
    Art
    Company:
    Bobby Rahal Auto Group
    That's great. However, it shouldn't have taken a post on DealerRefresh to get your problems fixed.
  12. ArtMorris

ArtMorris Refresher

First Name:
    Art
    Company:
    Bobby Rahal Auto Group
    This is a gripe that I share as well. I know exactly what I need to change in the HTML, but I have no access to change it and its an outrageously expensive billable service.
  13. Alex Snyder

First Name:
    Alex
    Company:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter:
    axsnyder
    You're right - it shouldn't take a post to get a problem resolved, but unfortunately that is the real world for virtually any organization. Is the dealer principle at your group talking to each and every service customer about their problems? No, he's working on operational things, but his attention is changed when a customer sends him an email about a problem she is experiencing in service. At that time, he works to resolve that problem and usually makes some changes to the process so that problem doesn't happen the same way again.

That is the beauty of DealerRefresh. We all have an equally louder voice that our attentive vendors listen to :thumbup: - use it as needed.

Art & Jake - can each of you send me an email with exactly what you're needing: alex DOT snyder AT dealer DOT com.
  14. Jake L

Jake L Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Jake
    Company:
    MISC
    Yes I understand this and I have created 150+ within the 3 sites, however, they remove the content and replace it with the out-of-the-box content because their "professionals" assume their content is better than mine.

This all without a warning of removal of content or anything. Really weird if you ask me.
  15. ECURB

ECURB Refresher

First Name:
    Bruce
    Company:
    BMW of Ridgefield
    We have a had a generally good experience with dealer.com.

As far as people being mad that they cannot edit code themselves... we us Cobalt for our website so I know the feeling... but lets be serious... if these companies let you start playing with source code... the phone calls into support starting with "I broke it and can't fix it" would be amazing in terms of volume.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Alex Snyder

First Name:
    Alex
    Company:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter:
    axsnyder
    You can edit HTML per page, but the CSS resides with Dealer.com. Like you said, one can really mess a whole site up by playing with the source code and that is why we have to keep that portion internal. There are also some manufacturer restrictions that come into play for compliance and we need to be sure we aren't breaking their terms.

But with that said - Art and Jake, please send me that email I asked for. I want to personally give you two a hand.
  17. JoeLittle

JoeLittle Noob

First Name:
    Joe
    Company:
    VinSolutions
    Why wouldn't a dealer not want to post to YouTube? I think its very important for dealers to post their walk arounds and inventory.
    Benefits of YouTube Marketing:

· Can view videos on mobile smartphones; can’t really view banner ads, post cards, or other traditional marketing methods on phones
    · Descriptions and titles of YouTube videos are indexed on major search engines, especially Google since they own YouTube
    · Customizable YouTube channel (profile) where you can showcase your videos and also favorites (which may be providing a service to a user- eg seatbelt safety) helps your dealership establish a personalized presence—can add dealer colors and logo.
    · Different medium to display information—some customers may appreciate seeing/hearing a car run and the car’s interior via a video before test driving it.
    · Video can humanize your dealership- eg showcase a different salesperson in a “sales showcase†as a weekly or monthly feature, can show video of dealership events, video testimonials of new customers, service tips from your service department (eg why you need to change your oil every 3000 miles or how to tell if you need to replace your tires).
    · YouTube videos *may* get indexed faster than webpages because YouTube is already an established website

Additional Resources:
    7 Benefits of Online Video Marketing for Local Businesses YouTube - 7 Benefits of Online Video Marketing for Local Businesses
    5 Reasons YouTube Should Be A Part of Your Social Marketing Strategy

1. Cost free - Unlike other means of advertising, YouTube videos are shown for free. There is no required budget for your campaign and not cost per click..
    2. Global audience - YouTube marketing takes your website global. It is viewed by people all over the world.
    3. Viral effect - Interesting YouTube videos that evoke any kind of positive response from viewers are usually shared by viewers with their friends and family members. As a result, soon your popularity increases with minimum effort on your video. You simply have to upload a good video and your job is done.
    4. Climbing up the ladder in Google's SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages) - As the video on YouTube highlights the URL of your main website; many viewers are often prompted to visit the site to know more about the services or products that are on offer. So, the hits on your site increases by leaps and bounds with YouTube marketing which enhances your search engine rankings.
    5. Making your own customized channel or customer base - Whenever a video is added to a YouTube account, it leads to the creation of one profile channel by itself. Keen viewers usually form a part of this channel and may also take its subscription. One may also promote their websites further by sending newsletters through e-mails to these subscribers. In other words, it can aid in building your customer list.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1884558
  18. davidmoon

davidmoon Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    David
    Company:
    Kontaroo
    Even with compliance, I would think you'd consider allowing select css editing through a control panel--much like a Wordpress theme.
  19. andwrig

andwrig Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Vinart Dealerships
    Company:
    Vinart Dealerships
    We have also had problems with support at Dealer.com and I have made my concerns known to people like Pat Workman. I also fill out the surveys that come out from the CMO or whoever they come from. I also list my concerns and put my name at the bottom to be contacted and nothing ever happens.

My biggest concerns are lack of responsiveness and platform rigidity with respect to adding/changing things. I agree with Kevin Frye that we'll never get a truly custom environment unless we do our own thing. I'd love to do that but the manufacturers mandated website programs make it hard. Yes we could maintain duplicate websites but that just increases overhead to manage and frankly, is just plain silly.

@AlexSnyder - I get a report every morning detailing yesterday's follow up phone call results and I respond to everyone that warrants a response. Moreover, when a customer completes an online survey, the results come directly to me and my customer relations manager. Now, I understand the scale issue here. DDC is a much bigger company then us but the responsiveness to tech concerns and customer surveys is not very good.

My sites do perform well in terms of traffic metrics so that I am very pleased with but support is a good 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10.
  20. Alex Snyder

First Name:
    Alex
    Company:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter:
    axsnyder
    Andy - you know you can always call me. Has anything come-up since we last went over your analytics?