• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

In today's market how do ISM's really track success?

shudson

Sled Master
Apr 13, 2009
First Name
Stephanie
The last year has been a rollar coaster for most Car Dealers...and ISM's like myself have evolved into more of a prominent role in the success of the Sales Department "Finally I must add". Everyday a new vendor comes out with a new latest and greatest product that will help you sell more cars from your website....goodness how do you choose from all of them? My question is with the ever changing industry we live online and the market rollar coaster how do you really track how well your doing? Sure there are industry averages but who wants to be average?

I am reaching out for insight into how other ISM's are truly measuring their success online. Conversion ratios, % of internet sales verses other,measuring a vendor's ROI, and the lists keeps going?

What are you using for a CRM? That's the first place I would start when it comes to measuring success. Some CRM tools have ROI reports built in.
Elead. I have reports galore what I am looking for is how do you really know how well you are doing? with all the new vendors and things to do and try...how are other ISM measuring their true success?

We have a spread sheet that breaks down total # of leads received. We look for how many people showed. Than we look at the show to close ratio.

From the leads we received last month, the internet department represented 59% of the used cars sold and 26% for new cars.
As a total for our store, we represented close to 30% of the total business for the dealership and closed about 14% of the total qualified leads submitted.

So these are factors that can be tracked month to month and year to year.

I would say that if your selling 12% or more of your total leads for the month, than your doing good job. Compare the trends month over month and year over year.

I will send a copy of the excell spread sheet we use for you to look over.

Last edited:
I would like to add something else. Whether you are a success or not depends on your overall attitude about your job.

Are you giving 100% ?
Are doing everything possible to continue to learn ?
Can you critique yourself and ask what can I do better ?

If you answer "yes" , than that is what matters. I don't know if I have all the answers for everyones needs, but when I show up to work, I am constantly trying to improve and give the best effort.

Think like a customer and shop like one !

We have a spread sheet that breaks down total # of leads received. We look for how many people showed. Than we look at the show to close ratio.

From the leads we received last month, the internet department represented 59% of the used cars sold and 26% for new cars.
As a total for our store, we represented close to 30% of the total business for the dealership and closed about 14% of the total qualified leads submitted.

So these are factors that can be tracked month to month and year to year.

I would say that if your selling 12% or more of your total leads for the month, than your doing good job. Compare the trends month over month and year over year.

I will send a copy of the XL spread sheet we use for you to look over.
danoneil... i would love a copy of the spreadsheet

thanks,

John Bowman
[email protected]

I would like to add something else. Whether you are a success or not depends on your overall attitude about your job.

Are you giving 100% ?
Are doing everything possible to continue to learn ?
Can you critique yourself and ask what can I do better ?

If you answer "yes" , than that is what matters. I don't know if I have all the answers for everyones needs, but when I show up to work, I am constantly trying to improve and give the best effort.

Think like a customer and shop like one !
very true.......always maintain a positive attitude