• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Inexpensive device to take 360 photos

Patrick80639

3rd Base Coach
Oct 22, 2009
Awards
First Name
Patrick
Inexpensive device to take interior 360 degree photos

This could be an inexpensive way to capture a vehicle's entire interior. It's called a Sony Bloggie MHS-PM5. Like a flip camera, but has a 360 degree lens! If I read the article right, I think this device would prove to be very useful.

Sony's Flip Competitor Spins 360-degree Footage | Popular Science=

Last edited:
Jeff put the URL to the camera in his post. We aren't using this as a 360 interior device; instead, Christine uses the Sony for impromptu video clips. The difference between this and a flip is that the Sony takes actual still photos and the video head reverses so you can easily film yourself.

What Patrick posted would be a very nice addition to the Sony :cool:

I could be completely wrong but I think a 360 photo of the actual vehicle would hold a ton of value, unlike a video, which is alive and activates the senses, a 360 spin can take a customer to exactly what they want to see and allow them to focus and obsess over a feature, like the driver seat where they'll be sitting. You're still engaged in a dynamic experience - you can pan around where ever you want. As a customer I would feel as though I've thoroughly inspected the vehicle even more so then with a video, where you're at the mercy of the camera man and the grainy image if you pause on a feature.

As a dealer we don't have a process in place for videos let alone 360 interior and exterior spins of the actual vehicle... just pie in the sky.

The only way to do this type of picture with existing equipment would be through stitching many pictures together using software. At that point you could let the image stand, or feed it into a flash based program for the cool spinning motion. The software would also add lens effects to the edges to make it seem circular.

You'd need a camera with a wide angle lens, a tripod you could use in the car to steady your shots, and a computer geek ;)

This site goes into the details on the concept: What Is A 360 Degree Panoramic Photo And How To Make One

Last edited: