Welcome to DealerRefresh Forums!

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking thelink above. You may have to Register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Internet Manager snakes Dealership

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex Snyder, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Twitter:
    axsnyder
    Article from DealersEdge: Dealer sues former Internet manager over online vandalism, defamation | News | DealersEdge

Who else has heard of this stuff?
  2. Jeff Kershner

Jeff Kershner Founder Staff Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Twitter:
    dealerrefresh
    So much power - so many options :)

When you think about it, the ISM's holds the key to your virtual showroom/business. All those passwords......:dunno:

Thanks for sharing Alex.
  3. DrewAment

DrewAment Active Member

First Name:
    Drew
    Twitter:
    DrewAment
    same dealer -- Fette Kia - Online Print Specials

LOL - are we waiting for the calendars to reset to 2007? :dunno: If it takes them this long to update their specials....surprise they found out about the other stuff so quick!

I have a dealer that I haven't worked for in 2 years....my default username and password still works!
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  4. JoePistell

JoePistell Super Moderator

First Name:
    Joe
    Twitter:
    JoePistell
    Management should periodically audit the ISM to produce a complete inventory of all marketing sites and their passwords
  5. Alex Snyder

First Name:
    Alex
    Twitter:
    axsnyder
    I sent this to our owners (my family) and told them they didn't have anything to worry about :lol: But I agree, we should all have to cough things up. It should apply to IT departments too.

BUT there are a few of us here who would absolutely decimate a dealership if we left. Even if all our logins and passwords were given. Who the hell in your dealership could pick up the pieces Joe? I know there is no one else at Checkered Flag. If our competitors really wanted to hurt us, they could hire a hit man and have me taken out. What happens if we get hit by a bus? That's the real scare for the dealership.
  6. Jerry Thibeau

Jerry Thibeau New Member

First Name:
    Jerry
    Twitter:
    thephoneninja
    Sounds like you better ask the dealership for protection. A couple of big strapping amazonian women should do the trick.:rofl:
  7. danoneil

danoneil New Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Or better yet, Tiger Woods wife can protect you with a 9 iron. ..........sorry had to say it.

Unfortunately, even if the dealership wins, they probably won't see a dime.
  8. Craig

Craig New Member

First Name:
    Craig
    For the average store that chooses their "Internet Manager" through the very technical......."Hey you have a laptop, you deal with the internet customers" method of developing an internet department. This should be a wake up call as to the position of power an Internet Manager really is.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  9. Alex Snyder

First Name:
    Alex
    Twitter:
    axsnyder
    eCommerce Director Bodyguard Needed
    We need to protect our assets. Because of our eCommerce Director's mouth, we have found the need to hire someone to protect his dumb ass. Unfortunately, this guy holds the keys to our kingdom, but he sure likes to piss people off on a particular website called DealerRefresh. In order to make sure we're okay, we need someone to watch out for him (especially on Saturday nights when Jim and Jose are hanging out). We need you to start yesterday as he's been ruffling feathers for a long time.

If you see anyone from Edmunds approaching him, please shoot on site.
  10. Matt DoCampo

Matt DoCampo New Member

First Name:
    Matt
    I used to work a stones throw from Fette. In fact, my parents purchased their Mustang from Fette Ford.

I've actually heard of stuff like this happening before. I seem to remember an internet manager on Long Island hacking into a competitor's email account and skimming leads. I'll see if I can find the news article on it.
  11. OmniQuest Enterprises

OmniQuest Enterprises New Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    How about a disgruntled ex-comptroller from a huge Van Tuyl GM store that handed passwords out like halloween candy to salesmen at other dealerships. It didn't make the news but certainly caused a lot of damage.:yell:
  12. DanMorgan

DanMorgan New Member

First Name:
    Dan
    I was thinking about being a dick to my old dealership after they f-ed me over on some vacation pay I should have rec'd after I quit. I supplied them with all the passwords to the sites I had but I was still able to get into my old Reynolds CRM for 3 months and was able to get into the website backend for the same amount of time before they finally changed it all.

I'm just to nice :shrug:
  13. lfinney

lfinney New Member

First Name:
    LORI
    Not that I am making any plans but oh how easy it would be. In my store I also worked on our phone sytems so I have access to those numbers as well.

I update at least one other person on new passwords and logins at least a few times a year but I am not sure they would know what to do with them if needed,

A few years ago our area had an IMS move from one dealership to another and he sent an email to all his customers alerting them to his new dealership from the CRM of the dealership he quit. I remember getting the email becuase I mystery shopped them and I was amazed. I never hear it anything happened to him. :lmao:

Lori Finney
    Mathews Nissan Suzuki
  14. Brian Tucker

Brian Tucker Member

First Name:
    Brian
    I think Edmunds would have to fight Autotrader for the first punch:lmao: - good stuff!
  15. ghen

ghen New Member

First Name:
    call me Jason
    The true way to handle firing employees is to take away their access to everything before you fire them. Of course that requires planning which I know is hard, but the alternative is not pretty as in this case ;)
  16. Mitch Gallant

Mitch Gallant Refresh Team

First Name:
    Capital Auto Group
    Twitter:
    mitch_4
    Ghen you're right, there's definitely a right way to handle the situation. Unfortunately for this dealer it looks like they don't plan much further ahead then the end of their nose. I can't imagine what it would take to make me waste my time sabotaging my dealer ... mind you being fired would probably make me go bananas.
  17. Shellie

Shellie New Member

First Name:
    Shellie
    This is fascinating! As someone who has never worked for a dealership, but has worked for technology companies both inside and outside of the industry, I think it speaks to how far behind dealer management is when it comes to understanding the power of the technology they buy.

I can tell you from experience at other auto dealer technology providers that it is not uncommon for someone to leave a dealership, and for that person to be the ONLY one who knows anything about our technology. This doesn't happen here at DealerSocket since we impact so many areas in the dealership, but when I was working for Who's Calling, there were so many stories of our "guy" (or gal) leaving and our sales person having to go in and resell the new GM/GSM/DP on the system all over again. Sometimes we wouldn't even know they had been fired until months! Not to mention the horror stories that resulted from never changing passwords and leads being stolen, calls redirected, etc. Hopefully this is a wake up call.

This would likely never happen at a technology company, you get the boot, you get cut off, no guessing... your passwords are toast! Thanks for sharing, Alex, great stuff!

Shellie Pierce
    www.dealersocket.com
    spierce@dealersocket.com
  18. VJnator

VJnator New Member

First Name:
    Volker
    Our policy was that only the president of the Group and myself as an eCommerce Director had the passwords as well as all phone numbers of our vendors (websites, leads, etc...) were paired with our contact rolodex. Alex, you hit the nail on the head. Dealerships who are still believing that Online Reputation is just another marketing gig should learn it the hard way. Online Reputation is an essential ingredient in todays automotive "pie" - just don't forget to stir it up frequently.
  19. ghen

ghen New Member

First Name:
    call me Jason
    I usually find out that someone got fired when the new guy calls me up and wants his voicemail password... I say what happened to that other guy at this extension? Makes me cringe every time.
  20. Aereus

Aereus New Member

First Name:
    Craig
    We had a similar situation at our dealership. Problem solved by making password deletion a part of the exit interview. Also all users were tracked in a routine that listed last date of activity. Compare that list to a former employee leave date and you could instantly spot where someone was active when they shouldn't have been.