• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Internet Manager snakes Dealership

Shawn,

It's not too hard to get a new IP address. I could easily mask my IP and make it look like I was logged on from another part of the country. Not to mention if somebody really wanted to snake a dealership they would not be very wise to do so from their current IP address. A public library would work just fine.

Jerry - I think what the comment was meant to say - you should be able to ONLY allow access from certain IP address'. This is probably the better way to do it. Since most dealers public IP does not change, only people WITH-IN your dealer would be able to access the CRM.

You should only have a select few people access it from outside - GM, IT, Controller...etc

--Drew

The downside to IP-lockout is that people can't login from home. We have a few sales agents who work their follow-up from home, and virtually all managers hop into our CRM on their days off. I would hate to crimp this kind of dedication.

We had a similar situation at our dealership. Problem solved by making password deletion a part of the exit interview. Also all users were tracked in a routine that listed last date of activity. Compare that list to a former employee leave date and you could instantly spot where someone was active when they shouldn't have been.
Exit interview???! Have not had one of them since leaving the military...I've just ignored the thought trying to access stuff after I leave a company- I've a healthy fear of karma...