• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Is your dealership on a domain yet?

ewalraven

Boss
Mar 23, 2010
First Name
Delete
I'm just curious -

How many people actually have a domain setup in their dealership? The phrases:

"Active Directory"
"DHCP"
"File Server"

All goes in one ear out the other. Then when you talk about price it will def. get ignored. I don't think I need to give the reasons why it would be an obvious advantage to us to move to a domain. I'm more or less just interested how many people have a system setup they can actually brag to their IT buddies about.

For the record we have 100+ systems that really are only run to applications Remote Desktop (Autobase) and Reynolds. For e-mail and file sharing we use google apps (for business obv.). For content filtering - We have a Sonicwall in place. Other than that we are pretty basic. If it was up to me we would have been on a domain a year ago with group policies and mandatory profiles setup. Though maybe that's just the network nazi that comes in.

Fill out the poll, please!

Our group has rolled a cross-rooftop domain out to all the stores. Our users (except for me, since I have to access some things on the server for other stores) aren't using it yet--some things have to be straightened out on our hodgepodge of hardware first, with a side order of our new store being built.

I definitely see the potential--it's just not here yet. Until then, we survive on Dropbox.

Reactions: 1 person
Our group has rolled a cross-rooftop domain out to all the stores. Our users (except for me, since I have to access some things on the server for other stores) aren't using it yet--some things have to be straightened out on our hodgepodge of hardware first, with a side order of our new store being built.

I definitely see the potential--it's just not here yet. Until then, we survive on Dropbox.

How many comp's you got surviving on your current setup? Static IP's I'm assuming?

How many comp's you got surviving on your current setup? Static IP's I'm assuming?
More an every-man-for-himself arrangement. Not pretty, but we've survived.

We use Dropbox two ways, one to broadcast information about inventory to the salesmen and one to circulate tracking spreadsheets between sales managers and accounting (and me, the person who built and maintains them).

More an every-man-for-himself arrangement. Not pretty, but we've survived.

We use Dropbox two ways, one to broadcast information about inventory to the salesmen and one to circulate tracking spreadsheets between sales managers and accounting (and me, the person who built and maintains them).

Ok, I understand. I thought I was going to get instant bashing for having and "accepting" this setup. Good to know know other people are going through the same thing.

I just ordered our first server. I will be rolling out active directory over the next few months.

How many workstations do you currently have? How many more do you plan to add in the upcomming year? Is it just gonna be one server that does it all - mail, dchp, fileserver, etc? Are you planning on keeping (or moving) anything "to the cloud"? Oh, and how do you currently host your mail?