• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Key Systems for Car Dealers

We have been using 1Micro. System is ok, user friendly and is great when it functions properly. But their service is horrendous. It just may be our location and lack of techs available to come out, but it has been very difficult to get our machines repaired even though we have their platinum service plan. I found this forum while searching for a new system to replace them. Not so sure a perfect system has been created yet...so search continues.

I'll throw a freebie tip in this thread for the KeyTrak-ers. We've never riveted our keys in place, but we wanted to ensure you couldn't slip the key off the tag. Regular zip-ties can be over-tightened and break the tag or be obnoxious, but then we found fixed-loop ones from McMaster-Carr, part 1881T712. Loop everything in, then click the end closed, and it's done--can't tighten it any further, can't undo it without breaking the tie.

$10.03 for a pack of 100, shipping's about $5 whether you order one pack or 10 (order ten, be bold!), and just get the ground shipping because McMaster is ridiculously fast to ship. (We use them a lot in building FIRST robots for this very reason--order Tuesday, have it Wednesday.)

I can't believe no one has mentioned Keyper Systems. We use them at our dealership to manage 400+ cars, and it works wonderfully and is incredibly simple. We absolutely love it. The service is super. We have dealt with a competent person every time we have called them with a problem.

Automotive Electronic Key Safes - KEYper Systems Automotive Services

They used to have a crappy database structure, but they moved to an SQL server database structure and vastly improved remote access and reporting.

We like KeyTrack, we've had it for years.
We use Zip Ties, but everyone knows "don't tighten". We originally had our demo plates in it too, but have since moved them to an old school mini peg board due to lack of drawer space.
We've recently started using a Sales Demo report we built (probably a duplication of our CRM-but also probably more accurate) to see which vehicle's demo vs sold ratios are better or worse than average.
Karen Ann