• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Looking for feedback on various CRM products

Bill
To echo what many have said here already, the single most important factor to any CRM is buy-in and usage. If the sales people do not see a benefit and/or are not held accountable for usage the system will fail. The same goes for BDC, Internet, Management, etc...If any part of the team isn't taking full advantage of the system you aren't going to get a good return no matter what you spend. There are a lot of good tools out there, many of them have been mentioned in the thread. My advice as someone who has been in the industry and specifically in this field for several years is to not get caught up in features; many of the sales demonstrations you have seen have no doubt centered on the things that one provider can do that none of the others can. While that makes for a great demonstration it really wont give you much insight into how you and your team are going to use the tool on a daily basis. Most CRM tools handle the basics well enough, what really differentiates the best tools in my opinion are the following: 1) email deliverabilty, ask the references the % of transaction and marketing emails that are delivered to the intended customers. Ask the rep what the company is doing to ensure white label status with email providers and what kind of reporting they have to back up any claims. 2) work flow. How many clicks to complete basic tasks, when you click on something is what you expect to happen what happens? This will be a huge determining factor in long term usage. 3) after sales training. what is the commitment of the vendor to your long term success and usage of the tool? While some provide on site training quarterly ask who provides that training. Is it the sales rep? You might want to consider additional training options as having a full day of training every few months at the store can be disruptive and it can take a long time to "onboard" a new employee. Interactive (live) online training that is on-demand might be a good alternative especially when combined with prerecorded classes available anytime. 4) after sales support. will you have a dedicated account manager or support contact? Is support only for incoming calls or will you have scheduled monthly calls to discuss usage metrics and find ways to improve. I know this is a long post but I thought it might bring up a few questions for you to ask as you make your final decision. Let us know what you decide.

• Useful
Reactions: craigh
Baron
VinSolutions was purchased by AutoTrader.com/Cox Automotive in 2011 with the consensus that they got better after the sale. Autobase was the CRM that purchased by Dominion and the big difference between it and most of the other tools on the market is that it was/is server based. I wanted to clear up any confusion.
Thank you for clarifying that Shawn

Hi Baron,

Thanks for the input, It's definitely a value, not cost approach. I have a pretty clear view of what we want, there are some nice products out there. If you could expand on your comments about ELeads being a disaster if not used correctly. Of course, these are all "garbage in, garbage out".

Bill

e-Leads, with the way their accesses work, it's possible for salespeople to take a customer out of the "showroom visit" as if they were never there. So if you run hard percentages for bonuses, etc., the whole schematic can be skewed. A weak salesperson can hide for a time inside those numbers, meanwhile you are losing sale after sale because maybe a manager doesn't t.o or they don't turn a customer to the BDC and they get broomed.

The workflows for follow-up schedules are a disaster, and I believe purposely made overly complex for no apparent reason.

And quite frankly their training stunk. When we came across situations where they system couldn't perform what we were looking for (and all systems will have that. It's natural.), instead of working on solutions they denigrated our processes and me particularly as being the problem. I would have thrown them out of the store but I was stopped from doing so.

Right now, on the BDC side, we are working well with it. But we are having major issues getting information properly through the system on the sales floor. That is not the fault of the system, but broken processes on our end.

The one area where e-leads is 100% hands down better, in my opinion, than anything out there is the integration ability with phone systems and third party vendors (chat programs, etc.) Through an application called CarWars we have recordrd calls attached to the records through a "click to call" system. I love it.

Baron
VinSolutions was purchased by AutoTrader.com/Cox Automotive in 2011 with the consensus that they got better after the sale. Autobase was the CRM that purchased by Dominion and the big difference between it and most of the other tools on the market is that it was/is server based. I wanted to clear up any confusion.

You are correct. I hit the wrong company. However, that doesn't mitigate the fact that Vinsolutions went completely down hill after their purchase. It became unreliable, inconsistent, there was no updating technology (we were promised phone integration for three years only to never see it happen), and a lot of other companies flew by them in almost every aspect.

I know a couple of the trainers from VIN who left the company (I had previous relationships with them before they went to VIN) who even claim the culture is radically different.

Too much chaos to be effective, and it showed in the product.

Now, that may have changed in the last 14 months but it was certainly the case then, otherwise we would have stayed with them. A CRM install for a store our size is always a disaster no matter how well you plan.

Hello everyone, Thanks for making this a great conversation. In my due diligence, I have learned a lot.
  • Good CRMs are much more complex than expected.
  • I found out how little our current product does for us.
  • There are some great companies out there.
  • There are also some that make you scratch your head like you have fleas
  • At the end of it all, DealerSocket and ELeadsOne were the final players. Sales teams in both cases were top notch pros and very accomodating.
I looked at smaller players. There is just not enough integration for my goal of having a system as streamlined as possible plus great reporting. Some were just archaic. I had the 2 issues to contend with, playing nice with Dominion ACS and being an approved CRM for our OEM.

Both finalists had a nice menu of features, prices were competitive after a bit of haggling. Neither are low cost. Both had nice desking tools built in. I am counting on the ROI over cost.

So, it was a tough choice. I went with ELeadsOne for a couple reasons.
  • They have a full basket of products, and I can move into the service lane items later. (DealerSocket also does).
  • No contracts, month to month, nice to not be tied in. Likewise, I don't plan on changing for a long time.
  • Virtual BDC is their own product, they have their own call center. DealerSocket uses a 3rd party affiliate.
  • They are affiiliated with and resell CarNow, a feature rich chat product that will improve my chat engagement, with a better cost than on the outside.
  • Reporting is robust and will regular use, we should see opportunities to tighten processes up.
So, the setup is ongoing, we'll see how things go. Thanks for all the input and exchange.

Well, We're a few weeks in and what an adventure. I will look forward to this being sorted so I can move on to my other projects.

We have a nice mix of product from ELeads, and the CRM is a powerful system. The install, being kind, has been less then impressive. Sales buy in has been generally good, but the set up and training leave much to be desired. I expected some wrinkles, after all, this is a big changeover. I asked for our 2 stores to be set up identically, it didn't happen, training was rushed and not as effective as expected. I have been dedicated to the post install rep for the past 2 weeks trying to iron out all of the issues, things that don't work, processes that aren't processing and the interaction with multiple vendors. By far, the biggest frustration is having to depend on others to make changes and the time it takes to get things accomplished. Many lessons have been learned.

In the end, the reporting and info that we can glean from this should be very good, but there's really no reason for it to be such a chore to get settled in. Is this just my experience or is it typical to have so much disruption?

Bumping this thread. Because it needs to be bumped. We may have a lot of dealers considering a new CRM due to the change in the landscape.

DealerTrack which owned 2+ CRM's then buys Dealer.com which was rolling out their new CRM. Then Cox comes in and swoops up DealerTrack while already owning VINSolutions.

Let's agree Cox isn't going to sell 4+ CRM's. So who is going to WIN?? --- before you answer this, I started a NEW THREAD for this one. So please comments HERE on the DealerTrack VS DDC VS VINSolutions - But Cox still Wins

Hello all,

Just a follow up to my CRM adventure, we chose ELead1 for our system. It's a terrific product. Our implementation was rocky, that's being kind. But, in their defense, after some... spirited phone calls, we are getting on track. Our sales person has proven himself as a professional, helping get the issues in from of the right people. They also sent another trainer out, who was outstanding (actually the top trainer for the US).

So, I would still recommend ELead1, but with my new knowledge, I'd make the setup calendar different. We're getting settled in with it, the reports are impressive.