• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Managed Chat Internal Proposal

bwaitejr

Green Pea
Apr 29, 2014
First Name
Berney
DealerRefresh Folks,

I created this study for my management team. Interested in hearing your thoughts! I am not a “car guy” historically and have spent the majority of my sales career in the software industry working with process improvement. I have had success in the Automotive Industry primarily in the Commercial Fleet Arena. Was given Internet department to turn around in November of last year. Turned it from a 3-6% closing ratio to an average of about 15%. I think this is the next step to move the needle up another level. Hopefully, I removed all names/companies to protect whatever!

ONLINE CHAT PROVIDER STUDY​

I have conducted quite a bit of research regarding the use of XXX as our online chat provider. Based on the information below it is my recommendation that we make a change. I have explored multiple vendors and in my opinion, one stands out above the rest. Please read the below findings.

CURRENT SYSTEM (XXX)- Facts

[SUB]****[/SUB]

XXX is a “managed chat” solution.We spend thousands of marketing dollars permonth 1) Driving traffic to our website. And 2) Training “our” salespeople. We then allow someone in XXX to become our first line of communication with the customer. This person has no knowledge of our store, our needs, and likely qualified for the position they are in by being able to type 60wpm and show up on time. They also have no reason or incentive to build a rapport with the customer. Would we consider forwarding all of our phone calls to an outside call center?

APRIL MTD:

We have received 74 total online chats.I receive an email on every chat interaction whether for sales, service, parts, or other. I took the opportunity to dig into them a little deeper. Important data below.

According to our Daily Managers Report, we are closing our PHONE UPS for Sales at 13.6% (66 phone ups / 40 appts / 9 sold). The online chat ratio should be similar!

A closer look at the process:
  1. Visitor comes to website and initiates chat. Why? They want the answer now!
  2. They collect the customer’s Name, Number, and Email.
  3. Lead submitted to CRM….typically about a 5 min processing delay.
  4. We respond to lead, hopefully within 15 minutes. (We may or may not have theanswer by then.)
  5. Therefore, someone who wants information now has up to a 20 minute wait.
  6. I also conducted a test with their “Call Us” button. I requested a call in 5 minutes at 8:11am, and I think its broken as I never received the lead in CRM. My guess is that I would receive notification in 3-5 min.

This leads me to the next question. What is that customer likely doing during that 20 minute period? SEARCHING OTHER DEALERSHIPS!

What I like about XXX:
  1. They provide a simple way to read the lead andlearn about the conversation. We are educated on needs.
  2. They are able to display special offers such asgas card, military discount, etc.
  3. They provide links/pictures to customer onspecific vehicle.
  4. The menu bar at the bottom of the website is neat looking. (But, it really doesn’t provide any critical information or generate additional opportunities.)
  5. Available for customers to initiate chat on their mobile device.

RECOMMENDED SOLUTION

I have researched a number of them while keeping one thought in mind. “Treat an Internet Lead like they are a customer on the showroom. ”In addition to this, I have considered costs that are that are associated. There are 2 solutions I can find that allow you US to control the initial conversation. The two that I have located are Contact at Once and Engaged Online/ Digital Showroom. Based on many factors my choice would be the Digital Showroom product.

Here is a summary of the key benefits they provide:
  1. We control the online chat.
    A. Initial Concern – Do we all have to sit at our desk waiting? No, the system will immediately notify the designated team of a “waiting chat”. These notifications happen simultaneously and are first delivered to individuals logged into their computer. If no response there, the chat notification is forwarded to the teams cell phone. First one to begin communication gets the communication. Basically, I could chat with a customer from the restroom.

2. Constantcost model. They have quoted us at$760 per store. I have gotten them to waive the $400 set up fee ($1200.00). No additional fees incurred. Contact at Once allows you to control, but, if they handle the chat they charge you for each lead. I prefer the constant cost over one that encourages them to take our chats from us to make them more profitable.

3. ConnectAnytime, Anywhere -You have the ability in real time to switch from your pc to cell phone or cell phone to pc. This is seamless and transparent to the customer. Also allows you to take and send a picture with your cell phone to the customer. Example – we just received anew trade in and no pictures are on the internet.

4. POP UPBLOCKERS – I don’t really understand the “techy stuff” behind this. But, Gubagoo and others can be blocked by pop up blockers. Digital Showroom is immune to this and will not be blocked. They also provide the opportunity for a customer to chat from their mobile device.

5. CLICK TOCALL – They have a click to call feature at the bottom of the chatwindow. (See image below) Upon clicking this, they enter their cell number. The system calls the agent then calls and connects to the customer.

6. IN HOUSECOMMUNICATION – I can easily communicate with anyone on the system via mychat interface, similar to that of google talk. Example, A customer wants a Jeep Cherokee that is in Bessemer. I can initiate a chat to Mark, Bill, Keith, whoever to find out if the vehicle is still available. If it were a fresh trade they can take pictures with their cell phoneand immediately send them to me. Thisprovides a less intrusive method of accomplishing this. Also, handy if a sales rep needs a Manager to come into his / her office for any reason.

7. BACK ENDTOOLS / DATA – I am hoping to have this functionality demonstrated to metoday. From what I can gather, I am able to view how many people are on our site “right now”. I can also see how they arrived there such as “Google Key Words” – from 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party site, from web banner. Basically it is C4 type data in real time. But – Like I said, I have not seen this yet. I am hoping that this data allows us to do some real time studies to determine what is working / not working and adjust advertising message accordingly.

8. TRANSFEROF CHAT – Example, I receive a chat, they have a service need. I can transfer the chat to serviceimmediately so that they can respond directly. Or, I receive communication and they ask for a particular salesperson. I can transfer the chat to that person to handle.

9. CHATHISTORY – All chat communication is recorded and displayed with lead. The benefit over a managed chat solution is that we can coach and improve on our communication skills.

10. CLOSE CHAT / DISPLAY OFFER – When the customer closes the chat window we can display a “special offer” that is clean and professional looking.

INITIAL CONCERNS:
  1. Do we have the man power to handle it? We are currently averaging 3 chats per day for April. We can handle that and need more. Hopefully, the new system will increase those requesting chat.

2. Whathappens when you get a chat after hours? – First, it will follow protocolto PC’s / Cell Phone. Or display a form stating that no one is online and request the information professionally. I actually prefer a good form over a managed chat. This sets an “honest” approach immediately. Does not set an unrealistic expectation to the customer. Month to-date. Chat leads are 83% during business hours.

I strongly feel that is my job to not onlyreactively respond and monitor our Internet Process but also look for methodsor products that will make us more efficient.And, in the end, sell more vehicles!

...According to our Daily Managers Report, we are closing our PHONE UPS for Sales at 13.6% (66 phone ups / 40 appts / 9 sold). The online chat ratio should be similar!

This is a KEY observation because your thesis builds from here. From my experiences, a shopper that chats is way higher in the sales funnel and far from closing. Phone-ups are often much farther down the path. IMO, Chat is a great bridge to a phone call. Take a good hard look at that chat report I built (above). Lots of rich thoughts in there.

Last edited:

A closer look at the process:

1. Visitor comes to website and initiates chat. Why? They want the answer now!
  2. They collect the customer’s Name, Number, and Email.
  3. Lead submitted to CRM….typically about a 5 min processing delay.
  4. We respond to lead, hopefully within 15 minutes. (We may or may not have theanswer by then.)
  5. Therefore, someone who wants information now has up to a 20 minute wait.
  6. I also conducted a test with their “Call Us” button. I requested a call in 5 minutes at 8:11am, and I think its broken as I never received the lead in CRM. My guess is that I would receive notification in 3-5 min.

OMG! "Time to call" way more important than chat. I'd make that your top KPI until your avg gets under 3 minutes.

... We have received 74 total online chats.

Given that you have 500-700 units for sale, 74 chats seems low to me.

Take a good look at your "visitor to chat ratio" and compare it to this AWESOME study: http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f43/...eads-case-study-2-months-505-12.html#post5903

p.s. you'll want visibility into ALL chat metrics.

1). Total # of chats started.
2). Total # of chats that made it into CRM.
3). # of chats abandoned (subtract #1 from #2).

p.p.s. If your chat provider can't give you complete visibility, I'd be very very concerned about #3.

Last observation is a "culture question" that has no fixed answer.

IMO, chat done right is an extension of your in-store culture. If your dealership culture is filled with sharks, then all you want is names and numbers from chat. If your dealership culture is aiming far higher, than self-managed chat is your shoppers 1st brand experience with your dealership's culture. Aim for "warm and fuzzy" concierge like experience to win hearts and minds and forget lead gen stats.

HTH
Joe

Wow, what a URL, how do you tell someone over the phone to go to:

l a n d e r s m c l a r t y n i s s a n h u n t s v i l l e.com

You've forced most shoppers to go to google to find you for every visit. I'd bet your ratio of "# of directs vs all others" to your site is way off.