• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

TAKE POLL My BS Meter is Going Radioactive!

This debate ended up being very good - great points raised on both sides.

My personal thoughts:
  1. Third world employees listening to your calls is not the best solution - if you want generalized reports of the types of calls, etc then sure - if you want quality control and audits, then no.
  2. Managers should take time, from time to time, to review some of their calls - just to have their finger on the pulse of the dealership
  3. Doing live calls in front of your manager applies more stress to the situation and, in my opinion, can have a negative impact on call quality due to the nature of the situation
Good debate though. I don't think one argument or the other was that superior.

Third world employees listening to your calls is not the best solution - if you want generalized reports of the types of calls, etc then sure - if you want quality control and audits, then no.

To keep call monitoring inexpensive, companies need to use third world countries. When they have a defined score sheet with specific questions, it becomes a matter of clicking yes or no. And when certain "No's" are clicked, an alert can be sent to the appropriate person.

Managers should take time, from time to time, to review some of their calls - just to have their finger on the pulse of the dealership

And third party companies can provide a steady stream of those without the manager having to spend valuable time searching for them.

Doing live calls in front of your manager applies more stress to the situation and, in my opinion, can have a negative impact on call quality due to the nature of the situation

I disagree, if a person can't handle this then they are probably not cut out for sales.

To keep call monitoring inexpensive, companies need to use third world countries. When they have a defined score sheet with specific questions, it becomes a matter of clicking yes or no. And when certain "No's" are clicked, an alert can be sent to the appropriate person.

If that's all their doing, it should be done by a computer. We've been working on voice recognition since the 1950s.

And third party companies can provide a steady stream of those without the manager having to spend valuable time searching for them.
Third party companies can provide this, but so can any software. I have 3 different programs that record calls that I interact with on a regular basis - none of them are difficult to use, especially if I'm looking for random samplings.

I disagree, if a person can't handle this then they are probably not cut out for sales.

I can agree with this. They may not be ready for in-person sales, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't make a great BDR.

Why would you need 100% accuracy? The vast majority of dealerships are not listening to any calls so if outsourcing were only marginally good, it would be an improvement over what is currently happening.

That's my logic for automation though. If the automation is 98% accurate, why would you pay for outsourcing?
Our phone system has the option to transcribe any calls in English and it is pretty darn accurate.
Every cell carrier up here does Voicemail-to-Text with good results as well (excluding names and places).

If we're just looking for key words or phrases than humans should not be needed.

Most of the time, you are not looking for specific keywords. You are looking for questions that were not asked or answered. Did a BDC agent get a first name, last name, phone number, email address and ask for the appointment? You need someone with a checklist to make sure the questiosn were asked and answered. Transcription isn't enough, you need some basic interpretation as well.

Most of the time, you are not looking for specific keywords. You are looking for questions that were not asked or answered. Did a BDC agent get a first name, last name, phone number, email address and ask for the appointment? You need someone with a checklist to make sure the questiosn were asked and answered. Transcription isn't enough, you need some basic interpretation as well.

This makes more sense then. I still don't agree with outsourcing, but that's because I believe in a managers involvement.
I also don't run a BDC or a dealership so I'm 100% the wrong person for this conversation.

*bows out*