• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

My opinion of dealers who hate TrueCar

sryan

Desk Monkey
Aug 18, 2012
First Name
S
Last week I had 3 or 4 dealers call me and ask me about my opinion on TrueCar after their rates were increased. Every single one of them tells me things like "I hate this service" "It's killing me" "I'm taking short deals on everything" "It's like crack I can't get off it""Just drop my pants"

I think I am the only one who says. "I love TrueCar". It's what the consumers want so why should we not allow them to take advantage of it? If a savvy customer wants to get a good deal on a car, they'll eventually find truecar and seeing they have 3 dealers with offers on the table may convince them to come in and buy. Great concept right? Not according to the majority of dealers.

So for a few hours yesterday I pulled my entire department month end reports for the past 2 years. In 24 months we sold a total of 63 TrueCar deals with an avg gross of $1397.26 on each deal. That's a total of $88,027.38 in gross over a 2 year span with TrueCar. I am in a state where I get charged monthly and not a per car deal.

If I was on the $300 per copy plan my costs would be $18,900. That's closed to $70k in net profit over a 2 year span from one lead provider. I guess these profits aren't enough right? "TrueCar customers don't come back for service, spend any money at the dealership, nahhhhhhhhh nothing" I've heard it all.

I decided to talk to our service manager. I came to this dealership I am at exactly 2 years ago The service manager has told me in the past year they have broke records for hours turned, parts sold, basically every aspect of the service dept has been increased heavily. My office is over by the service department so I see the internet customers in here all the time, I saw hi to them, shoot the shit, and thank them again for coming in. Our sales department has also broke records for units sold the past 2 years as well. Things are looking for good here!

All and all, I think it's hilarious that dealers are against TrueCar. My favorite quote of the week was "My rates are being raised"...My response was simple: If you don't like the price, get rid of it. TrueCar is publicly traded, just like health insurance; their #1 concern is their stockholders not their customers. If you think that's "wrong" then screw it. Just cancel! Guys lets give up, the truecar bashing is getting pretty old!