• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Pay for Internet Sales Manager/Director

Perhaps people could list key points of their job descriptions as well and we could get a sense for what ISM's do, on average?

-Make sure all Internet-source leads are responded to in under 10 minutes
-Make sure all inventory is pulling and pushing to all sites
-Make sure all comments are pushing
-ROI on all lead providors
-Update website, specials / build new pages as needed
-Facebook (and linked Twitter) pages
-All vehicle photos
-IT issues that come up
-Keeping up-to-date on best practices from SEO/SEM to how to handle phoneups/emails/in-store customers (obviously DR helps a lot here)
-Craigslist posting
-Parts posting to eBay
-Non-internet related advertising management
-Lead reports (#/appointment/sold) for all lead sources

I'm sure there's more..

Alex,

Another cool feature to this would be to list out ALL the tasks that connect to the position. (Maybe a wiki down the road??) A GM has NO IDEA all the things we do all day and all night long. Hell, at the end of the day, I OFTEN HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO THE LAST 10 HOURS. Many of the tasks are done after hours (nights and days off)

Hmmm... break it into classes. In each class, there is the manager/directors role and there is the sales reps daily roles.

Off the top of my head:

• CRM
    • Execute calls/emails/ letters
    • Review and improve Schedules
    • Review and improve Templates
  • Web Inventory
    • Inventory Accuracy (auditing)
    • Inventory Exporting
    • photography
    • video
    • options collection
      • options auditing
    • Comment Generation
    • (link to 3rd Party Classified ad Merchandising)
  • Main Web Site
    • Analytics Review
    • Specials Maintenance
    • Coupons Maintenance
  • Search Marketing
    • SEO (Organic)
    • SEO (Local)
    • PPC
    • Banner Ads
  • Micro Sites
  • Social Media
  • 3rd Party Classified ad Merchandising
    • AT
    • Cars.com
    • Ebay/Ebay Local
    • CraigsList
    • Free Classified Sites
    • Local TV/Newspaper Classified site(s)
  • Email
    • Autoresponders
    • Email Marketing
    • CRM email markeing (link to CRM)
  • IT Work
    • I always wanted to say: "Because your too lazy to learn yourself, I get to blow an hour that I don't have so you can go back to surfing for Mafia friends to beef up your BS FB friend counts... grrr"

I ripped that off in 5 minutes. How scary would that look if we pooled all the tasks into a wiki. gulp. My head hurts.

-Make sure all Internet-source leads are responded to in under 10 minutes
-Make sure all inventory is pulling and pushing to all sites
-Make sure all comments are pushing
-ROI on all lead providors
-Update website, specials / build new pages as needed
-Facebook (and linked Twitter) pages
-All vehicle photos
-IT issues that come up
-Keeping up-to-date on best practices from SEO/SEM to how to handle phoneups/emails/in-store customers (obviously DR helps a lot here)
-Craigslist posting
-Parts posting to eBay
-Non-internet related advertising management
-Lead reports (#/appointment/sold) for all lead sources

I'm sure there's more..

Last edited:
I love this one
part time IT Manager

Glad to know I am not the only one that among being one of the most busy people in the dealership, I am also expected to do IT.

I recently had a small meltdown with another employee over constant calls about IT. I belted out that this is not my job. I then realized she actually thought that IT was my job. I was both mad, hurt and I just didn't know what to say.

We should take more credit for all we do. :hello:

Would be nice to see at least 100 people vote on this... Come on guys ... "1008 Forum members":thumbup:

We may be able to give this poll more of a boost in responses soon. So far, it is safe to say that the average is definitely $100,000 plus. I'm thinking this is something we should do every year after tax time and probably need to break it out into a few different jobs:

1. Internet Sales Agent .....equivalent to a sales person
2. Internet Sales Manager ......equivalent to a sales manager
3. Internet Sales Director/eCommerce Director ......equivalent to a GM or higher

Reactions: 1 person
Hello folks...I'm new here, but thought I'd weigh in on this, as (I think) I am underpaid. I had been making $500/week salary, plus $25-a-car spiff for each iLead that delivers...hovering around 20 cars a month. I've been on the job for less than a year. The owner of the store recently eliminated my commissions and instead, kicked-in an additional $300/mo. (brining my salary to $2300/mo), plus I inherited the EXCELL Facilitator duties. Times are tough...your thoughts?

Reactions: 1 person