• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Pay for Internet Sales Manager/Director

Hello folks...I'm new here, but thought I'd weigh in on this, as (I think) I am underpaid. I had been making $500/week salary, plus $25-a-car spiff for each iLead that delivers...hovering around 20 cars a month. I've been on the job for less than a year. The owner of the store recently eliminated my commissions and instead, kicked-in an additional $300/mo. (brining my salary to $2300/mo), plus I inherited the EXCELL Facilitator duties. Times are tough...your thoughts?

That means you're making $27,600 a year. What can you gather about that from this thread (the poll) alone?

That means you're making $27,600 a year. What can you gather about that from this thread (the poll) alone?

At cursory glance it would appear that I am in the bottom 99th percentile of salary range among my peers...as I suspected, grossly underpaid. My duties inclue:

Internet Manager Responsibilities:

· Management of internet sales prospects and lead providers
· Prepare departmental reports and manage prospecting for new avenues of E-commerce
· Website and social media content development, design, layout and management
· Development editing proofreading, execution and follow-up of Internet-based advertising campaigns
· Utilize associated word-processing, graphics and information management tools
· Ensure a seamless and interactive customer experience at Peninsula Honda
· Developing and implementing customer interactive strategies through multiple communication channels, web-based media content and social marketing media, with a focus on quantitative targets based on consumer research, market analysis and competitive benchmarking
· Coordinate closely with the Business Development Manager and the Sales groups to plan and execute site content, including featured products, promotions, advertising, information, inventory, advertising campaign management, email response and Search Engine Optimization (SEO)

EXCELL Facilitator Responsibilities:

As the dealership’s EXCELL (Exceeding Customer Expectation Levels for Life) Facilitator, it is my aim to heighten awareness and organizational effectiveness in the area of customer satisfaction. My role is the focal point to bring about complete customer satisfaction as measured by Sales and Service survey scores, as well as general customer observations. I plan, conduct, and monitor relevant processes to either prevent or resolve problems based on the dealership's policy and relationship with the customer. My duties include:

· Monitor and direct a problem-solving process to resolve problems and correct dealership systems
· Plan and conduct weekly and monthly business improvement or process redesign meetings that involve team members in discussion and actions plan to address root cause issues
· Develop, implement, and monitor strategies to enable managers to use all customer satisfaction reports and other analysis data to bring about change
· Implement and monitor CIP initiatives that are appropriate to the dealership's needs and resources
· Record, monitor, and inform team members on progress related to Opportunity Bulletins, the dealership's CIP plan, and any open action plans
· Describe remedies available to customers to resolve problems with the dealer or their vehicles and the procedure for handling difficult customers
· Provide data and participate in setting Customer Satisfaction Index goals that meet SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time Specific) criteria
· Plan, organize, and conduct customer focus groups that determine customer expectations in relation to a designated part of the dealership experience

I also have a Master's Degree in Public Administration (2010, Old Dominion University in Norfolk, VA) with a GPA of 3.7...anyone hiring???

Joe, unless you have really bad work habits, one would guess you're underpaid.

I wish I had a spot for you!

Thanks! I actually log 45 hours-a-week in the dealership and another 5-10 hours a week remotely from home...I'm dedicated & motivated...I come in early, stay focused, work my tail off, and I don't get sick! I live in Smithfield, VA, but am willing to travel any reasonable distance within the Tidewater area...even greater Richmond would be do-able under the right circumstances. I love the job, the people & the dealership I work for, but have a family to support...have laptop, will travel...

Joe, you could take a job selling as a floor rep and easily double what you're making now. With some skills 100K is not out of the question.
Thanks, that is encouraging. I do have a standing offer to move onto the sales floor, but am hesitant because I have no experience. Our sales team isn't exactly selling like gangbusters these days either $50k might be reachable, but $100k...not sure... There are some of our sales personnel who have been here long term and are successful...still others are here to day & gone tomorrow. I will stay open to the idea & pursue my salesperson's license here in VA...if nothing else, to gain some more knowledge & add another tool to my tool belt.

• Handling online advertising
  • Manage the dealership website(s)
  • Coordinate E-newsletter & email campaigns (trying to convince the SM that spamming our client base with an "E-Blast" is a bad move
  • Social networking
  • reputation management (explaining to managers not to respond in negative ways to negative reviews
  • work with both sales and fixed ops to expand their use of digital medium
  • train and manage our BDC
  • basically act as the in house IT guy when he is away
  • handle 20-25% of our finance TOs when our Finance manager is off (seems more people do this that I thought)
  • Try to convince older management that the internet really does exist (I still have one person using dial up at home - other just want to ignore it because it will go away)
  • and the list could go on….

Was just looking to see what other people make.

Basically was hired 3 months ago as an Internet Lead Coordinator. We use Elead around 600 ups a month. There were two sales people that handled them beginning to end and did on average less than twenty cars a month before I got there. They hired me and I began vetting everything making contact with each and everyone of the almost 700 leads a month. I make $10/hr. 40 HRS a week with no chance at overtime. $9 an appointment. $12/car sold. I typically have 30 appointments show a month with 30-50% that actually buy. Which puts me at less than $22K take home. We have one other guy that doesn't do anything but handle taking the photos of the inventory and making sure they are posted. And he makes around $30K take home.

On top of this. I have been asked on numerous occasions to work not only my own leads from beginning to end but walk ins from beginning to end with no extra compensation offered on top of that.

We ran into a problem where people were working leads when they werent supposed to be stealing other peoples ups because we had sales people working the leads instead of ISM's just trying to get people in the store. My GM then basically proposed to shut down the internet department all together and start handing out leads to everyone essentially eliminating my department. In a panic I went home and spent the entire night putting together a proposal to turn things around.

Proposition in hand I presented was given approval and now have not been able to get anyone to move on it but still am berated by complaints from my managers about our closing ratios(even though like i said earlier the number of appointments and cars sold has doubled).

Any ideas thoughts? Am i wrong for thinking I'm grossly underpaid?

Hello Everyone. It has been a while since I first started posting.

I have been working for the last few months as the ISM for a dealership in TN. I handle most of the same things that other have described from Social Media, Website, SEO, Inventory, etc. I do not do any direct selling, I pass the leads to a dedicated ISS. I also do backup F&I for the dealership as well and run the desk from time to time. And handle the overall IT and some of the general marketing for the dealership (i.e. print).

As for compensation this is what it is currently.

$500/week draw.
$25/unit sold across the whole dealership
$100/Internet Lead Sold

At 100 cars per month (with 25% of those as Internet Deals) I would make $5K including the draw.

Plus I get paid on any products I sell when doing F&I.

I would like to get feedback from others to see if this sounds low, high, good, bad or whatever. Since I am new to the automotive dealership world I want to get your feedback.