• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Pay for Internet Sales Manager/Director

Sales is one of the highest paying careers. No matter what you are selling, the there is a decent pay plan around commission - you can make some money!

But you have to commit to the art of selling and take your job/career serious. Too many people get into this business as a job to pass the time by until something "better" comes along. It doesn't matter if your selling houses, cars, insurance, burial lots - it's sales. Commit!

So true Jeff!

If you're not making a six figure income in this profession, it's because you're not trying hard enough.

Well let's not go bananas.... you can make an excellent living, yes. But in these days of shrinking margins, lower grosses, "streamlined" (read: cost cuts), etc., the 6-figure guys are fewer and farther between. Just like everything else in this business, it's not 10 years ago -- pay plans are different too.

So true Jeff!

If you're not making a six figure income in this profession, it's because you're not trying hard enough.

You have to get with a good organization. I can think of a couple of the major automotive groups that don't believe their top salespeople should make over $50K. I've heard GMs say it. They don't pay well and treat their salespeople poorly. Salemen will prove themselves and move on to an organization that appreciates them.

You have to get with a good organization. I can think of a couple of the major automotive groups that don't believe their top salespeople should make over $50K. I've heard GMs say it. They don't pay well and treat their salespeople poorly. Salemen will prove themselves and move on to an organization that appreciates them.

This.

With my first dealership I sold 24 cars in a month and made $4500. I thought I was living large. I was 19 and didn't know any better.

This march I sold 28 cars at my current dealership and I earned 18k. Now granted I'm a better salesmen compared to 7 years ago. But there still shouldn't be that big of a difference in pay. My first dealership treated salesmen like dirt. I should have left much sooner but I had the same problem that a lot of others have, "I like the people here." was my mindset.

There's always a store willing to pay you and "stroke your hair" as someone so elliquently put it in another thread recently. Money is a great motivator but I'd be lying if I said that I dont' enjoy a nice reach around from the boss every now and then :bow:

Reactions: 1 person
Blake, some dealerships view salespeople like a commodity. I have always believed that success depends on having quality people. I really don't think some dealership understand what high turnover cost them. A salesperson threatened to quit a dealership and his manager told him, "stick your finger in a glass of water and then pull up real fast". "See how long it takes for the hole to fill?" "...that's how long you will be missed." That actually happened and the salesperson left and became a top salesperson at another store.

One of my best friends has been Salesman of the Year for the last 5 years in a row. He easily makes six figures. He recently told me that one of his biggest motivations is to receive the award. The owner loves him but it pains some of the managers to see him get it, because he is black. He has such a following, I haven't been able to recruit him.

Blake, some dealerships view salespeople like a commodity. I have always believed that success depends on having quality people. I really don't think some dealership understand what high turnover cost them. A salesperson threatened to quit a dealership and his manager told him, "stick your finger in a glass of water and then pull up real fast". "See how long it takes for the hole to fill?" "...that's how long you will be missed." That actually happened and the salesperson left and became a top salesperson at another store.

I wish I was suprised, but I've seen things like this myself. There are managers that may have been great salesmen and got a promotion because it seemed like the next step. This is one of the most illogical "accepted practices" of the industry. Right off of the bat you lose one of your best salesmen. Plus, I'm sure we've all seen 20+ car a month salesmen be the worst managers. We have all also seen managers who probably couldn't sell 10 cars a month on the floor, but they are great motivators of salesmen and help the dealership increase gross and sell alot more cars. Being a good salesmen does not equal being a good manager.

One of my best friends has been Salesman of the Year for the last 5 years in a row. He easily makes six figures. He recently told me that one of his biggest motivations is to receive the award. The owner loves him but it pains some of the managers to see him get it, because he is black. He has such a following, I haven't been able to recruit him.

That is preposterous, how do they keep their jobs?

I wish I was suprised, but I've seen things like this myself. There are managers that may have been great salesmen and got a promotion because it seemed like the next step. This is one of the most illogical "accepted practices" of the industry. Right off of the bat you lose one of your best salesmen. Plus, I'm sure we've all seen 20+ car a month salesmen be the worst managers. We have all also seen managers who probably couldn't sell 10 cars a month on the floor, but they are great motivators of salesmen and help the dealership increase gross and sell alot more cars. Being a good salesmen does not equal being a good manager.

That is preposterous, how do they keep their jobs?

When salespeople are aware that you were a top salesperson, I think that they respect your advise. They sense when you honestly are concerned and are trying to help them. They also take notice of your dedication and work ethic.

My friend is the only black person in front end of that dealership. They have over 30 salespeople. Managers have to commit a felony, on the showroom floor, to get fired. It is that backward thinking that keeps them from having a good Internet department.

I joined simply to chime in here and do plan on participating in the forums more.

A little background. I've spent quite a bit of time in the automotive/motorcycle sector, everything from machine shops, car sales, F&I (Harley), parts, etc. I have 15 years of IT experience and have been in the oil & gas industry for much of that time.

I've always been a car guy, build, buy/sell, race, you name it.

When I sold I worked for BMW/Cadillac/Pontiac then later Land Rover. Even back in the 90's if you weren't making 100k+ then something was wrong. At one of the largest HD dealers I ran their Buell departments for both stores, went from almost dead last to the top 15 in short order, pretty much had my own parts and services departments as well with guys dedicated to me.

Fast forward to today. I'm a CTO in an energy related company with tons of management experience under my belt including setting up and running my own businesses. I've been thinking about getting back in to the car business, hence me being here.

Now I make well over 6 figures/year and my thinking is that if Internet sales represents such a large portion of the business then a real ISM (seems anyone behind a computer receives that designation here) should be making well over 100k at a larger dealership, especially if they have a sales team to lead.

If you are looking for someone that can not only fully understand selling on the Internet (SEO, Social Marketing, general web marketing, etc), knows how to motivate a sales force and actually runs a money making department for a dealership then I can't even begin to imagine not paying well over 100k with bonuses and what not.

Oh.. and the term manager should be erased from existence when leading a team, you manage things, you lead people.

So, if you want a guy that is capable of earning over 100k selling but also has the technical knowledge to effectively run an Internet operation and has the leadership capabilities to motivate a team of A type personalities then guess what, you better get ready to pay for those talents.

That position is not 9-5, it's 24/7 and needs some dedicated, out of the box type of people.

Just my opinion and worth only what you just paid for it.

Brad

Last edited: