Welcome to DealerRefresh Forums!

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking thelink above. You may have to Register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Personal facebook usage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex Snyder, Feb 18, 2011.

?

Are you using facebook as much as you used to?

1. Less than I used to

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. About the same

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. More than I used to

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Company:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter:
    axsnyder
    I realized that I'm logging into facebook every couple of days instead of a few times a day. In speaking with Jeff he said his facebook usage has also dwindled. Are you still using facebook like you used to?

I'm not talking about business. I'm asking about YOUR personal usage.
  2. Regal_Car_Sales

Regal_Car_Sales Noob

First Name:
    Chris
    Company:
    Regal Car Sales and Credit
    Twitter:
    regal_car_sales
    I channel leads to my business page through my personal page. So, yes I use my personal page a lot.
  3. Patrick80639

Patrick80639 Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Patrick
    Company:
    vtaig
    My usage has dropped down to weekly. I only have a couple friends that post updates on a daily basis as well. I'm wondering if it's headed down the same path as myspace?
  4. JoePistell

JoePistell Super Moderator

First Name:
    Joe
    Company:
    Dealer.com
    Twitter:
    JoePistell
  5. Ryan Leslie

Ryan Leslie Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Ryan
    Company:
    DealerRater
    Twitter:
    jrleslie
    I guess I always thought that myspace fizzled in large part due to FaceBook. Has twitter replaced FB for mindshare already or is this a drop without a successor? I would also expect to see it drop during the summer just like traditional media that competes with the golf course, but we aren't there yet.

Alright Alex, why has your personal usage dropped? Other activities, lack of interest, dislike of new layout...Curious to see if you have worked out the why's and if you think others will also change their usage habits.
  6. danoneil

danoneil Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Dan
    Company:
    Dan O inc.
    My wife and teenage kids (17 & 19) are all over Facebook. I would say 2 to 3 hours (maybe more) a day. As a man's man, I'm on it maybe for 30 minutes each day. If I was a salesperson at my dealership, without question I would use FB all the time to promote what I sell and different used car deals.

My 19 yr old daughter is away at college. My wife and I are able to get many laughs from the updates they post.
  7. danoneil

danoneil Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Dan
    Company:
    Dan O inc.
    My wife is not 17 or 19.
  8. davidmoon

davidmoon Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    David
    Company:
    Kontaroo
    I probably use it more now than I did 6 months ago. I recently got interested in genealogy on my father's side (which I knew very little about,) and tracked down a line of cousins on Facebook that I didn't know about.

Most of my usage is personal, but I do follow a lot of local business, and people I've know in through my career.
  9. davidmoon

davidmoon Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    David
    Company:
    Kontaroo
    Twitter users just don't stick like with Facebook.
  10. Jeff Kershner

Jeff Kershner Founder Staff Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Company:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter:
    dealerrefresh
    Unless I have something truly compelling to say or post, I'm usually too busy to "facebook". I jump in there from time to time and I have a few friends that are so into it that it's the only way I know what's going on with them.

I get it, I know why people are on it but for me it's mostly a time suck. PLUS - most people post the dumbest shit over and over (i've done it!) . I think I have too many friends and need to go thru and start cutting back.

For me, Twitter has become my source of content - mostly industry content and connections but that's more important and engaging to me than someone having a peanut better and jelly sandwich for lunch and then thanked the good lord for the wonderful food they are about to eat.

OMG - stay home moms have to be the most facebook obsessed group of all. Great avenue for marketing tho!

Social as we know it today will be different in the years to come. Most people do NOT know how to be social, at least not in an engaging way. Yawwwnnn

I predicted and still predict that we eventually get tired of being so damn social - I could be wrong and most likely I am but once the cool factor wears off and people are tired of being "popular" - social will start to segment and move into a different direction. Say - 5 years from now...
  11. Ed Brooks

Ed Brooks Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Ed
    Company:
    vAuto - 402.427.0157
    Twitter:
    VelocitySales
    Every time I read this I'm tempted to reply "Better luck next wife!" but I know that would be wrong! ;)
  12. Walt Kustra

Walt Kustra Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Walt
    Company:
    Preston Auto Group
    Twitter:
    WaltKustra
    "For me, Twitter has become my source of content - mostly industry content and connections but that's more important and engaging to me than someone having a peanut better and jelly sandwich for lunch"

Isn't this the truth. I feel the same way you do Jeff. I spend most of my "social" time reading things that interest me professionally. Twitter has been a great source for me to meet and learn from some great people in our business. I find that facebook on the other hand has more pictures of my brothers frat parties!
  13. Andrew Ward

Andrew Ward Noob

First Name:
    Andrew
    Company:
    Trust FX
    Jeff hit the nail on the head. "Stay at home moms" are totally facebook obsessed. Find a way to connect with them and you are reaching an very influenced group.
  14. JohnScott

JohnScott Refresher

First Name:
    ME inc
    Company:
    Mile One
    Farmville.

Spoke with a friend today who works at http://www.bluenoodle.com/advertisers/ formerly neoedge. Some interesting numbers.

Over 70% of casual gamers are female, aged 25-54.

I learned a new word today, "GAMIFY", as in to gamify an ad, make it fun.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011