• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Alexander Lau

Banned
Feb 11, 2015
First Name
Alex
http://advanced-television.com/2017/04/25/channel-4-audio-personalised-tv-ads-first/

UK commercial public service broadcaster Channel 4 has unveiled an interactive VoD format that enables advertisers to incorporate the individual names of viewers of its All 4 catch-up service into the audio of their adverts for the first time.

How long before this occurs with personalized, retargeted, automotive TV ads?

Addressable television?

Last edited:
Reactions: CraigB
Interesting, considering that Europe tends to me much more protective of its citizen's privacy (see the Right to Be Forgotten ruling that allows people to request Google remove unwanted, personal results from the SERP). I don't know about you, but seeing or hearing a tv/internet ad that addressed me by name would feel like an intrusion upon my privacy (but maybe I'm the outlier here).

All that being said, pretty soon ISP's will be able to sell its users data directly (without your permission). Something they haven't been able to do previously. So this could very well be the first step in what you describe above.

I honestly believe that traditional broadcast and cable TV is dying. On-demand programming, though cable providers and services like PlayStation Vue, Apple TV, etc., are the future. Using data to unify your virtual persona will drive more personalized marketing.

As Jason mentioned, your ISP will be selling all of your user data in the coming years - hopefully with some level of anonymization.

Reactions: Alexander Lau