• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Pictures/labels

We are throwing around the idea of doing in house pictures and labeling. Who does this and is there any advice to be given?
Thanks....Julie

Julie,

I'm shocked that no one has responded to your request for assistance with all the nationwide Full-Serve and DIY Companies that read this Forum.

Well, I'm a small photo/data collection company and my idea is to look at who you currently do Full-Serve business with. Most Full-Serve Data Collection Companies offer a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) program and that's where I would start. This company already has your current inventory, existing data exports, maybe DMS integration, a photo overlay, and more and using them will most likely cause you no "extreme" changes that may prove to be your downfall and if you decide DIY isn't for you, you can have the Full-Serve service back in your store in no time, so it's a win-win for you. Simply request a meeting with the local manager and explain how you are ready and able to take on the responsibilities of collecting your own photos and printing your own window stickers. They might fuss and explain how you are not going to succeed, but most likely they will be very happy to retain you as a DIY customer knowing they will get the first call if your DIY program fails. Plus, the current company will most likely offer to sell you the window stickers they are currently using so the lot looks inform. This idea is the easiest and allows you to pick up the ball and start running very quickly and it has safety measures built in.

You'll need to have a camera, laser printer, window stickers, paper buyer's guides, and a very responsible individual ready to go. Remember, this person is responsible for your whole online present and all the money that goes along with that. Crappy photos or incorrect/missing vehicle options will cause you nightmares and business.

In the future, there are many DIY companies out there; such as vAuto, HomeNet Automotive, VINSolutions, CDM Data, Dealer Specialties, AutoUplink, CarsforSale.com, CarGigi, and many many more. You many want to cross reference your current vendors to see who might offer a DIY solution. For example, if you have vAuto, they have a DIY program that works very easy. You could ask them for a product demo and see if it performs better than what you have. There ARE differences between the companies.

Good Luck!

Julie,
Currently we do our pictures in house and its not too much of a burden once everyone knows their role in the game. We have our lot guys park the vehicles in a specific area of the campus and shoot a picture of the window stock sticker, then get 5 or 6 exterior shots and 2 interior shots. They are always supposed to hit the same areas around the vehicle so the pictures are consistent. Then at the end of the day they bring the camera to our inventory clerk and based on the first picture she labels the pictures correctly STOCK_01.JPG...(get with your web hosting provider on the correct scheme). We then use a program to auto resize the pictures and throw our logo, web address, phone numbers, and save them to a server (RealWorld Photos - losslessly retouch and batch watermark pictures). Then once a week we upload them to our site and the pics are live.
Mind you we are a large dealership so many of the steps that multiple people are doing could be handled by fewer or just one if needed. The key is to make sure everyone involved has some clear instructions and knows exactly what is expected. Good luck!

Julie,

I think a proper image inventory is needed if you are going to help the consumer make a decision to contact the dealership or not. I would say that having a team or processes in place to take photos after the detailing is complete will help everyone stay on topic.

We are using Dealer Specialties right now.

Like I said above, Dealer Specialties has a DIY program. Look here:
http://www.drivedominion.com/public/files/PS-NEW_Inventory_Solution.pdf

If you stay with DS, you can retain your data exports, keep your photo overlay, continue with the same window stickers, if you have DMS integration it will continue to load or delete sold units, and always have the fall back plan to request that DS come back to your store and take the photos again if you're unsuccessful. It's a win-win.

Good Luck.

Reactions: 1 person
I saw this today at a DIY Dealership....

Window Sticker.jpg

This is a good example of how to do it wrong. It's all about selecting the correct vehicle style and then selecting or deselecting options for the vehicle. This Nissan Titan was a stripped down base model truck but the window sticker was based on a loaded Titan, so the dealership employee blacked out the equipment that the truck didn't have. Such as the Heated Seats, Power Seats, Power Adjustable Pedals, Power Door Locks, Windows, and Mirrors, and a lot more options. And to bring this full circle, AutoTrader.com has the options that are blacked out on the window sticker as available on this truck, so what now? There's going to be some issues when that customer drives 2 hours to buy that truck with that equipment and if they buy it, maybe a bad review is coming?

Julie, what other digital tools do you have available? Do you use first look or vAuto for pricing? Who does your website? All of these vendors should have a hosting and window sticker printing option or partner to make moving in-house simple.