• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Pirates Amongst Us!

Apr 28, 2009
First Name
Jerry
Imagine you work hard 5 years building a brand and then all of a sudden another company decides they to want to promote their product using your brands image? Imagine if Progressive insurance started running commercials with Gecko's, what would you think of them?

Well folks, that's what's happening to Phone Ninjas. The not so creative unethical people at CallSource have decided they would like to portray their company as providing Phone Ninja training as seen in this advertisement on their website?

http://www.callsource.com/training-preview
Call Source.png
After 2014 NADA they approached me about offering Phone Ninjas as a solution to their customers. I gave them a couple demo's of our software. They wanted me to do a exclusive deal with them which I would not do since Phone Ninjas is a vendor neutral company. I don't mind that they created their own version of my product, what I do mind is them using a Ninja to promote it. A lot of dealers have heard of Phone Ninjas and this might lead them to think Call Source created the Phone Ninjas program -- WHICH THEY DID NOT! And I wonder how NADA will feel about them using their seal?

What do my friends at Dealer Refresh think?

Last edited:
Our entire industry is simply replicating (copying) what everyone else does.

We all go file into these conventions and listen to the same speakers that teach the same principles.

We all get the same calls from the same vendors selling all of us the same product.

We all jump on the same bandwagon until it gets so crowded that it isn't any fun to be there anymore.

A truly original idea only gets to be different until someone figures out how to replicate it.

I am sorry that this has happened to your business. To me, it completely sucks and I for one will never do business with Call Source based upon this one post. Their copycat ad PROVES that they are not capable of competing with you.

Reactions: Jerry Thibeau
This has happened to me on different levels throughout the years. I try to remind myself that it's the best form of flattery, BUT ultimately this isn't how I prefer to be flattered.

Maybe they're thinking it's okay since nowhere within the ad do they use the word "Ninja" and are only using the image of one. Why use the image of the ninja other than to try and capitalize on your existing "PhoneNinja" branding and awareness? Good question.

One could argue that anyone can use the image of a Ninja. However, it leans heavily towards the cartoonish look and closely resembles PhoneNinjas. Even with all that, I would try to overlook it and move on...

..UNTIL you mentioned that you recently had a meeting with them and even performed a few demos for them. That made it PERSONAL.

I can relate @Jerry Thibeau and know exactly how you feel. I don't know what kind of communication you've had with Call Source since this happened, but before taking it too personal and allowing it to consume you, give them a call. Get the person that you need to speak with on the phone and have a professional conversation. You may (not totally impossible) even be surprised to find that the thought-to-be decision maker is unaware, or approved it while in the middle of 20 other things happening around them and never stopped to think about how the ad could be crossing boundaries. Do your due diligence and take the utmost approach to rectifying the situation.

I'm fresh off of being a 3rd party to a situation must like this... no matter what - be the professional one. It's goes a long way.

Reactions: Jerry Thibeau
before taking it too personal and allowing it to consume you, give them a call. Get the person that you need to speak with on the phone and have a professional conversation.

Gave it to my attorney to handle. He's sent them a letter.

Oh and I'll be hitting them where it hurts. In the process of coming out with a call tracking solution targeting their customers. Going to be half price time for Call Source clients. No my core business, but it's now on my radar and I plan to be diligent! You don't mess with Phone Ninjas and not come out unscathed!