• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Poll: Let's Talk Inventory Photos

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
How much does your store(s) pay for photos? I am interested in price paid per car.

If you're pic takers are in-house, divide total cost by # of cars sold.

(if you're just shooting used cars, then divide cost by # of used cars sold)

Last edited:
If you have an in-house crew, think of how many people are in the digital inventory prep workflow.

There is running to get (& return) the cars, option data collection, photography and uploading. If you have a one man show Photography typically takes longer than data collection. Think 2/3rd's time is photography, 1/3 data collection*.

*Data collection is done where ever the car is. Photography requires you to shuttle the car to the area.

Usually between $15 and $18 per car is what I see.
90% of the stores only do Used Photos and 10% of the stores do New and Used.
New Photos make a world of difference in the analytics for time on site, number of vehicles viewed, etc - once users see the New photos aren't stock photos they tend to look at more vehicles in the same category (ie: Ford F-150 XLTs - only difference is colour).

1 photographer handles 3 stores.

Reactions: joe.pistell
Joe, I think there is much more than the price.
How many pictures are they taking for new and used? Enough to sell the product?
Are the shooting inside or out? It is time consuming getting a vehicle inside but you have the light.
If they are shooting outside, are they moving the car to optimal light or facing it into the sun and shooting around it?
Do they edit the pictures before putting them online or as they are?

How many pictures are they taking for new and used? Enough to sell the product?
25-40 photos / vehicle. At one point I had a client doing 60+ per car.

Are the shooting inside or out?
Outdoor only. Don't have photo booths yet, but there was a sweet one at Digital Dealer this year.

If they are shooting outside, are they moving the car to optimal light or facing it into the sun and shooting around it?
Shoot around it, but always staying conscious of the sun.

Do they edit the pictures before putting them online or as they are?
Never edit the photos. Signs of editing create mistrust in the photos. We take a photo of every square inch of the car to create trust and to educate the purchase decision.