• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

Nick, certainly no argument there, mobile options are a must.

However, going back to the "path of least resistance" argument, deciding between a Big Green Button or the option to add a QR is kinda a no-brainer, don't you think?

Click a button on the screen you're viewing, or queue-up an app on your phone and take a picture of your monitor.

Honestly now, what would you do?

Nick, certainly no argument there, mobile options are a must.

However, going back to the "path of least resistance" argument, deciding between a Big Green Button or the option to add a QR is kinda a no-brainer, don't you think?

Click a button on the screen you're viewing, or queue-up an app on your phone and take a picture of your monitor.

Honestly now, what would you do?

Not sure if this will show, my last post is still waiting for the moderator to approve it. But I agree, send to phone is awesome, if your site has it. It's just that not all sites do, so by adding a qr code to your photo feed you insure that wherever your inventory is online the shopper has an "easy"(debatable) way to transfer the car to their phone.

Truth is, dont we all wish QR codes were the next big thing? Dont we wish all people understood QR codes? Dont we wish the mobile Operating Systems would deep bake the QR reader into thier OS so scanning a QR code was only 1 click of an external button or from the home screen? QR has received littlevsupport from the big players. It's only been driven by the agencies. Google dropped it after a few shorts months on their places page. Microsoft took the typical approach an re-created the wheel with the ever failing "tag". What a f'n mess this has turned out to be.

Reactions: 1 person
I just came across some QR codes.

Searching real-estate listings in the newspaper, a couple of the companies/agencies listed QR's with their listings. Looked mostly like send-to-mobile options, but I admit, I did not scan any. I looked-up their websites to check their listings.

I just came across some QR codes.
Searching real-estate listings in the newspaper, a couple of the companies/agencies listed QR's with their listings. Looked mostly like send-to-mobile options, but I admit, I did not scan any. I looked-up their websites to check their listings.

My Vote: QR Codes are In (usage is increasing and in a competitive industry where QR codes r becoming commonplace can you afford not to meet your customers' expectations?)

So it depends on what your customer wants and expects their dealer to provide. Are your customers asking about why you don’t have QR codes (right there at the floor in your dealership or in your social media channels?) Are your sales rep asking for QR codes to help them sell?

QR codes is not ‘the next big thing’ but is part of the next big thing which is ‘mobile marketing’ integrated with a dealership’s overall marketing strategy.

My personal take on this is why not have a url and a QR Code both on the flyer or window sticker so you can cater to both buyers who scan and not scan. Especially at this time, when every sale is important and many dealerships are using it and more and more people are becoming more comfortable with QR codes and are starting to expect it as part of their car shopping experience.

Why? Some customers have already found out that it’s easier to store the info of vehicle they’ve seen and dealership contact info in their smart phones using QR codes. Some find it a faster way to send a link to page to a family or friend. And as you would find people who just dislike QR codes at first glance, some customers dislike typing urls in their smartphones because they often get it wrong and need a couple of tries to do it right.

But at the end, it’s really up to the business person whether he or she wants to stay ahead of the game, be in the game, or skip a technology until a perfect technology comes along. After all, it is his business.

*Not convinced about QR Codes? Custom mobile websites is a good start: http://goo.gl/LlFVC

Are your customers asking about why you don’t have QR codes (right there at the floor in your dealership or in your social media channels?) Are your sales rep asking for QR codes to help them sell?

The answer is a RESOUNDING "NO!!"

In our vertical, customers are not scanning QR codes. You've heard that from me. You've heard that from Uncle Joe.

Us marketers keep using them because they are free, and the argument is really over whether they are "cool" or not.

So really, if theres' going to be an intelligent argument for keeping them, then we have to get beyond this mamby-pamby argument about being "progressive" and that bullshit.

Are the customers scanning the friggin things or not? We need data here. Nick says they are on every Ford truck. There are Ford dealers here. Are customers scanning the QR codes? And if so, does it help anything?

Let's get beyond the vendor sentiment and get some facts. If there are any.

Because, I'll ask this for the umpteenth time: If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound??

Post them all you want!! Who is scanning them? Where are the facts?

I am getting the impression that the controversy is really centered around if it makes sense to put QR codes on cars and walls and expect random people to scan them. Based on this entire thread there are a few people that have mentioned some mild success doing this, but for the most part people don't scan them. Might I suggest "definition of insanity". Try something else.

QR codes are not a magic bullet that will double your revenues over night. It is just a tool that when used with other tools has the ability to solve problems and create value.

As @ JQuinn mentioned people are going to take the path of least resistance. QR codes when used properly can be a path of least resistance.

How about auto populating forms with client information to save them time. e.g. During vehicle delivery (or service) put a qr sticker on the inside top left windshield. When scanned it populates their information in a schedule oil change form so all they have to do is pick a service date and click send. When do you think about changing your oil? Ever time you get in your car and see the mileage sticker. With a QR code there that is THE path of least resistance oil change appointments would probable go up.

Yago - I can see how Cars.com would take a stance on this. It does come across as more of an ad for your service. Heck - It's basically breaking our own DealerRefresh rules for self promoting and advertising within the forums.

I know you like to use examples of what you do for other dealers but it's always bordering breaking the rules. You might want to give this some more thought.

Jeff,

Yes, some things are hard to show without looking like an "intent" for a sale.

The QR Code main "advertisement" comes from carcode.me which is the company providing the mobile solution (not us) and they felt that the mobile reference would make this more attractive to the customer and not look just like a gimmick.

I wouldn't expect anyone to switch from homement for example to my system just because we can generate a unique QR Code, I'm sure that homenet--again as an example--can put some brain power together and do the same thing.

As far as Cars.com goes, and thanks to Nick Hummer for joining, I understand all positions. The QR code may take leads from cars.com, but isn't the dealer able to out whatever phone number, email, etc that they want to use? I do see the reference to Carcode.me as an issue since it is another ad site in the end (even thought they don't sell placement advertisement). I will see if I can remove that without creating too much grief from their end.

How about auto populating forms with client information to save them time. e.g. During vehicle delivery (or service) put a qr sticker on the inside top left windshield. When scanned it populates their information in a schedule oil change form so all they have to do is pick a service date and click send. When do you think about changing your oil? Ever time you get in your car and see the mileage sticker. With a QR code there that is THE path of least resistance oil change appointments would probable go up.

Outside the box. I like it. In conjunction with an app on your phone that adds the appointment to your calendar. I like it a lot. Most cars are going to tell you when you need service. Until they are actually setting the appointment too, if it could work, could be good Service marketing.

Nice!