• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

Ed, I read DR on my phone. Guess I have to borrow a phone with a scanner to see what you mean??

What about people who are not like you? Sometimes we are not our target market or client. And there is an increasing number of people who have already downloaded Qr code scanners to take advantage of digital coupons and other incentives given by business establishments in various industries (retail, hotels, airline and etc.).

A report by just one of the QR code reader providers (Scanlife) says, Through September, we’ve seen over 20 million scans, representing a 400% increase from 2010 during the same time period.

But like what others have said already, QR codes are more suitable to some dealerships. Others have mentioned Honda, Ford, Benz, Porsche dealers as being interested in using or just trying out QR codes for their print advertising or event ads.

It's more popular use is tying it to an online video showing the buyer the 'car's top features and it's driving experience' and giving the prospect an easy way to sign-up for the test drive, call, or set-up an appointment. If you are already buying expensive print ads in your local paper, why not just add a QR code?

Based on Comscore report, people more likely to scan are Male : 60.5%, and people who are ages: 25-34 (36.8%) & Ages: 35-44 (19.6%). QR codes placed in Printed magazine or newspaper are more likely to be scanned: 49.4%.

*I'm not here to convince people who have already made-up their minds about QR codes. I just wanted to add this post for business people (especially those who are selling higher end models) who are still weighing in whether to try QR codes or not.

Being in business, we all know that we need to follow 'our gut' (not other people's opinion or vendor sales talk)---and in case you have decided you want to expand your 'mobile marketing' based on your budget, pls. send us an e-mail at c.macaisa(at)hipscan(dot)com.

QR code is just one mobile marketing engagement tool, let's talk about mobile marketing!

An example of a Honda dealer experimenting with QR codes: Steve Camp's ADM Blog - Automotive Digital Marketing Professional Community
An example of a Honda dealer being aggressive with his mobile campaign: Car dealership boosts social media engagement with mobile bar codes, SMS - Mobile Commerce - Messaging

It's really this simple.

Best Buy vs Ralph's Hardware
  1. Which store will have a higher QR code usage?
  2. Why does one store have a higher QR usage?
Product Complexity?
--NOT. Ralph sure could use QR links to DIY videos

Product Mix?
--YES. Where else would QR codes work than in a technology store.

Store Demographics?
--YES. Ralphs is skewed over 45, BBY is skewed under 45.

The QR code's ROI doesn't matter if your dealer profile is progressive. The decision maker would say: "QR codes fit's what we're doin and where we're goin'..."

THAT BEING SAID...
if you dink around with QR codes, but your comments are hit or miss, you have no videos, your pictures are fair, and the new guy in cleanup records your options, then you might have overlooked THINGS THAT SELL CARS.

Just sayin'

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
QR/Text To Chat

I have followed this thread and I would like to share an idea with you. What about scan to chat? Scan to text? We are in beta right now for a text to chat and a QR to text (dealer) feature. Basically the dealer can chat with consumers from their Contact At Once chat solution with someone from a mobile device. This is individual sales person to shopper. As for me, I don't want a mass text from a dealer....ever! But if while I was in the shopping process and I was working with a dealer and they asked if they could text correspondence to me, I would say yes.

What about "Scan Here To Chat" or "Scan Here To Text"? It is a call to action but at least when you scan it there is action. Imagine someone reading the paper (I know its hard) and they see an add. In the add it says "Scan Here To Chat With Sales".

Read about it....Contact At Once! Announces SMS Text Feature To Improve Response Rates for Automotive Advertising « ContactAtOnce

Re: QR/Text To Chat

I have followed this thread and I would like to share an idea with you. What about scan to chat? Scan to text? We are in beta right now for a text to chat and a QR to text (dealer) feature. Basically the dealer can chat with consumers from their Contact At Once chat solution with someone from a mobile device. This is individual sales person to shopper. As for me, I don't want a mass text from a dealer....ever! But if while I was in the shopping process and I was working with a dealer and they asked if they could text correspondence to me, I would say yes.

What about "Scan Here To Chat" or "Scan Here To Text"? It is a call to action but at least when you scan it there is action. Imagine someone reading the paper (I know its hard) and they see an add. In the add it says "Scan Here To Chat With Sales".

Read about it....Contact At Once! Announces SMS Text Feature To Improve Response Rates for Automotive Advertising « ContactAtOnce

Ryan,

You are on it, a great thing about QR Codes is their flexibility and low ammount of $$$ to implement.

We are playing with a a small window label--kind of the size of an ademdum sticker--with a QR Code for a new car that will allow the customer to check all the rebates on specific inventory while walking the lot.

Will that work? I don't know, but to a dealer selling 50 cars we will charge for the QR Code, the stickers, etc everything done, about $75/month. There is almost nothing else a dealer could do or test for $75 to try to engaje customers.

NOTE TO JEFF: I'm not selling anything here, we can only do these labels for dealers that we physically service and that are 100% in our system but I hope the example validates my point.