• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

I picked up one of those throw free magazines while I was getting something to eat at a fast food restaurant. I noticed one of the buy here pay here ads. It had a QR "Scan with Smartphone to Apply Online".

Not a bad idea I guess. Be nice to know what they are getting from this. I'm sure the numbers are small but hey...

Since getting an iPhone, I have scanned more QR codes than every before. The App I have (QRReader) has made a perfect scan each time. So I have been scanning more and more. Not sure if its out of plain interest in the actual product or just seeing if I can the code to actually scan.

Not a bad idea I guess. Be nice to know what they are getting from this. I'm sure the numbers are small but hey...

Since getting an iPhone, I have scanned more QR codes than every before. The App I have (QRReader) has made a perfect scan each time. So I have been scanning more and more. Not sure if its out of plain interest in the actual product or just seeing if I can the code to actually scan.

They were the only ones using it. Those weekly throw-away papers are cheap. That company has four lots in the metroplex. It was a nice looking layout.

For marketing I see QR codes more of a "long tail" tool. With some focus on grabbing the attention of the target audience (headlines) and a well laid out landing page, the conversion could be very good.

The "Scan with Smart Phone to Apply Online" is a perfect example.

This gives me an idea ;)

Look at the demographics of your client base (if you are a franchise dealer this will be readily available). Then match that to the demographic that uses QR codes the most. Put together some catchy headlines and corresponding landing pages with a specific goal in mind.

E.g. Men 35 to 45 for Ford Mustangs: Headline "Do you have what it takes to drive a one? Scan to find out" (Picture of a Mustang with model of course). QR code goes to landing page with a low payment ad and form. Just ask for Name, phone & email (KISS). I am sure there are a lot of ways to create these landing pages, but being a WordPress junkie I know that it is super easy to do using WordPress and Gravity Forms.

For marketing I see QR codes more of a "long tail" tool. With some focus on grabbing the attention of the target audience (headlines) and a well laid out landing page, the conversion could be very good.

The "Scan with Smart Phone to Apply Online" is a perfect example.

This gives me an idea ;)

Look at the demographics of your client base (if you are a franchise dealer this will be readily available). Then match that to the demographic that uses QR codes the most. Put together some catchy headlines and corresponding landing pages with a specific goal in mind.

E.g. Men 35 to 45 for Ford Mustangs: Headline "Do you have what it takes to drive a one? Scan to find out" (Picture of a Mustang with model of course). QR code goes to landing page with a low payment ad and form. Just ask for Name, phone & email (KISS). I am sure there are a lot of ways to create these landing pages, but being a WordPress junkie I know that it is super easy to do using WordPress and Gravity Forms.

Solid advise Mike. Of course knowing your demographic should apply to all marketing.

A great call to action ALWAYS makes a difference and results in driving more people to take action. It's amazing what "telling" a a consumer what to do next can have on your results.

Not sure what is going on but we have a secure mobile credit allocation with our DealerOn mobile websites and in the month of December my Nissan dealer had 3 consumers use it. I have yet to determine what "type" of consumers used the credit app but interesting to see nonetheless.

Doug - seeing what happened in December - receiving 3 mobile credit app leads had me thinking about your comment and the dealership using a QR to direct the consumer right to the credit application. The 3 we had for december, just happened. No call to action anywhere, no direct link to access. It sure has my wheel turning.

Some more thoughts around this:
What kind of consumer do you attract with a QR direct to Credit App? One would think Get Me Done.
But then how many Get Me Done consumers have a smart phone to scan the QR? (we might be surprised .. right?)

Thinking this through.

I can't understand the thinking/logic behind already being on-line and using a QR to direct traffic.

I understand that a coupla Biggie rental car agencies are going to add QR's to their rental tags and rental agreements to help market the models renters are driving. Interesting.

I still have a hard time getting past the notion the people don't want to bother scanning QR's. But that's 99% based on the fact that I don't scan them.

But I can see the future logic: I think we are probably fast approaching the time when typing a URL is "old-school."

If it's worth putting a window sticker on a car, it's worth adding the QR to the window sticker. With the constant use of pricing tools, QR codes on each car provides a current and correct price on each used vehicle and a price with incentives for new vehicles. Those folks that show up after-hours specifically to avoid sales staff will use them... or a QR in the lot so they can see your full inventory...

If it's worth putting a window sticker on a car, it's worth adding the QR to the window sticker. With the constant use of pricing tools, QR codes on each car provides a current and correct price on each used vehicle and a price with incentives for new vehicles. Those folks that show up after-hours specifically to avoid sales staff will use them... or a QR in the lot so they can see your full inventory...

Cool idea on the car lot sign to enable users to view/ and perhaps save info on car inventory for particular categories/car types they are interested in. Shared the idea on twitter.

In my opinion...QR codes will never catch on the way some vendors would like them to!

This article summarizes The QR Code Hype Cycle, where the U.S. & Europe are currently experiencing the 'frenzy of publicity' whereas Japan is already going down the hill of Disillusionment! I thought I'd drop in some interesting quotes from the article:

qr-code-hype-cycle.jpg

"You will see that QR Codes in the USA and Europe are in the ‘frenzy of publicity’ phase which is typified by over enthusiasm and unrealistic expectations. We know that they are at this stage because technology news sites like Mashable and ClickZ are publishing nonsensical QR Code statistics and crap advice on an almost daily basis. At the same time self appointed Marketing experts are falling over themselves to offer advice and instruction even though they have yet to design or manage a QR Code campaign.

The article goes on to discuss that a 2009 study from NetAsia Research found that 31.6% scan QR codes to use a coupon, 30.9% to apply for a special promotion and 22.7% to have more information on a product. The author then goes on to makes some future recommendations to overcoming some challenges presented by QR codes with the final thought "Bottom line - design your QR Code campaign carefully, provide as big a reward to the consumer as possible and even then be prepared to be underwhelmed by the response."

Greg

Reactions: 1 person