• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

Why QR codes fail? It's simple: WERE ALL BUSY.

Too much time and too many steps needed to produce the result. It kinda reminds me of back-in-the-day where EVERYONE's VCR clock was blinking 12:00.

We are busy because we are high end people in our industry,
We don't like scanning because we are 35+ (Joe is even way higher than that),

What do the 20-30 y.o. that work 9-5 have to say?

I would say this is one of the best ideas for QR I've seen suggested. Instant engagement and gratification for the user. It's Sunday and no one is on the lot but I have a question about this car...

Have a question? Scan this QR code to initiate a live chat with a dealership representative.

Most of the ways we currently use QR's codes is what keeps it from going mainstream.

Zach - you get this up and running at your dealership and DealerRefresh would love to host an article around you and your implementation with QR to Live Chat.

Now for the Cons:
We know so little people engage with QR so your actual live chats will be small numbers (is it worth it?)
Lack of consistency could cause interruption in the service on weekends.
Lets say you DO engage someone on a Sunday and they are ready to Chat BUT no one at the dealership is (they are home eating dinner with the family) - does this do more harm than good or indifferent?
Reminder - placement of the QR and call to action will be vitally important for any percentage of engagement

Either way I love the concept!

Our Internet Sales team is pretty hardcore, so I'm willing to bet they'd text away in between bites of Spaghetti. =P
(I give them a lot of credit. Most work 9am-9pm AND THEN work more from home!)

True about the small numbers and I really do wish more people were aware of QR Codes in general. I don't think it will be too long until Apple/Android put them on the OS by default - which I definitely see happening by the end, if not the first half, of 2012.

The techie in me says "do it!" but the logic in me is saying "think of the masses!" What about a special call-forwarding number, cleverly titled "The Sunday Digits," that we can put on there (window sticker - not in a code) and dialing said number will ring to whichever sales person's number we've configured for that weekend (by offering them some kind of extra bonus on any car sold as the result of handling a Sunday call?) Could this get us in trouble with the "po-po?" We're not technically open so I'm assuming not. LOL...

Well, heck. I could do the QR idea AND the "Sunday Digits" idea - use the same sales person to cover both and see what kind of numbers we can pull from that.

Also, I'd love to participate in an article Jeff. "Look ma, I'm famous!"

P.S we do get a good bit of mobile traffic. I'd say we get at least 2k hits per month and 90% of that is iPhone. Come on Apple, just make QR Scanning pre-loaded!!!

Not sure about being famous but it would make for a great article.

As I was reading your response my wheels were turning, and I was thinking what you mentioned - could we incentivize the Sunday shopper with something a little extra? An additional hook to drive the customer into the showroom that Monday. Maybe place some urgency in the mix.

Not sure about being famous but it would make for a great article.

As I was reading your response my wheels were turning, and I was thinking what you mentioned - could we incentivize the Sunday shopper with something a little extra? An additional hook to drive the customer into the showroom that Monday. Maybe place some urgency in the mix.

Haha, I need to throw some sarcasm into every conversation or it just doesn't feel right.

I think the incentives for a Sunday shopper idea may be something to mull over as well. Getting them on the line with you the day after they were face-to-face with that shiny ride they've been eying, as opposed to 4 or 5 days later when the flowing lines of that vehicle begin to distort in their mind's eye and the 20-stage super plasma ultra-pearl exterior begins to fade into a $250 Maaco Presidential paint job. Maybe do something like: "Like what you see? Call our Sunday hotline to schedule an appointment with one of our representatives for the following Monday and get _____." That sounds pretty darn appealing, my friend. I like the way you think Jeff! You've got me quite excited to innovate, innovate, innovate. =P