• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

I agree but... it is a good way for someone to break the ice and if there is one thing we need in DR is more dealers participating and less wieners like me writing all the time.

So Thomas,

Welcome to DR, thank you for participating. I hope you will continue to provide your opinion in the forum for years to come.

Will definitely try. Sorry to disappoint you CraigH. I didn't know there was a specific forum or post that I had to go to first heh.

Its a quick way to get information across without having someone type it
It is however also not human readable
It has great power
It should be used wisely.

QR codes have great power?
QR codes are just a link.

I vote they're useless and should not be used on anything.
I polled my family at the last family get together and 0 out of 15 cell phones had a QR reader and 2 out of 15 people even knew what they did.

51ucJIXaxCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

Will definitely try. Sorry to disappoint you CraigH. I didn't know there was a specific forum or post that I had to go to first heh.

It's not a problem at all if you come back.
Just keep coming back, bring what you can to the community and take everything it has to offer.

The value is infinite for new members.

The biggest thing I can help with is Social Media and Online Marketing. I'll definitely keep my eyes open for the threads that I can help out the most.

Might randomly reply to a few other posts too. I'm just hoping that I see DealerRefresh become more active the most though.

Might randomly reply to a few other posts too. I'm just hoping that I see DealerRefresh become more active the most though.

Agreed. I remember a time when there was many posts per day for a while there.
It's slowed down considerably and I don't see many new faces come and stay for long.

It's a great archive, but ongoing growth is hard to see.

The good news on QR Codes is that you can experiment with them at no cost. Sites like bit.ly convert any URL to a QR Code for free. Even better, they allow you to track every time the code is scanned. I wouldn't spend any time, energy or money on this at this point in time, but you don't have to. A QR Code can be generated for free in seconds.

So put 'em on your window stickers, in your print ads, on the back of your business card - it hurts nothing. View it as an experiment and see how many scans (clicks) you generate.

But remember that your customer will be using a mobile device and make sure the content that the code directs to makes sense for mobile - your mobile site for instance - or better yet the VDP for the specific vehicle on your mobile site. Flash content (that doesn't play on an iPhone) on your normal website would be a FAIL.

Agree. Since the tool is free, it doesn't hurt other than a few measly seconds to copy and paste them. They key is where you will direct the QR codes too. If you send them somewhere that doesn't bring any value, they will bounce out and you get nothing. If you are going to use the QR codes, and assume the chance the customer gets curious to scan it-where is it taking them?