• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

I was at the car show here in KC where a dealer put QR codes on their vehicles being displayed at the car show. Great idea! Problem is the QR code scan took you to their website homepage that was 100% flash, and not a mobile friendly website... so it really went nowhere. It was a great idea with really bad execution.

To Kevin Frye - I agree. This would be a great use for QR Codes. I recently had a conversation with a dealer and they said they were having "great success!" - until we found out that most of the scans were coming from their sales staff - I still consider that a success.

When discussing QR codes on window stickers for consumers, I think there is value in, 1.) "Scan Me For Our Specials" and 2.) "Scan Me For Pricing".

I am wondering, is there anyone out there using a texting solution and QR Codes on the same window sticker? Or did someone switch from texting to QR and saw a drop or increase?

But if I'm in the vast majority of folks without a smartphones or a QR reader or QR knowledge, what's in it for me? On the lot, I'd rather have a human engage a customer and give a price than a Website.

But if I'm in the vast majority of folks without a smartphones or a QR reader or QR knowledge, what's in it for me? On the lot, I'd rather have a human engage a customer and give a price than a Website.

When a dealership makes the decision to -or no to- support mobile users on their website, how much more would they need to consider to add in QR as well?

The smartphone population is only growing. The codes seem to be gaining popularity. If you went through the trouble to be "Mobile Friendly" - why stop short of QR or any other technology that gets reasonably good exposure and could bring buyers?

You could spend a lot more on things that do a lot less for you.

The vast majority of folks don't submit email leads - should I ignore the ones that do? I agree that during business hours a salesman is the way we want to engage a customer. What about outside of normal hours?

And I really like Kevin's use. Imagine every salesperson with an iPad or other tablet. When a customer is landing on a vehicle, the salesperson scans the code and has the full CarFax, service history, options, Consumers Reports reviews or whatever other data you can think to put in their hands that will help sell the car.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not sold on QR codes. But the technology is free, it's here and I think I'd be testing it out some!

When a dealership makes the decision to -or no to- support mobile users on their website, how much more would they need to consider to add in QR as well?

Generating QR codes is a cakewalk. Getting QR codes attached to the right piece of inventory takes a little more thought and planning. (And if you want that code applied to something inside the car, add at least another hour of key-wrangling and anguished screams.) I'm with you in that I see the value here...but care and maintenance is tricky.

I agree with AA.

I built a mobile site for reps and staff to use while "working the lot". Nothing fancy until you see the "Request Repair" link.

This Car

oooooo...... :)

Reps/staff see a flat tire, ding, stain or whatever and create a record on the fly. It tosses the record into a work summary area & automatically emails people that need to know. System knows who gets which task and email/texts them instantly (i.e. Lot boys flat tire, stain goes to seat guy, glass goes to glass guy) Management gets copied. Reporting can be viewed by date, by task, by assignment. So, when the dent guy arrives, a dent task list can be printed.

VENDORS, be sure to credit me and send me a fair royalty check!

I agree with AA.

I built a mobile site for reps and staff to use while "working the lot". Nothing fancy until you see the "Request Repair" link.

This Car

oooooo...... :)

Reps/staff see a flat tire, ding, stain or whatever and create a record on the fly. It tosses the record into a work summary area & automatically emails people that need to know. System knows who gets which task and email/texts them instantly (i.e. Lot boys flat tire, stain goes to seat guy, glass goes to glass guy) Management gets copied. Reporting can be viewed by date, by task, by assignment. So, when the dent guy arrives, a dent task list can be printed.

VENDORS, be sure to credit me and send me a fair royalty check!

Always 1 step ahead Joe...

Very impressive