• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

Ran across this decent write-up...

The Signs of Business» QR Codes vs. Microsoft Tag Reader Predicting the Winner

Everyone says how great MS Tag works but I cant my BlackBerry to scan this tag after 20 tries...give it a shot!

Samsung Epic (Android 2.2) saw it right away, though it is more annoying to zap than a QR Code since it wants it to sit in the dead center of the reticule whereas QR codes are more forgiving in how they get read. On the flipside, the instant the tag was inside that target it was read.

We've begun to push more on the QR codes to test them out and see how much interest they drive. We've been placing them on Sales desks with links to customer reviews, in newspaper ads and in other various locations all linked to tracking sites and directing to useful pages.

Early on it's hit and miss, though we have started to notice a bit of an increase in scans the last couple weeks. Will post more once we have more information about it.

As for usefulness/ fad. I think they can be handy in the right locations but certainly aren't sold on them as a car dealer.

Best place I've seen a QR/ Tag was on the little marker in potted plants at Home Depot (or Lowes). I didn't scan it at the time but it seems like it'd be handy use for the Tag.

QR codes are here to stay and it is important to keep in mind this is just a convenience factor which allows car shoppers to gather more information and perform a desired action with ease. They will allow your dealership to be easier to work and do business with which will give you the competitive advantage. We are having great success with QR codes and do have a process for the desired result and/or action.

Here are some videos we have done on QR codes and hope you find some useful information.

25 Ways to Use QR Codes in Your Auto Dealership Marketing

Tracking QR Codes Scans in Your Automotive Marketing

Drive Leads for Sales and Service in Your Automotive Advertising

Have a Awesome Week, Paul

Reactions: 1 person
I asked this question to Kevin Frye during his integration session at DD10 and in typical KF fashion he simply stated " I use them to allow our sales staff to do their jobs i.e. linking the codes to Carfax. At this point we have dipped our big toe in the water in that we've placed the codes on the back of our business cards and placed them on the sales staff desks linking them back to our prestoreview sites and dealerrater sites. Heres the link that Scott Falcone provided me QR-Code Generator
So far, so good. Still looking for innovative ideas perhaps on how you guys are using text in the QR codes. Special promo's, coupons?

Such an interesting topic. I'd agree that this is still very niche but so is FourSquare and Twitter, really... yet we spend a good amount strategizing about those. What's great about QR codes, is that you can "set it & forget it"... It is pretty simple to implement and it becomes a convenience to your customers, albeit only a niche quadrant of your customers, but it still registers with them... so why not?

For instance, OEMs are now starting put QR codes on all new car window stickers. Of course! It has negligble costs and has a good upside. If you aren't putting QR codes on your used vehicles, you should be! Like the line from Animal House... "grab a beer, it don't cost nothin'"

QR codes on your vehicles won't get you rich overnight, but it sure isn't going to hurt.

Joe,
Clickmotive has a new product that comes with a small printer that prints large QR codes on approx 4 inch by 4 inch stickers to place on a vehicle that a shopper can scan and see the mobile landing page for that vehicle.
There are tons of free QR code generators online. When we print window stickers out with VIN, it automatically generates the QR code for that vehicle landing page on the window sticker. We are seeing more value for our sales reps who scan the code with their smart phone and then show the full CarFax report to the shopper right at the car without having to go inside...
As per QR codes vs. Microsoft tags, kind of reminds me of Beta vs. VHS, lol...