• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Re Tooling BDC Process

CHRISH84

Green Pea
Jul 29, 2016
First Name
chris
So a quick background....I run the internet department for a Chevrolet and Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Store. When I started there were 5 people in the department. Its now down to myself and 2 BDC reps under me, getting anywhere form 800-1000 leads a month. I have been told we are way under staffed, and I agree, but the owner will not allow me to bring more reps.

Ive been looking at more efficient ways to run the BDC vs what was in place when I got here. The CRM is vinsolutions, and currently has a set process that assigns calls to reps. Ive thought about doing away with the call tasks, and having them focus on newer leads a few times a day then getting to the older stuff if they have time. Does anyone have things set up like this? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, as I'm re doing everything one way or another, just not sure how. Thanks ahead of time!

Yes, you need more people. Maybe you can try some part time people to help with the workload?

The best time-saver idea I have is something you're probably already doing and that's automated emails. That saved us a ton of a time.

I would also look at any processes that may be wasting your reps' time. Are they doing chores for the sales dept that can be passed along? Are they entering information into a tracker/report that can be automated by you? If it's a productivity problem then maybe look into an auto-dialer so they aren't waiting on voicemails all day?

Sounds like your BDC is a "cost center" for the dealership, instead of a "profit center."

If the pay plans were aligned properly, then the BDC headcount wouldn't matter to the owner, because everyone would pay for himself or herself. Here are the 5 "musts" for a BDC that you should share with the owner: http://askthemanager.com/2015/02/the-five-absolute-musts-for-a-successful-automotive-sales-bdc/

Beyond that, I recommend you look at putting a process into VIN that only triggers calls and a single email for any non-responsive prospect (all other emails are automated). This keeps your team from sending emails and keeps them on the phones, where they belong. Here is my 2017 Internet Sales Process that I've developed with my clients that focuses on fewer total calls and only one manual email:

Day 1 – Lead arrives in CRM; Auto-Response Fires. Review lead completely.
Phone Call – this call should be made as soon as you’ve read and understood the customer’s needs (with a goal of 5 minutes and a maximum acceptable time of 15 minutes)
Manually send Day 1 email template – include hand-typed answers to any questions asked from comments and vehicle pricing
If the lead arrives early enough in the day, at least one additional phone call (utilizing a DIFFERENT voice mail messages) should be made.​
Day 2 – Phone Call (At least one, but up to two if only one call made on Day 1)
Day 2 – AUTOMATED email
Day 3 – Phone Call
Day 4 – AUTOMATED email
Day 4 – Phone Call
Day 5 – Phone Call
Day 7 – Manager Phone Call
Day 8 – AUTOMATED email
Day 10 – Phone Call
Day 14 – AUTOMATED email
Day 15 – Phone Call
Day 22 – AUTOMATED email
Day 31 – AUTOMATED email
Day 45 – AUTOMATED email

After 45 days, Non-Responsive Prospects should be moved to an “Active Broadcast” status, meaning they may receive up to 1 email each month with a sales call-to-action including specials and special offers. No additional communications should be sent to this group.
You'll note there are no phone calls after Day 15, which should keep your team focused on the leads most likely to close.

Good selling!

I tried getting another rep, but was turned down. Most likely because I beat year over year numbers with less. I looked into an auto dialer, but was told they dont integrate with vin.

If your CRM can export a CSV it can integrate with an auto dialer. I've never used VIN but I assume it can export a list?

Like Steve said, on the phones is where the focus belongs.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, as I'm re doing everything one way or another, just not sure how. Thanks ahead of time!
An auto dialer can drastically reduce the amount of time it takes to make effective calls.
It has bugs. The process can be anxiety inducing. It takes more management and strategy to effectively execute. BUT to see a BDC rep make 600+ calls and set 40+ appointments is a heart warming event. That's by no means regular mileage but by all means attainable.