Welcome to DealerRefresh Forums!

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking thelink above. You may have to Register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Reynolds closes modem access?

Discussion in 'Reynolds and Reynolds' started by Jarrett, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Refresher

First Name:
    Jarrett
    Company:
    DealerTeam.com
    Recently received a letter from Reynolds confirming their desire to eliminate inbound modem access. What are non RCI vendors doing for data access? I know DMI wants clients to install an application on the LAN that will poll data from the DMS.

PDF of letter can be found here
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ggarvin

ggarvin Noob

First Name:
    Glen
    Company:
    Dominion Enterprises
    I think if you take a careful look at the letter, it doesn't state that they will terminate the modems but instead are asking the dealer to do so voluntarily. The client-side application at the dealership is a desirable answer for at least the near-term future. One of the Dominion companies, SelectQu, uses a similar piece of software to accomplish the same goal.

In any case, I do believe in the principles laid out by the Open Secure Access Group (www.opensecureaccess.com) and hopefully dealers and the industry will see the importance of this issue!
  3. Mitchell Brenner

Mitchell Brenner Refresher

First Name:
    Mitchell
    Company:
    Precision Acura of Princeton
    Has Reynolds and Reynolds gone too far?

We received a letter today from Reynolds and Reynolds that effective January 4th, 2010 all modem access to third party vendors will be turned off. That means we have to scramble now with all our vendors to find other ways to get the data to them. All during the Holidays and limited time. How's that for notice? Does anyone know other ways to push pre-owned data to Reynolds and Reynolds on an automated basis?:mad:
  4. Mitchell Brenner

First Name:
    Mitchell
    Company:
    Re: Has Reynolds and Reynolds gone too far?

Unfortunately it's a global thing. All dealers are effected except Land Rover, Jaguar and Volvo. Every other dealer will no longer have inbound access via modems! Of course ReyRey is suggesting subscribing to the RPM Remote Client Access which is secure and supported by ReyRey. No mention of filling their pockets. The letter reads like they're doing us a favor!
  5. Jarrett

Jarrett Refresher

First Name:
    Jarrett
    Company:
    DealerTeam.com
    I don't know if this is appropriate for this forum however if it helps someone I am glad to contribute.

Below is an example of how to extract Used vehicle inventory from Reynolds to XML and individual variables.

The code snippet below requires php scripting language and cURL libraries for the POST method HTTP request. Running this script returns complete used inventory in XML format. You will also need to add DNS to resolve erasv01 to your ERA boxes IP.

PHP:
    /*
        ERA SOAP Veh Inventory View Example 
        JVK

9/13/07
    */

define(USER_AGENT, 'com.reyrey.ds.eai.xmppagent.DmsTxBasePost');

$post_data    =    '<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no" ?>
    <!DOCTYPE TransmissionWrapper SYSTEM
    "http://b2b.reyrey.com/dtds/ERA/TransmissionWrapper.dtd">
    <TransmissionWrapper TransmissionID="'.time().'">
    <TransmissionData><![CDATA[
    <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no" ?>
    <!DOCTYPE ERAVehInvRequest SYSTEM "/vobs/era/sales01/j_src/com/reyrey/sales/dtd/ERAVehInvRequest.dtd">
    <ERAVehInvRequest>
        <GenTransData OrigSysID="SALESFORCE" ProcSysID="XXXXXXXXXX"
                StoreNo="01" BranchNo="01" TransCode="VI" TransOpType="Query"
                TZ="PST" ClientId="SALESFORCE">
        <TransTimeStamp Date="'.date("m/d/Y").'" Time="'.date("H:i:s").'"/>
        </GenTransData>
        <QueryFields ERAAppl="sales" NeworUsed="U" StockNo="" VIN="" VehMake=""
                     VehModel="" Carline="" VehYear="" LowPrice="0" HighPrice="999999" />
        <OtherCriteria Name="NoRecordsToSuccess" Value="YES"/>
    </ERAVehInvRequest>
    ]]></TransmissionData>
    </TransmissionWrapper>';

$header_array[] = "Content-type: text/xml";

$ch = curl_init();

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, $header_array);
          curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, true);
          curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, 'http://erasv01:8100/salesbin/ServerVehInvView');
          curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, true);
          curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, true);
          curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, USER_AGENT);
          curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, $post_data);

$datum =     curl_exec($ch);
                curl_close($ch);

// Extract CDATA
    $cdata_pos_1    =    strpos($datum, '<![CDATA[');
    $cdata_pos_2    =    strpos($datum, ']]>', $cdata_pos_1);
    $cdata_subs        =    substr($datum, ($cdata_pos_1 + 9), (($cdata_pos_2 - $cdata_pos_1) - 9)); 

echo $cdata_subs;

$xml     =    new SimpleXMLElement($cdata_subs);

print_r($xml);
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mattwatson81

mattwatson81 Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Matt
    Company:
    Stackify
    This looks like a call to the RCI interface?
  7. umer.autojini

umer.autojini Refresher

First Name:
    U
    Company:
    AutoJini
    Matt, how long did it take VSL to be certified by RR...
  8. iceman101

iceman101 Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Jason
    Company:
    Self
    Anyway I can get a copy of the letter sent to me? jamathern@gmail.com

Sure would help me.

Thanks!
  9. lfinney

lfinney Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    LORI
    Anyone have updated information on what dealers are doing? Is this required or suggestion?

Lori Finney

We are on ADP but I am trying to find some information for my sister store?
  10. mattwatson81

mattwatson81 Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Matt
    Company:
    Stackify
    On January 4th if any of your vendors access Reynolds ERA via modem they won't be able to anymore. If they are accessing it by installing software on your network or Reynolds RCI they should be fine still.
  11. Jarrett

Jarrett Refresher

First Name:
    Jarrett
    Company:
    DealerTeam.com
    This letter came from vAuto.

I have re-read the letter and do not see the verbiage they are referring to.

Good Afternoon Jarrett,

We are sending you this note because you may have received the attached letter from Reynolds and Reynolds regarding Internal Modem Access to your ERA system. The purpose of this letter is to ensure that there is no interruption of your vAuto service. Please note the following

• Per the language of the letter, Reynolds is only recommending that Dealers uninstall their modems. Reynolds states that modems will no longer be needed (by Reynolds) to communicate into their ERA system. Modems would still be utilized by 3rd parties such as vAuto as well as Manufacturer based programs.

• Should you decide to disconnect your modem, you can load SMART onto a PC at your dealership that is connected to your ERA system. This will allow data collection for vAuto to continue at no additional cost to you. If you have a VPN or Secure Telnet connection into your ERA system that will also work.

For your convenience we have attached information regarding IntegraLink SMART (Secure Managed Automotive Real-Time) technology. It explains SMART and contains a Q&A section. You can enroll in SMART via the IntegraLink website:

http://www.integralink.com/smart.html; simply click the link labeled “Sign up now for SMART”.

Please don’t hesitate to call us with any questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Mike Augustine
    vAuto Customer Support
  12. iceman101

First Name:
    Jason
    Company:
    Self
    Jarrett, Is there any way I could see a copy of the actual letter?
  13. Mitchell Brenner

First Name:
    Mitchell
    Company:
    I can email it to you if this upload didn't work. Just email me at mbrenner@precisionacura.com

14. iceman101

First Name:
    Jason
    Company:
    Self
    Mitchell,

I sent you my email address. I appreciate you getting this for me.

Thanks again!
  15. Jarrett

Jarrett Refresher

First Name:
    Jarrett
    Company:
    DealerTeam.com
  16. iceman101

First Name:
    Jason
    Company:
    Self
    Has anyone gotten a quote on what something like this would cost?
  17. LarryBruce

LarryBruce Noob

First Name:
    Larry
    Company:
    MicrositesByU
    All -

Here is the bottom-line. Yes Reynolds is restricting access to non RCI vendors. Yes there will be local ways around that if that is really what you want to do.

Data security is a really big deal here guys, surely you have to see that. The DMS is carrying more and more sensitive data. Customer's are becoming increasingly aware of what is being done with their information and increasingly more concerned about it. R&R has to be proactive in guarding that data as ultimately our customers look to us for that security and the dealerships customers demand it. Once one of the 3rd parties has your customers data hostilely we cannot know and have no agreement in place for how they will protect it and use it, it's just that simple guys.

Larry Bruce (@pcmguy)
  18. iceman101

First Name:
    Jason
    Company:
    Self

It's really not that simple. If I could believe that Reynolds is closing access to non RCI vendors has to do with JUST security and not wanting some sort of revenue gain from it would be great! From my understanding there are only a handful of RCI vendors while hundreds of 3rd parties are stuck waiting to get theirs. Making the RCI program faster and easier to achieve would be a great 1st step. To me this seems like scare tactics to get a piece of the pie.
  19. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Company:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter:
    axsnyder
    Larry,

Thank you for commenting about this. Too often we get upset with our DMS companies because they never give reasoning to their clients behind changes. Or if they give reasoning, it is only to the DMS system administrator and that person does not get the message out to the soldiers.

As long as DMS companies continue to allow their clients to do what they want with their data, I can only fault a DMS company so much. But when the DMS company dictates to the customer (dealers) what the customer must do with the customer's (dealer's) data, then I begin to get really upset.

Too often changes happen with DMS companies' policies that the water gets extremely murky. It makes it very tough for dealers and vendors to operate. The only thought in these situations is that the DMS company perceives themselves to be losing income due to competition with other technologies so they close down data conduits. If this is the true case, then I foresee more competition developing on the DMS side itself. At the end of the day, the DMS companies are operating on antiquated software filled with patches. Someone is going to code something fresh and either become stringent competition a few years after launch or one of the DMS companies is going to have to spend a lot of money buying that fresh software to shelve it. I sometimes think this is what dealers are really paying for with the large DMS companies: shelving funds.

For a dealer to even suspect that, what does it say about DMS to dealer communications?

P.S. Back on topic: what dealer is still using a modem anyway?
  20. Jarrett

Jarrett Refresher

First Name:
    Jarrett
    Company:
    DealerTeam.com
    It would seem to me that an open architecture would be the most secure and profitable. It would encourage integration and attract end users. This philosophy has already been proven in other segments of the IT world.

Just think if R&R moved groups like STAR and OpenSecureAccess close to their hip and built a programmable DMS how popular and profitable it could be. It would squash ADP and Arkona as a tier 1 sys,

But instead my alternative is I have to answer a question like "What color is the sky?" when I run a 6910 report generator report...

Will ERA still work after the rapture?