• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Reynolds Lockouts - Query Builder

DealerIntelligence

Full Sticker
Aug 31, 2011
First Name
John
Had a client of mine ask me for help on a Query Builder Issue...

Says that certain files (such as Schedule1 or Accounts) are 'Inactive' now when he tries to run Query Builder reports. He hasn't done those types of queries in months from Query Builder, and we heard that RR has a new program that disables Files in the Query Builder access menu that have not been run in 3 months.

Ok, that's fine, but when the dealer called Reynolds to ask them to re-activate the inactive files, they told him to build the report in 6910, and that Reynolds discouraging the use of Query Builder.

What's the deal here? Is Reynolds going to remove Query Builder at some point?

Also, is it feasible to use 6910 as a replacement for Query builder to run reports?

Reynold's is always threatening to take away some feature. Two years ago it was 6910, everyone shifted to use 7601, now they want us back in 6910. In the last year I have heard that everything from 7601 to to the report scheduler, heck even ERAccess itself, is "going away".

Most of the time it's bobo and the gang saber rattling, but they have delivered on occasion. I don't think anyone really knows and that includes those working for Reynolds.

As for the TAC telling your customer to use 6910, I would call again. Talk to 3 TAC employees and get 5 different answers is my experience. I have never heard of a case where a determined dealer could not get the file access restored.

As to 6910 feasibility as a replacement for 7601, it depends mainly on your format requirements. Data wise all the the elements available within 7601 are available in 6910, but the output options much poorer. Even with the saved report wizard which allows you to apply some format, to say generate a tab delimited file, 6910 is not really capable of accommodating complicated datasets like 7601 is. It is also a much more labor intensive process that 7601 for the person generating the data.

The report export wizard has to bee the poorest program ever within the ERA system, but it is an option. You can put reports on hold in 6910 and play with the export options in the wizard. If your only after simple (structurally) data you might have some luck. That said I would not have the dealer give up on getting the access restored, but I'm opposed to anything that remotely resembles knuckling under to ReyRey.

Ahhh! My favourite topic. Here's the skinny: (or at least in my experiences)

Reynolds seems to be selectively removing query builder access to certain files (namely the ones that contain data that has value). When pressed, the TAC at first feigns ignorance, then encourages use of 6910. 6910 has limits on data pulls that 7601 did not, yet they will maintain that there is no difference. Subsequent calls will reveal that the dealers access to the file is revoked if it isnt touched in a 30 day rolling window. If asked WHY the dealer may not access a file using Query Builder, they will cite a "story" of a dealer who had his data stolen via 7601 by an unscrupulous third party and so, in the interest of being conciensious they prevent access to the data to protect the dealer. They will then in the same breath tell you to use 6910 "to get the same data" using the report on hold method. When asked how using 6910 over 7601 is "more secure" if i am able "to get the same data" using 6910 i get the equivalent of a blank stare over the phone. Roughly 25 % of the time you can get access to the file reinstated by elevating your voice, crying, issuing bomb threats or otherwise, the other 75% of the time you get that awesome beaurocratic "im sorry I can't do that" response.

All in all, do not look for logic anywhere in the Reynolds internal policy manual- instead ask yourself "does this latest policy in someway make more revenue for R&R?"- If it does then you have your answer- third parties will be expected to pay exorbinant RCI fees which in turn will be passed on back to the end sucker, you.

Reactions: 3 people
Code:
/me Revives old thread.

Just got a bunch of accounts at work disabled yesterday for "Suspicious Activity" because we were using Query Builder.
All accounts were coming from the same external IP, which was supposedly whitelisted with Reynolds.

Does it ever end?

Warning
you are attempting to create a user id that allows access to query
builder (7601/7602) which has access to every single field in every
record in the file(s) you have selected in the era system. This may
include extremely sensitive information such as all payroll and
accounting data. It also may include personal information in f&i deals
such as name, address, telephone number, social security number, bank
accounts, etc.
As we announced in december 2012 our plan is to sunset and end of life
the query builder software, therefore reynolds recommends that you use a
more secure method of accessing your data by leveraging the era report
generator (6910) tool and/or the retail management intelligence (rmi)
tool.

Reactions: 1 person
Did you think that it was your choice Mr dealer? How arrogant of you! You can't just go around giving out access to your data to whomever you please! This kind of language in this day and age is very indicative of a VERY arrogant company. I suppose they are at least making an attempt to make it about liability at the end there, but they really must think the lot of us are mouth breathers.
WARNING
****** IMPORTANT ******
IF THIS USER ID IS TO BE USED BY A 3RD PARTY ENTITY OUTSIDE THE
DEALERSHIP THIS IS IN DIRECT CONFLICT WITH YOUR REYNOLDS AGREEMENT. THE
REYNOLDS AGREEMENT SPECIFICALLY STATES THAT YOU CANNOT GIVE USER ID
ACCESS TO A 3RD PARTY.
IF YOU PROCEED TO GIVE ANY OUTSIDE 3RD PARTY A USER ID WITH ACCESS TO
QUERY BUILDER, YOU HEREBY RELIEVE REYNOLDS & REYNOLDS FOR ANY LIABILITY
OR RESPONSIBILITY FOR DATA BREACH OF PERSONAL INFORMATION.

PLEASE TYPE "YES" TO PROCEED OR "NO" OR ENTER TO CANCEL.

Reactions: 1 person
Did you think that it was your choice Mr dealer? How arrogant of you! You can't just go around giving out access to your data to whomever you please! This kind of language in this day and age is very indicative of a VERY arrogant company. I suppose they are at least making an attempt to make it about liability at the end there, but they really must think the lot of us are mouth breathers.
WARNING
****** IMPORTANT ******
IF THIS USER ID IS TO BE USED BY A 3RD PARTY ENTITY OUTSIDE THE
DEALERSHIP THIS IS IN DIRECT CONFLICT WITH YOUR REYNOLDS AGREEMENT. THE
REYNOLDS AGREEMENT SPECIFICALLY STATES THAT YOU CANNOT GIVE USER ID
ACCESS TO A 3RD PARTY.
IF YOU PROCEED TO GIVE ANY OUTSIDE 3RD PARTY A USER ID WITH ACCESS TO
QUERY BUILDER, YOU HEREBY RELIEVE REYNOLDS & REYNOLDS FOR ANY LIABILITY
OR RESPONSIBILITY FOR DATA BREACH OF PERSONAL INFORMATION.

PLEASE TYPE "YES" TO PROCEED OR "NO" OR ENTER TO CANCEL.

I agree a 100% but the truth is that a nontrivial number of ReyRey customers buy into this. Of the percentage that doesn't many are stuck in contracts they can't get out of or unwilling to incur the difficulty of making a DMS switch. Whatever the case Reynolds keeps the envelope and setting up their tollbooths.

polls_ohyeah_3127_396185_answer_1_xlarge.jpg

unwilling to incur the difficulty of making a DMS switch.

This.
If someone had a flawless way to switch, it would make everyone's life easier.
I think that's part of the problem here - Reynolds is locking down query builder so you can't export all your data easily. If they see you doing queries across multiple containers they shut your account down.