• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
In a BDC it is hard to round robin but it is hard not to. You have to give everyone the opportunity to make a living and staffing can be very difficult. Unfortunately sometimes we need the body. Regardless, lead response time is the biggest driving factor in winning the appointment. We set up a rule that we will round robin however if the lead is in there longer than 5 minutes anyone can get it. You then have to balance the percentages. If someone has a lower appointment percentage try to understand why. Sometimes it is because they aren't doing the right thing but sometimes they may be working to many leads. If a rep has to many leads they can't get their follow up done. There is a lot that goes into this but I would start with lead response time.

First; the car business is not meant to be fair. It’s more of a competition where there are winners and losers.

Second; let’s say you have ten salespeople. Three rock-solid top performers, four in the middle of the pack, and three at the bottom. From what I’ve read in this thread, it seems like many want to give the top three more of the good leads and shut out the bottom three. Makes sense, right?

Third; going back to the initial point of winners and losers, the job of management is to create a winning team – not just a few winners, but a team of winners. The bottom seven may need additional coaching to increase their performance level, but you have the potential to have ten solid performers, not just three.

Coaching to win requires a full team of winners. Not three winners and seven losers.

Coaching to win requires a full team of winners. Not three winners and seven losers.

While I fully agree with this, I personally fed the top three, coached the bottom 7 and fed them a little less, and watched the bottom 3 like a hawk to see if they were going to make it. You can't survive with just a small clump of top performers, but to make enough gross to net a little something at the end of the month I needed the leads to go to the guys who could close them.

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau