• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Salary for Internet Sales Manager or Director

Anyone have a formula for paying an Ebay Manager? 150 to 200 cars posted each week for a group. Thank you for your input.

If they are just posting cars I would pay them an hourly wage. If they are fielding the calls and selling, then I would pay them a commission when sale is made. The commission should be less than that of a traditional sales rep since they are getting some sort of hourly wage.

I have been the Internet Sales Director for a group of 4 dealerships for the last 5 years. Salary has always been an issue. When I started in the position, it was relatively new and the dealership was unsure what to pay so they stuck a salary of $60K on the position.

5 years later, there has been no change in salary but I have grown the department from selling 60 cars per month to an average of 223 per month. My conversion ratios are over 20%.

I recently approached the owners to show them the average Internet Sales Director postion salary of 6 figures and can't get them to see the light. They are very much on board with the Internet Department but think all their walk in traffic comes in from traditional advertising.

I do not directly sell cars, we have what you would call an Internet dealership where all the salemen have the opportunity to participate in Internet sales if they meet certain closing ratio and response time ratios. This group I oversee is currently 40 salesmen and growing. Without going into great detail, I oversee the processes, training, websites, SEO, SEM, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

lizkelly said:
I recently approached the owners to show them the average Internet Sales Director postion salary of 6 figures and can't get them to see the light. They are very much on board with the Internet Department but think all their walk in traffic comes in from traditional advertising.

You wouldn't be the first person to shop your expertise to another dealer. I am sure somebody would be willing to pay you a six figure income if you could bring that type of success to another dealership.

I am also sure their are many dealers who have regretted letting a talented individual go work for their competitor.

Good luck!

Okay, after reading all of your inputs and wondering if I too was being paid fairly, this is what I thought I would share.
Currently the dealership I work at WAS a Buick Pontiac GMC and Saturn Facility. We were two rooftops and of course as you now know we lost Pontiac and Saturn. One building has our Buick GMC's and the other building we are amping up to be our used car type superstore.
Before I came into the picture a little over a year ago there was NO internet department. I had came into the dealership to handle their photos, labels and processing of vehicles and also handling their incoming leads.

Speed up to today....I now handle the inventory management online, photos, walk around videos, response time and assigning incoming leads to sales, weekly follow ups with individual sales members, email campaigns, website set up and integration, SEM SEO, Social Media, CRM developments, secure application pulls and follow ups, advertising, graphics department and basically the manager of managers. I basically make sure all departments and members integrate and flow without a hitch. There have been times where I thought I was literally going to lose my mind (yes, I have a blackberry and respond to leads 24/7 for GM's oneSource) Even on vacations and days off I am hooked to the Blackberry 24/7....now for my pay plan....
I am paid a straight weekly salary plus a bonus every quarter for GM's Onesource lead handling. My lead % is between 99-100% being that sometimes there's a glitch and a lead either falls through the cracks or our CRM had issues with merging multiple leads. Lead Response average is approx. 23 minutes. My pay has increased 3 times within that year to the good. Even after GM dropped the ball on the lead bonus program my boss' were gratious enough to still keep my bonus plan the same knowing I would still keep them in good standing and making us look good to GM.
I have been fortunate enough to have owners who totally get the importance of the internet and everything that goes along with it and am paid accordingly. I have proven myself and they have recognized it. If doing all the things I'm doing and more than you should deserve to be paid as the top managers.
So you tell me.....$54,000/yearly sound fair?
We now sell approx 20 new monthly and 60 used where we were at 12 new and 40 used 6 months ago. Now setting a goal of ramping up the used car dept. now to cover the loss of Pontiac and Saturn. Goal is 40 new and 100 used.

They are very much on board with the Internet Department but think all their walk in traffic comes in from traditional advertising.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Use a In-House Survey...

"Have you bought from us before? Yes No

How did you hear about us?

TV Radio Newspaper Web Family/Friends Other

What are the top 3 TV Channels you are watching?

What are the top 3 Radio Stations you are listening to?

Do you read the local Newspaper regularly? Yes No

Do you consider yourself a frequent Internet user? Yes No

Did you visit Internet automobile shopping sites?

Cars.com AutoTrader KBB Edmunds Other

Did you visit our website, XXX.com? Yes No

How did you locate our website? Google Yahoo MSN Other"

(this is not my idea ...I think Joe is the one that posted a similar survey... i just tailored to my needs... thanks Joe!)

I make the Finance managers go over it. Using something like this ... you will get to know your customers...I dont know if this will help you convince your mangers...