• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Sales Manager Duties!

Apr 28, 2009
First Name
Jerry
So you're a manager in a dealership, what exactly are you doing all day? I would like to hear from managers who work in a dealership. Tell us about your day and what keeps you busy. Give me a numbered list of all the things you do. I am going to be writing an article and I may come to a few of you for quotes.

Thanks!

And Alan Ram wants them to listen to all the calls in call tracking.

Be careful when you say "all the calls". I don't believe anyone suggested they would listen to every single call, but I could be mistaken.
I listened to the debate and read the article but I may have missed this.

Let's also not turn this into a "bash Alan Ram" thread - opinions are free to have and express, even if they're wrong.

He said all "sales calls." Well you basically have to click on every call to find the sales calls. I got a text message from a previous manager at the dealership he mentioned on the webinar. That manager told me that they never listened to all the calls, didn't have time. Another example of a trainer telling a dealership to do something in theory that sounds good, but in reality it ain't happening.

Ol' Uncle Joe Observation :unclejoe:

A signature of a great restaurant has their owner/managers walking around greeting customers and asking if all is going well. We all love it when the boss is making sure we're happy...

So I'll ask...

If dealerships are so profitable (Wall Street is buying all they can), then why are managers out back flipping burgers?

Reactions: Jerry Thibeau
The controller in the 1st store I ever worked at told me that the car business was so good for so many owners because they could "put a million in, and get a million back in as short as 12 months". I didn't fully understand then, but I sure do now. That hasn't changed as far as I can see. I'm not suggesting that stores run themselves, but I've been in the software solution business for almost 20 years now, and I go into stores that are exceptionally well run and make little money, and also those that are run just short of "terrible" and make loads of profit. I tend to see Managers as a buoy in the shipping lane giving a wide berth to staff. They have so much to do to recruit people that they never really get make anyone better. I continue to see stores that are slow to add back head count since the downturn and Managers are still doing the job of 2 or even 3. Salary and Supervision is in line, and profits are up, that's why Wall Street is "in".

Many of the medium sized groups I call on have been approached by potential buyers in recent years and report it's only heating up. If you had suitors for your multi million dollar business would you be focused on growing your Managers? That's why they're out back flipping burgers Joe. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: joe.pistell