• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Service BDC for our dealership

Jun 23, 2015
First Name
Rachael
We are creating a BDC for our group of dealerships. We will be starting with Service / Fix-ed Ops only. I've had a webinar with Proactive Dealer Solutions, but I'd like to check out one or two more BDC consulting / software companies to help us get started.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for joining us Rachel. This may seem like a general question, but what exactly is your dealer looking to achieve from a Service BDC?

Do they have one already established or is this an all new adventure for them?

It also sounds like your first task is finding the right Service BDC software / solution...

What CRM program is your group currently using for Sales?

We will be establishing an all new BDC. The plan is to take some of the burden off of the Service Advisors at first. Handle inbound service calls, appointment reminders, etc. It sounds like a glorified receptionist at this point, but that's why we need help with the startup. Eventually I'd like to see it grow to the sales side, but I know the importance of baby steps.
We are looking for software and training.

So many dealers are sales focused with their CRM and miss out on the opportunity on the service side.

How are your service reps currently scheduling appointments? Are they using a 3rd party software or utilizing the service side of the DMS (as many dealers tend to do)? You'll want to have this figured out or else this will be one of the first points of friction between the service reps and your BDC.

If you're already using a 3rd Party Software, does it also provide a consumer facing feature that allows for online and mobile scheduling?

Side Tip: Offering Chat on your dealership website for service customers would be a top priority for me.

Also - I believe @bryancarguy maybe be able to offer some support around this topic. Where are you Bryan?

Reactions: bryancarguy
Another quick add, and this is NOT an endorsement but I have seen it and have heard of many dealers talk up their services - Momentum Service CRM - http://www.crmomentum.com/ . I never hear much about the sales side of their CRM but Ive always heard some good stuff about their Service CRM, which is where they got their start.

When I was overseeing a smaller BDC that also handled service, we were using the Dominion (then called @utorevenue). They offered an online and mobile service scheduler (one of the better IMO). The integration with ADP DMS was pretty solid and the UI for the BDC was quite comprehensive and offered a customer service retention side (text, email, VM reminders and retention campaigns). This was a few years back though.

@Rachael B - another question.. what CRM are you using on the sales side of the dealership?

Rachel the most important questions, before technology or people, is why?

If it's just to take pressure off the Service Writers then that's a whole different animal than an integrated Customer Communications Center.

What CRM does the Sales side use and are your advisers using the same?
Does your current CRM integrate Service history into the Customer profiles or does it simply create new import leads?

I know you're looking for answers and I think I can help, but setting up a separate system may just prolong your agony and create a whole new issue down the expansion road.

Rachael - I developed a BDC from the ground up, myself. That being said - it seems (as far as service goes) that you can hire 1-2 service scheduler's, no? They could take the service adviser training for the respective brands. Something you have to ask yourself is how do they get paid. Typically we call the average (not all) service calls "captive." By that I mean the customer is calling us to see when s/he can come in for the said issue.

So, paying him/her commission for the appointment does not always make sense. What I would offer is writing down a mission statement. Asking yourself how this position is going to align with the needs of the Service Center as well as the company. Is this a long-term fix? Or, is this a short-term fix because you are understaffed?

If the BDC will also be working with the sales consultants, then it is, yet, a whole other ball game. Often, I find that dealers are mesmerized by the BDC. As if it were a one stop dream team that handled everything. But, sadly, the often purpose of having a BDC (whatever that means to the respective dealer) is to manage everything the sales reps/service advisors aren't doing.

That being said, I would be more than happy to assist you - even send sample job descriptions - also how the BDC can align with a company. Defining what their purpose is, and how do they fit into the current business model.

This will make your life that much easier. Especially if you are developing the BDC by yourself!

Hope this helps.