• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Service Marketing - What defines VALUE?

Nov 4, 2012
First Name
Jessica
@Jeff Kershner recently added this category and I can't believe we've made it this long without it. Sure, we've had some great discussions around driving service specific marketing efforts. BUT, let's get this category started by jumping into the basics.

What are you doing at your dealership today for service specific marketing and how are you defining VALUE to the consumer?

@Bill Simmons @daniel J. @Mondello @Bobbie Herron (Bobbie just joined and has TONS to share with us!)

Service is arguably the most important part of the dealership. That said, at Frederick Nissan we do several different forms of marketing. The most important form of marketing starts with our "Sales to Service Handoff." Educating the customer on what s/he can expect from the service department. That is everything from scheduling an appointment online or on our mobile app, manufacturer maintenance, and our customer appreciation days.

To educate the customer about these events, etc. after s/he have left the store we strongly encourage the download of our mobile app. The mobile app (via AutoMotion) has been a powerful tool. We use the application for service by geofencing five key service centers in the Frederick area. Namely, our competition. Where we are then able to offer a stronger offer to the customer, which will come in the form of a push notification. It does not get any easier that, seriously.

Note that I do understand that the customer has to have the application to get the push notification. However, because we have such a strong sales to service hand-off, the app is downloaded. And we do, often, see customers coming into the store with the coupon that was targeted to them.

The other means of marketing we do for our customers is offering "text to mobile" coupons online. Knowing what offers will spark interest by reviewing click rate, conversion, and op-code usage in the DMS.

My biggest piece of advice for service marketing starts with what I mentioned earlier. That is educating the customer on the *value* of your service center at the time of the sale. Encouraging them to download the mobile app where s/he will receive special offers. Having that foundation enables you yet another platform to market your service center.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Service is arguably the most important part of the dealership. That said, at Frederick Nissan we do several different forms of marketing. The most important form of marketing starts with our "Sales to Service Handoff." Educating the customer on what s/he can expect from the service department. That is everything from scheduling an appointment online or on our mobile app, manufacturer maintenance, and our customer appreciation days.

To educate the customer about these events, etc. after s/he have left the store we strongly encourage the download of our mobile app. The mobile app (via AutoMotion) has been a powerful tool. We use the application for service by geofencing five key service centers in the Frederick area. Namely, our competition. Where we are then able to offer a stronger offer to the customer, which will come in the form of a push notification. It does not get any easier that, seriously.

Note that I do understand that the customer has to have the application to get the push notification. However, because we have such a strong sales to service hand-off, the app is downloaded. And we do, often, see customers coming into the store with the coupon that was targeted to them.

The other means of marketing we do for our customers is offering "text to mobile" coupons online. Knowing what offers will spark interest by reviewing click rate, conversion, and op-code usage in the DMS.

My biggest piece of advice for service marketing starts with what I mentioned earlier. That is educating the customer on the *value* of your service center at the time of the sale. Encouraging them to download the mobile app where s/he will receive special offers. Having that foundation enables you yet another platform to market your service center.

Derrick, I agree with you on the value of having a dealership app and really leveraging it for service. There's some great technology happening that will allow dealers to do exactly what you're pointing out... show VALUE! This is where dealers really struggle with their service department. It's where they're getting eaten alive and have no idea it's happening.

What defines VALUE for the consumer in your service department?

and much more...marketing, coupons, updates, up sells, communications...etc.

What makes texting so valuable to the consumer? I'm not disagreeing what so ever. Matter of fact, I totally agree that offering the ability to text communicate with our service customers could/can provide your dealership a huge advantage. Everyone LOVES convenience and they're willing to pay for it (with-in reason). But do you limit text communications in your service department to non solicitations ONLY?

Derrick, I agree with you on the value of having a dealership app and really leveraging it for service. There's some great technology happening that will allow dealers to do exactly what you're pointing out... show VALUE! This is where dealers really struggle with their service department. It's where they're getting eaten alive and have no idea it's happening.

What defines VALUE for the consumer in your service department?

VALUE to the customer is defined by a) certified Nissan's techs handling their vehicle b) pricing is competitive relative to major repair shops (despite the notion that many people assume the dealer is more expensive), and c) Nissan's One to One Rewards program. Rewarding the customer for servicing their vehicle - earning 3% per service R/O. Those rewards are then able to be used on future repairs/services.